The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234

As for living with a fat person - who would want to date someone who is lazy ( so would be lazy around the house with cleaning etc) and lets not forget, they would be unattractive as well.
But to put it simply, find me an attractive and in shape person who dates a fatty.:rolleyes:

This is just ridiculous. I live with a skinny girl who isn't at all keen on housework and a size 12/14 girl (not fat, but bigger than me). The size 14 girl works 12 hours a day and then comes home and sweeps the floor because it has a speck on it or something. She doesn't mind cleaning, I don't mind walking down to the shops to get stuff, that's just personal preference.
Original post by The*Doctor's*Rose
Heh, you're not even worth the words i could type as a defence. I just laughed.

Point proven. Rather then a mature answer, yet another person breaks down to petty insults. :rolleyes:

Original post by Holly Hiskey
Fat people can strive to look good as well.....?
Why do you have to be so obnoxious about this all the time? I mean really, I don't think anyone disagrees that it's better to be a "healthy" but no-one else gets as hung up as you about the weight of someone that they don't know, have never seen before and will probably never see again

Not obnoxious, simply blunt. If you are fat, you will not look good. It is that simple. Though please could you tell me why if someone tries to look good the persons 'seems to have his head stuck his own arse'?

This is just ridiculous. I live with a skinny girl who isn't at all keen on housework and a size 12/14 girl (not fat, but bigger than me). The size 14 girl works 12 hours a day and then comes home and sweeps the floor because it has a speck on it or something. She doesn't mind cleaning, I don't mind walking down to the shops to get stuff, that's just personal preference.

12-14 is not fat ergo your example is a little bit pointless. Also, does the skinny girl do exercise, or just eats nothing?

Original post by death.drop
I don't find him unattractive. I can't speak for him I suppose on the eating front but he doesn't pig out at home so I'm sure he could restrain at work if he wanted to. He's 24.

I don't really feel less attractive. I've never placed a great deal of importance on looks, my own or others.
I was always naturally slim until I started on the medication. Now it's an entirely different matter.
I do enjoy food (although it doesn't mean a huge amount to me), and I don't really care about my looks as long as I feel healthy and happy. Basically I don't see the point in making a real effort for something I don't give a toss about.

I can't argue that my boyfriend is rubbish with housework :tongue: but then I'm a bit of a clean freak and I'm a total fatty!
As I've said many a time, you can't judge people by their looks.

also I was at the lower end of the healthy scale when I started dating my overweight boyfriend :wink:

anyway, i'm bowing out because this is a lot of boring talk about something which doesn't really matter :smile:

Which would you prefer, the boyfriend who is in good shape, or the one who is fat ? :rolleyes:

Placing no value on looks is a little silly because someones image can say so much about them. If they dress like a slag, they are insecure etc. Also, not caring about ones image is a sign of depression :holmes:.
Ah, you are a clean freak but became fat because of medical reasons. This is very different to someone who is fat due to being lazy.
(edited 13 years ago)

Not obnoxious, simply blunt. If you are fat, you will not look good. It is that simple. Though please could you tell me why if someone tries to look good the persons 'seems to have his head stuck his own arse'?
12-14 is not fat ergo your example is a little bit pointless. Also, does the skinny girl do exercise, or just eats nothing?

Not all people who try to look good- just you. The way you try to put your point across makes you seem arrogant and unpleasant.
The skinny girl eats a lot and does a little low intensity exercise. I go to the gym every day and I still do far far less housework than the other girl. It should also be pointed out that the size 16/18 girl in my friend's house does nearly all of the housework whilst keeping consistently high scores in all of her modules for her medicine degree,
I used to be a size 10. I went on the implant and now i'm a 12-14. Getting it removed tomorrow.
Being fat means you will not look good. Part of looking good is looking attractive and fat is not attractive. This is extremely noticeable in countries which greatly value a persons appearance such as Japan.

Also, stop lying and making **** up. Being unhealthy and out of shape is, and always will be unattractive. This is simple evolution for you. Fat and unhealthy has a lower chance of conception and survival thus is unattractive. If you disagree and have proof then I am sure every biologist would love to know why people have all of a sudden beaten nature.

Sadly though, the mass IS the individual. Your weight is a result of your actions, and your actions sum up what type of person you are. Of course losing weight shows a good change, but do not lie to yourself and pretend that you were miss perfect before hand and that your weight was not a result of negligence and possible emotional issues.
And just to let you in on a secret - almost everyone goes through ****, however some just manage to hide it better then others.....

Those who don't try will never get anywhere as they are complacent and lack ambition. Of course everyone is different, but not trying to be the best you can be only says negative things about a person.
As for fat people, they actually have to go out of their way to be fat as they have to cook more then they need, buy lots of food etc. This shows the person to have many problems.

