Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexTreece)
    Can't cannabis cause mental conditions such as schizophrenia etc if you are prone to such things (ie you have undetected mental instabilities)? Some anecdotal evidence for this came from my 6 form tutor. he taught a kid once, a quiet and thoughtful type. he tried weed and now is in full time care. i have no reason to disbelieve my tutor, hes a sound guy, but i would like to know if this is just an urban myth.

Thanks
    It's true that if you have a pre-existing mental condition then you shouldn't meddle with cannabis, not on a regular basis anyway. Without doubting what your tutor said at all, a kid that seemed 'quiet and thoughtful' to him may well have been suffering from depression and it may not necessarily have just been the weed that messed him up.

I don't think anyone can really come to any harm from just trying cannabis once as long as they don't over do it. It's very ignorant to encourage everyone to do it though, because for anyone with a pre-exisitng mental condition (which covers an awful lot of people nowadays) the effects can be very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm a chicken.

:chicken:

I've not tried it because I'm genuinely not interested. I've never seen the appeal and, also, I don't have any contacts that could get me any weed to try even if I wanted to. I won't lie - the legal issue and associated stigma also counts against it.

However, I have nothing against others smoking weed (my housemate smokes weed in his room, doesn't bother me one bit) and I'm not some kind of anti-drugs zealot

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Krov)
      Unlike you, some people think jeopardizing your health (and life) isn't reasonable.
      Shocking, isn't it ?
      fair enough I assume you also dont drink or smoke then too by that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AlexTreece)
      Can't cannabis cause mental conditions such as schizophrenia etc if you are prone to such things (ie you have undetected mental instabilities)? Some anecdotal evidence for this came from my 6 form tutor. he taught a kid once, a quiet and thoughtful type. he tried weed and now is in full time care. i have no reason to disbelieve my tutor, hes a sound guy, but i would like to know if this is just an urban myth.

Thanks
      Rates of schizophrenia have remained level or fallen around the world, age of onset has remained steady, rates of cannabis use vary from country to country, cannabis use in many parts has dramatically risen. Schizophrenics are more likely to take drugs this is not an urban myth, however that does not mean cannabis causes schizophrenia. Your tutors anecdotal evidence seems like a case of the symptoms preceding the use of cannabis and is more likely to be self medication.

ReputationRep:
      because I honestly dont give a flying ****, I drink alcohol cause I feel like it, never felt like doing drugs, some people do, who cares, im not gonna say that my choice is better or worse because frankly it doesnt mean jack **** to other people anyway, take whatever the hell you like as far as im concerned.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bongboy6969)
      I like smoking te weeds, it gives me super powers....

Seriously though, I don't get why people don't smoke...

I know it's bad for your health etc. but im the type of guy that will try most things (within reason) at least once, whether it be smoking weed, wakeboarding, sky diving, playing golf etc because I want to live my life to the full and don't want to be deprived of new experiances...to be honest that would be a terrible waste of a life IMO

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!

I totally understand if you tried it, and hated it, but if you haven't tried it why knock it? Before people say it's bad for you or it's illegal, please stop and ask yourself why you drank when you were under age and still drink now...:rolleyes:

I just want to know why people miss out on this awesome plant
      I'm not reading the thread, just watching the insane rep war going on here, neg are winning 30-29 atm.

ReputationRep:
      funnily enough, i don't fancy schitzophrenia.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Farrboy)
      This seems like too much of a retarded post to be real. Troll?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Farrboy)
      Tbh.. im pretty sure ive seen more studies showing it DOESNT cause it, than links saying it does.

ReputationRep:

I know it's bad for your health etc. but im the type of guy that will try most things (within reason) at least once, whether it be smoking weed, wakeboarding, sky diving, playing golf etc because I want to live my life to the full and don't want to be deprived of new experiances...to be honest that would be a terrible waste of a life IMO

Obviusly weed is relativley harmless (compred to alcohol etc) so I don't understand the people that are so dead against it, they won't even try it!

I totally understand if you tried it, and hated it, but if you haven't tried it why knock it? Before people say it's bad for you or it's illegal, please stop and ask yourself why you drank when you were under age and still drink now...:rolleyes:

Choosing not to smoke an illegal drug can hardly be described as a 'deprivation'.

Weed is not harmless at all, it causes serious mental health problems and has some of the associated problems of cigarettes because of the material used to keep the spliff alight. I already have a mental health disorder and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, to deliberately inflict that on yourself is utterly foolish and plain stupid, IMO.

I don't drink either, so no get out clause there. And you don't have to try something that is illegal and detrimental to your health to knock it. :rolleyes:
      • PS Helper
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by burgergetsbored)
      hmm a lot of people on this thread seem pretty biased against it, it's proven time and time again to be a safer drug then alcahol in moderation? So why keep arguing?! All this nonsense about it being a gateway drug is rubbish too, it's the person that chooses that road, not any effect on the drug....I've known plenty of people who just smoke weed and have no intention of ever taking anything harder.

