Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    To be fair who tunes in to see girls with little on?
    It's just there as a side thing, the cameramen always find them. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    quote - qatarembassy.net

"According to its geographical location and climate, Qatar is classified as a hot subtropical desert; very hot and muggy between June and August and pleasant between November and February".

For the record, WCs are played between that June-August period.

"Very hot and muggy..."- ideal conditions for football then :rolleyes:

We'll be seeing alot of rubbishy football being played unfortunately, player fatigue, dehydration etc...
    I suppose, they should have gone down South more so the winter would be in our Summer, ie: June/July.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of or found an explanation on how that voting makes any sense... if Belgium/Holland were still in it at the second round, how did they go from 4 votes down to 2?

ReputationRep:
    *Goes to Qatar and shows some people a football, drops football on the ground

Random people in Qatar: What, what is that?

It's a football, you kick it and you play games with it, here see *Kicks ball

Random people in Qatar: Oh foot-ball? Intriguing, we shall introduce this 'foot-ball' into our country, introduce it as a sport and build football stadiums. Seeing as we're hosting the World Cup in 12 years anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Does anyone know of or found an explanation on how that voting makes any sense... if Belgium/Holland were still in it at the second round, how did they go from 4 votes down to 2?
    Peer presure? :confused:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    After looking at previous similar votes, this isn't an unusual thing to happen. As someone said previously, if the delegates knew the numbers after each round then they have every right to change their votes to support a country which has more chance of winning.

Look at the voting for the 2012 olympics:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...12/4656529.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    *Goes to Qatar and shows some people a football, drops football on the ground

Random people in Qatar: What, what is that?

It's a football, you kick it and you play games with it, here see *Kicks ball

Random people in Qatar: Oh foot-ball? Intriguing, we shall introduce this 'foot-ball' into our country, introduce it as a sport and build football stadiums. Seeing as we're hosting the World Cup in 12 years anyway
    When are you going to build a stadium? :holmes:

Oh wait, they already have one. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So glad England did get it. I even laughed my head off when I heard they only got 2 votes. I mean this pathetic country doesn't really deserve to stage any sporting event tbh. Who on earth would want to a boring and unattractive country like England. Some of the major cities look so old and seriously needs modernising. The stadiums look crap compared to the other bidders. Plus the arrogance in this country is probably the main reason why England didn't get chosen. Over confidence and cocky attitudes has got this useless country nowhere.

So glad for Qatar. Beautiful country, great looking stadiums!

Numbers are withheld.

The FIFA members are only told which country is eliminated from the voting. As soon as someone gets the 12 votes then they are elected. Hence the 22 will have voted on the remaining three bids.

Still we can thank god for Small Mercies. The Aussies got Just One

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by unknownking321)
        When are you going to build a stadium? :holmes:

Oh wait, they already have one. :rolleyes:

Great progress from Qatar, a whole stadium. They're on track aint they

I don't wanna hate on Qatar but far as I know, football's barely even played there, it's not prevalent or anything so of all places, Qatar is just so far out

I know Fifa wants to take football to places it's not the national sport in and where they can introduce it but 12 years to make football big in Qatar? I guess it could be done but it's still a far stretch

I don't wanna hate on Qatar but far as I know, football's barely even played there, it's not prevalent or anything so of all places, Qatar is just so far out

I know Fifa wants to take football to places it's not the national sport in and where they can introduce it but 12 years to make football big in Qatar? I guess it could be done but it's still a far stretch
          The thing is, from what I remember, Qatar made one huge concession to FIFA during the bidding, it seems minor to the rest of us, but Qatar's original plan was to stage the tournament in January and February. As the 2011 Asian Cup will be - Qatar are hosting that event.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by unknownking321)
          You're talking to someone who's actually living in Brazil. STFU. :pierre:
          I live in England. Doesn't mean I know everything, or indeed anything, about crime in this country.

ReputationRep:
          Russia bribed Fifa. Putin never bothered going, he was assured Russia was going to win it.

ReputationRep:
          Why don't you English get it, your not good enough just deal with it ffs!

Loving seeing the disspointment on peoples faces, so much hype. Pathetic English *****!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
          can't remember where 2002 was. I thought Germany 2006 was a good world cup tbh. South Africa was crap, really really dire. Empty stadiums, crap football, vuvuzelas, no lasting 'legacy' etc, everything rubbish.
          You say 2010 was the worst in your lifetime yet you only seem to remember two world cups.

Not really qualified to speak then are you?

ReputationRep:

Then you should see the reaction of Qatar when they won the bid compared to Russia. Qatarians were absolutely over the moon while Russians didn't give a **** even though they're hosting it earlier than Qatar. Football is definitely a big deal in Qatar.

ReputationRep:
          The league in Qatar had become popular for a lot of top players having a final payday before retiring - Lebouef, Guardiola, Desailly, Caniggia, Hierro.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
          You say 2010 was the worst in your lifetime yet you only seem to remember two world cups.

Not really qualified to speak then are you?
          why you being such a little ***** about things?! Cut out the hard man language, you computer warrior.

Like a terrible referee, they/poor football & sporting events stand out from the crowd. South Africa WC stood out as an abysmal event. Empty stadiums, very poor quality football matches, vuvuzelas, BS legacy talk...

(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
            Maybe it wasnt a huge conspiracy and they actually chose russia?
            :ditto:

Some of the posts obsessing over a conspiracy are just hilarious. Though I must say I'm surprised England were out in the first round since, in my opinion, their bid was one of the stronger ones alongside Russia's. I'm pretty sure Spain-Portugal and Holland-Belgium have fiscal problems, and the latter's stubborness in not improving their stadia didn't exactly help. Regarding Spain-Portugal, I just don't think hosting a WC is what either country needed. I think the timing of the Panorama show hurt England's bid more than the fact that they actually broadcasted it. Russia definitely need the WC more than England, and this gives them a chance to both grow and improve its infrastructure etc.

Qatar is the winner that took me by surprise. The heat, their social norms amongst other things all pose serious logistical challenges and it's difficult not to think that oil and money didn't play a part. In that sense, it's a bit of a worry but when people are slating Qatar for their lack of ties to football, it's a bit stupid considering football isn't even the national sport in Australia. Also, of the five countries bidding for 2022, I think Qatar's timezone is definitely more suited to the European TV audience, which lets face it, is the majority. It's a huge gamble, but hopefully it'll pay off. It's definitely the WC I'm looking more forward to, anyways. Who knows, it may end up improving relations between the West and the Middle East. :cyber:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.