Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dace83)
    I have just finished my first year at Leicester, excellent place had a great time. Can I advise that before freshers go in a buy a yearly bus pass to uni from halls that you try a bike first. Much better and quicker

You'll love it
    Was totally planning on buying a bike, cheaper overall and nicer to do, how long does it take from Oadby to the campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrs_17)
    Was totally planning on buying a bike, cheaper overall and nicer to do, how long does it take from Oadby to the campus?
    10-12 mins, its looks like a long way but you get used to it quickly

ReputationRep:
    Hey (: I've firmed Leicester for Biological Sciences, look forward to moving in sometime in September! Can't decide between John Foster or Beaumont and bus pass or bike...

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of getting a bike , cant be asked waiting at the bus stop

ReputationRep:
    Good choice! You won't be disappointed. I did my undergraduate degree in Geology with Geophysics at Leicester, and had an amazingly good time.

The department is very friendly, and the teaching was absolutely exceptional, with excellent facilities. The quality of lecturers is exceptional - latest teaching satisfaction assessment was 98% satisfied - I can personally vouch for that and think it says it all. The department has an excellent range of teaching spaces as well, nearly all teaching was conducted within the Bennett building (where the department is housed), with occasional lectures being in lecture halls outside.

The university is in a good location too, just on the edge of the city. I found it took a little while for Leicester to grow on me as a place, but made so many friends there, and ended up not wanting to leave when I graduated back in 2006. The biggest downside I think is that the halls of residence are a good 2 or so miles from the university (and 3 from the city centre), but the Oadby Student village is in such a beautiful setting that more than makes up fro the distance (I walk everywhere, but as I understood it there was a decent-ish bus service).

I'm currently doing an MSc in Geophysics at Leeds, and the difference in quality compared to Leicester is astonishing (Leicester was far, far better). I'd have given Leeds 3/10 for the standard of the course, teaching and support, whereas I would have given Leicester a clean 10/10.

Sorry for the long post, but I highly recommend Leicester, especially to anyone planning to study Geology or Geophysics.

EDIT: Forgot to add the support at Leicester is second to none - its all available, and I've never seen support even come close to the quality of what I saw at Leicester and I've been to several Universities (Brighton, Leicester, Reading and Leeds - I know, indecisive eh.)

(Original post by Eleri Simpson)
    I Loved Leicester! The buildings have such character and the Geology department was so friendly - so I firmed! To do Geology so excited about October hopefully I get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubberdude)
    Good choice! You won't be disappointed. I did my undergraduate degree in Geology with Geophysics at Leicester, and had an amazingly good time.

The department is very friendly, and the teaching was absolutely exceptional, with excellent facilities. The quality of lecturers is exceptional - latest teaching satisfaction assessment was 98% satisfied - I can personally vouch for that and think it says it all. The department has an excellent range of teaching spaces as well, nearly all teaching was conducted within the Bennett building (where the department is housed), with occasional lectures being in lecture halls outside.

The university is in a good location too, just on the edge of the city. I found it took a little while for Leicester to grow on me as a place, but made so many friends there, and ended up not wanting to leave when I graduated back in 2006. The biggest downside I think is that the halls of residence are a good 2 or so miles from the university (and 3 from the city centre), but the Oadby Student village is in such a beautiful setting that more than makes up fro the distance (I walk everywhere, but as I understood it there was a decent-ish bus service).

I'm currently doing an MSc in Geophysics at Leeds, and the difference in quality compared to Leicester is astonishing (Leicester was far, far better). I'd have given Leeds 3/10 for the standard of the course, teaching and support, whereas I would have given Leicester a clean 10/10.

Sorry for the long post, but I highly recommend Leicester, especially to anyone planning to study Geology or Geophysics.

EDIT: Forgot to add the support at Leicester is second to none - its all available, and I've never seen support even come close to the quality of what I saw at Leicester and I've been to several Universities (Brighton, Leicester, Reading and Leeds - I know, indecisive eh.)
    Thank you very much for all of this! I am looking forward to it immensely now!

ReputationRep:
    What happens next, the last time i herd from Leicester was when they confirmed my accommodation. I have not received any emails after that. Does any one know what the next steps are or when i can expect something (picking classes, making an email account etc...) I am coming from Canada btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macnoob)
    What happens next, the last time i herd from Leicester was when they confirmed my accommodation. I have not received any emails after that. Does any one know what the next steps are or when i can expect something (picking classes, making an email account etc...) I am coming from Canada btw.
    I received an email last week which said they would be sending out a joining pack at some point during the summer. I'm a UK home student, so I don't know if that would apply to international students or not, but I would guess so...

As for making module choices, creating email accounts and so on......... well I would imagine that would be done during the first week of Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised I haven't come across this thread before

I've firmed Leicester for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Firmed for English Literature!

ReputationRep:
    any freshers for 2011/2012 who are planning on studying international business and marketing or any type of business related degree at DMU, let me me know as i have books from my first year that im selling for cheap and are in really good condition

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed Leicester for Artistic make-up and special effects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashlie89)
    I've firmed Leicester for Artistic make-up and special effects!
    nice joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wezzler)
    nice joke.
    Where's the joke there buddy? I'm studying Fda Media make-up and special effects at Leicester College. Now thats funny, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Where's the joke there buddy? I'm studying Fda Media make-up and special effects at Leicester College. Now thats funny, eh?
    No it's not now, but I just didn't think Leicester uni did that course. Now you've said Leicester College it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wezzler)
    No it's not now, but I just didn't think Leicester uni did that course. Now you've said Leicester College it makes sense.
    Well I did think this thread was for Leicester in general! As Leicester has both Leicester Uni and DMU. Will be staying in student halls though, so not out of the general mix!

ReputationRep:
    Well I did think this thread was for Leicester in general! As Leicester has both Leicester Uni and DMU. Will be staying in student halls though, so not out of the general mix!
    Cool. Do you know what halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Cool. Do you know what halls?
    Should be staying in Mansion court (Benjamin Russell) you?

ReputationRep:
    Should be staying in Mansion court (Benjamin Russell) you?
    Oh, I'm at Leicester uni! Nevermind!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what date we're supposed to move in? I know the term date's October 2nd but do you need to go a week before or something? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.