Was also proven that when your drunk your brain cells get "tickled" which causes the effects, but then parts of the nerves to them are killed off afterwards. With weed you get the same "tickled" part but when sober again the brain cells are left perfectly fine, so no brain damage. You also can't overdose, it just doesn't work. Vaporising it isn't no way near as bad as smoking it either as nothing is being burnt... so it gets to a level of yeah it might be unhealthy but so is eating junk food. Moderation is the key!
      Way to resurrect an old thread :facepalm2:

(Original post by SAK.A)
      misfits is AWESOME! When is the new series coming out?
      Sometime in Autumn, likely to be around same time as it came out last year

Go to the misfits thread (there is a link to the society and the thread in my sig) :ninja:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MovingOn)
      Choosing not to smoke an illegal drug can hardly be described as a 'deprivation'.

Weed is not harmless at all, it causes serious mental health problems and has some of the associated problems of cigarettes because of the material used to keep the spliff alight. I already have a mental health disorder and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, to deliberately inflict that on yourself is utterly foolish and plain stupid, IMO.

I don't drink either, so no get out clause there. And you don't have to try something that is illegal and detrimental to your health to knock it. :rolleyes:
      The fact that it is illegal means absolutely nothing, so you need to stop saying it in a way which suggests weed is bad. Not wanting to break the law and not wanting to smoke weed are not the same thing. The fact that it is illegal probably isn't a contributing factor to your decision not to have tried it, you are just using it to try and justify your decision.

People's reasons for not doing it really don't add add up (the following list is not necessarily personal to you, but in general):

I don't do it because it's illegal - You probably have illegal pirate copies of songs on your ipod, or have broken the law at some point

I don't do it because it damages my health - You probably drink alcohol and if you don't you are still likely to partake in activities which are just as bad, if not more bad, to your health.

These are the main two reasons people use. But are they really the reasons? Or is it because of the effect society has had on people? When you think of "drugs" do you automatically think of only weed/cocaine/ecstasy or do you think what drugs actually are; anything which alters your state of consciousness. People really are misinformed and misled, consciously or otherwise.

The fact that you see weed as a deliberate infliction of a mental disorder onto myself shows how misguided you are. You are no different to the deluded people of Uganda who have been brought up to believe homosexuality is wrong and that it reduces your lifespan by 24 years.

ReputationRep:
      LOL you don't drink either? WOW! You must be LOOOOOAAAADDDS of fun! I bet you have tons of friends! haha or maybe not.....

You like being in control of your brain...fair enough...but I can pretty much gurantee (yeah the politically correct anti-drug/alcohol/fun crowd will jump on me for this) that I have had alot more good times then you have....

so if you don't drink either, what exactly do you do when you go out with friends?

don't tell me you go out and dance while your totally sober?

(waits for this loser to tell me "I don't enjoy clubbing" lol)

mate, look outside your window, become a normal student, get wrecked, get a girlfriend, and have fun...but your probably not confident enough...
      I think your argument starts to lose credibility when you start personally attacking people on an internet forum...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dubs_ski)
      I'm not reading the thread, just watching the insane rep war going on here, neg are winning 30-29 atm.
      lol I haven't beenon TSR in a few weeks, and I just noticed this now you quoted me...

lol rep war over my initial comment

I know who'se side im on (the one that doesn't cave into peer pressure, has an indpendant mind to realise that cannabis doesn't cause brain damage and isn't what "they" want you to believe it is"

I have to lol at the non smokers who say "I don't give in to peer pressure, I have an idependant mind." and then they follow up by aying "plus I heard it causes brain damage, could make you homeless etc etc." lol

funny how the "non pot heads" who haven't fried their brain, look the most retarded...on this forum and in real life

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
      Way to resurrect an old thread :facepalm2:
      Hey I'm just putting my opinion forward, didn't ask anyone else to comment..... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

I cant stand the smell, thats my reason.

ReputationRep:
      Because honestly, I can't be arsed...

Love the smell of the stuff though!

ReputationRep:
      Number one - I do not drink.

Number two - There is no reason why I should try cannabis.

The questions I always ask myself when there is a health (or health related) decision to make:

"Is it beneficial to your brain?"

"Will it enhance your brain performance?"

"Will my longevity be enhanced?"

Cannabis scores a "NO" on all the above questions. Therefore, I am not interested in "trying it" - the same stands for alcohol.

P.S. I am a life extension enthusiast, therefore the "You only have one life, so live it to the fullest" stance does not appeal to me to make me be reckless and silly.

I travel the world, meet new people, do new things etc - but stupid and reckless activities do not come into this "live life to the full" of mine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Krov)
      You assert that :

- I am no fun to hang around.
      - I don't have friends.
      - You have [sic] a lot more good times than I do
      - That I am not confident enough
      - That I don't have a girlfriend
      - That I am abnormal
      - That I am not confident enough in my own skin
      - That I never have fun and enjoy sulking
      - That I don't like clubbing.

That's a ****load of ad hominems Sherlock. I am impressed.
      Can you also predict my future ? It might be useful.

People like you are the reason I have so little faith in humanity.
      Sorry for the neg, I meant to +rep. Will try to correct that sometime.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.