Higher Maths :: Post-Exam Discussion :: 2010 :: Did you make it out alive? Watch

Poll: How did you find it?
Very hard. Thank god for appeals/resits! :( (34)
20.36%
Not too sure, and I don't want to think about it. :indiff: (68)
40.72%
Very easy! :thumbsup: (27)
16.17%
I don't care if I failed [i]or[/i] passed, maths is finally done with! :talkhand: :dancing: (8)
4.79%
Shoot me now. :bawling: (30)
17.96%
sootster
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure garlicbreadman is right because you times 3/5 and 3/root13 i think so the base must be 5root13?
ukdragon37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sootster)
I'm sure garlicbreadman is right because you times 3/5 and 3/root13 i think so the base must be 5root13?
I'm confused. :confused: 6/(5root(13)) is what I got and also what garlicbreadman got so I don't know where's the mistake...?
JoshCurran
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sootster)
I got this too.
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ukdragon37)
I'm confused. :confused: 6/(5root(3)) is what I got and also what garlicbreadman got so I don't know where's the mistake...?
I have corrected the typing error guys,

here is the corrected doc:

View Higher Mathematics Answers (Full Paper - 2010)
sootster
Report 8 years ago
It must just be a typo :P Thank god 6/5root13 is right though
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm confused. :confused: 6/(5root(3)) is what I got and also what garlicbreadman got so I don't know where's the mistake...?
6/5root3 or 6/5root13 ?
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by theblackswan)
6/5root3 or 6/5root13 ?
6/5√13
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
6/5root3 or 6/5root13 ?
root13. I meant to type that in the post above :o:

In my solutions it's right. :p:
Shaun Macdonald
Report 8 years ago
Thank you so much to Ukdragon and everyone here!

Thanks to this thread, I have banished my fears of getting a B, I know I am between 88-93% (depends on marked working) and cannot get a B from this range.

I now don'y have to worry about uni, and this was my last year so no resit!

Thank you everybody, thank you!
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
root13. I meant to type that in the post above :o:

In my solutions it's right. :p:
So is mine?
EnsnareTheSenses
Report 8 years ago
I think it was a bit of a mixed bag really - Paper 2 was a real treat... :o:

If I'm being REALLY HARSH on myself, i.e. saying that if I didn't get the right answer, I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (which is kinda the beauty of Maths, even if you didn't get the right answer, you can still pick up many marks for working) , I think I may have got around 100ish. Since last year you needed 93 for an A, and I SERIOUSLY doubt they'll hike grade boundaries back up this year, I think I might (*fingers crossed*) have clenched the elusive A... but I don't know. Haha I screwed up the integration though - ended up getting 45 units^2!! But my mistake was just to integrate between 9 and 0... :p: Did anyone else do that? I think I may still may have picked up about 3 or 4ish, just for (hopefully) integrating okay.

I don't want to think about it anymore!! :yep:

And hey, it was pretty good to know I got 19/20 for the Multiple Choice, that was definitely my favourite part!

I wouldn't stress over it too much guys, after all, there's nothing you can do about it now, and markers are usually more benevolent with marking than you are yourself!

ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by garlicbreadman)
So is mine?
Yes :yep:
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
I think it was a bit of a mixed bag really - Paper 2 was a real treat... :o:

If I'm being REALLY HARSH on myself, i.e. saying that if I didn't get the right answer, I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (which is kinda the beauty of Maths, even if you didn't get the right answer, you can still pick up many marks for working) , I think I may have got around 100ish. Since last year you needed 93 for an A, and I SERIOUSLY doubt they'll hike grade boundaries back up this year, I think I might (*fingers crossed*) have clenched the elusive A... but I don't know. Haha I screwed up the integration though - ended up getting 45 units^2!! But my mistake was just to integrate between 9 and 0... :p: Did anyone else do that? I think I may still may have picked up about 3 or 4ish, just for (hopefully) integrating okay.

I don't want to think about it anymore!! :yep:

And hey, it was pretty good to know I got 19/20 for the Multiple Choice, that was definitely my favourite part!

I wouldn't stress over it too much guys, after all, there's nothing you can do about it now, and markers are usually more benevolent with marking than you are yourself!

I did that too, I also used limit 0 and 9 but was in such a rush I didn't have enough time, hopefully I get minimum 1 mark for knowing to intergrate.

I got 40/40 in multiple choice, but lost 3-5 maks in section b of paper 1. Don't even get me started on paper 2. Thank God for Paper 1

The SQA really haven't thought about this, they should allocate 30mins less to paper 1 and 30mins more to paper 2
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So does everyone pretty much think the grade boundary will remain static this year?
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
I'm confused, what were you meant to use? I used 0 and 9 and got the right answer? (4.5?)
i also did this

took the integral of the top function minus the bottom between 0 and 9

can someone verify that this is a correct method
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i also did this

took the integral of the top function minus the bottom between 0 and 9

can someone verify that this is a correct method
I'm confused, what were you meant to use? I used 0 and 9 and got the right answer? (4.5?)
If you did that didn't you have to find the 3/2th power of a negative number? (and that's pretty iffy)
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah I've heard a lot of people say "oh no I did between 0 and 9" and I don't understand why this is wrong. Mathematically it calculates the area of the triangle and the area under the curve then subtracts them, and gives you the right answer so I don't get what's wrong with it.

ukdragon fancy putting our minds to rest?
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ukdragon fancy putting our minds to rest?
See above
Livesindreams
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay, so I'm going to need some help here to find out if I've passed or not.

Paper 1

In Q21a) I got the wrong midpoint, but I kept working through and got the answer to be 6x+11y=152. Would I get any marks at all? (3)

21c) I guessed it to be BT:TQ = 2:1. But because I got the wrong midpoint and so wrong value of Q I would have lost the marks, but I did show how I would have got it if I had the right point. So again any marks? (2)

23b) I couldn't get what x and y were, yeah I know silly mistakes. So I made up some values, x=4 and y=1. And then got sinb=1/root17 and cosb=4/root17. So any marks there? (4)

c)i) Because of my mistake in b, I messed this one up as well. And got sin(a-b)= 10/root15root17 (2)
ii) Got sin(b-a)= -10/root15root17, so again, any marks in these questions? (2)

Paper 2

2b)ii) I put down that the min/max for cos= 0. Again stupid mistake, but carried it through like you normally would and got max=67.4 and min= 247.4. (2)

3b) I wrote down the radius of the larger circle as root72 and the centre of it to be (-7,-2) (6)

5b) For some reason, I gave the equation and extra x and so made it;
A(x)=x(12x-2x^3) = 12x^2-2x^4. But I worked this out normally and got the max value to be root3. (6)

6c) I screwed this up badly, but I knew to integrate but used A and 0 as the limits, to get 47/3 units^2. (I made my A=5)(7)

Please help and tell me if there is anywhere I could get marks in these questions. Please :puppyeyes:
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you did that didn't you have to find the 3/2th power of a negative number? (and that's pretty iffy)

it was a calculator paper though, but would it have worked?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?