So he actively chooses to look unattractive, be unhealthy, and make his sporting hobbies harder? Do you think he could stop eating? So he has become complacent at what age? That is pretty sad to be honest.

Why are you happier? Does food mean that much to you or did you always have to try to be thin and now prefer not to have that strain? As I have said numerous times, how can you be happier when you are less attractive? This must lower your self esteem by some degree.

As for living with a fat person - who would want to date someone who is lazy ( so would be lazy around the house with cleaning etc) and lets not forget, they would be unattractive as well.
But to put it simply, find me an attractive and in shape person who dates a fatty.:rolleyes:

A number of points:

- Laziness has little to do with size. it is a personal trait, and like saying tall people are more gregarious (or other such nonsense).

- Size, if not extreme, has little to do with conception. Being overweight in itself will not harm a foetus.

- If being fat denotes being lazy and undisciplined, then surely drinking every weekend and getting sick on town does too, right? The anti-fat argument is that it puts a strain on society, well so does binge drinking, which most younger people engage in.

- Self-esteem is not necessarily based on looks. There is no worthy psychologist who would say it is, or even should be.
This is unbelievable!
That woman is gorgeous and I don't care what anyone else says. I doubt she does either!
Why are you so worried about her appearance, OP?
You're not going out with her and I doubt you ever will be, not that that bothers you.
I only hope that you are lucky enough to find someone who looks perfect and won't ever develop wrinkles, grey hair, or any other unavoidable blemish.

Seriously, go away and worry about something relevant, that will have some impact on your life.
Point proven. Rather then a mature answer, yet another person breaks down to petty insults. :rolleyes:

No, i really meant it when i said i laughed at you. You've been going on about dealing with the reality that people are fat and unattractive. Well take it in that i think you're making a fool of yourself, the entire TSR society thinks you nothing more than a troll and your defence tactics over your claims are rubbish. :awesome:
i don't do insults, i'm not that immature; i just go straight to the truth, i don't have the patience to muck around anymore.
/thread.
Reply 387
Original post by Amuroray
Its the truth.Going to the gym or doing some sort of exercise doesnt hurt.

You're deluded and soft on every single thread i see.

Grow up.

lol I got hurt sparring today

PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

RAWR!!!
No, i really meant it when i said i laughed at you. You've been going on about dealing with the reality that people are fat and unattractive. Well take it in that i think you're making a fool of yourself, the entire TSR society thinks you nothing more than a troll and your defence tactics over your claims are rubbish. :awesome:
i don't do insults, i'm not that immature; i just go straight to the truth, i don't have the patience to muck around anymore.
/thread.

Yeah, I guess Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Leonardo Dicaprio etc. are going out with fat, women aren't they..........OH WAIT :rolleyes:
But heck, you keep living in your little bubble where you being fat was a curse from the wicked witch. :biggrin:

Not all people who try to look good- just you. The way you try to put your point across makes you seem arrogant and unpleasant.
The skinny girl eats a lot and does a little low intensity exercise. I go to the gym every day and I still do far far less housework than the other girl. It should also be pointed out that the size 16/18 girl in my friend's house does nearly all of the housework whilst keeping consistently high scores in all of her modules for her medicine degree,

Oh I forgot, people like you like everything to be sugar coated and it is always best to lie in case the truth might offend someone. Well tough **** dear, that is how it is and if you don't like it, then go away. :rolleyes: All the fat people I habe known have done jack **** house work and are practically happy to wallow in their own filth as it is easier then cleaning up after themselves.

Original post by rajandkwameali
A number of points:

- Laziness has little to do with size. it is a personal trait, and like saying tall people are more gregarious (or other such nonsense).

- Size, if not extreme, has little to do with conception. Being overweight in itself will not harm a foetus.

- If being fat denotes being lazy and undisciplined, then surely drinking every weekend and getting sick on town does too, right? The anti-fat argument is that it puts a strain on society, well so does binge drinking, which most younger people engage in.

- Self-esteem is not necessarily based on looks. There is no worthy psychologist who would say it is, or even should be.

Well find me a lazy person who goes to the gym or is fit.....:rolleyes:
Although a personal trait, it leads to being overweight.

Overweight people are deemed unattractive due to what a person finds instinctively attractive. A fat person has lower chance of survival etc, hence it is unattractive.

You rightly pointed out that binge drinking is a problem, however this shows issues to do with rebellion and maturity, rather then being lazy. However most people grow out of this, where as most fat people remain fat for the majority of their life as it become a lifestyle choice, such as becoming an alcoholic.
Self-esteem is based on a few factors, looks is one of them. As an example, do you think a fat person would hit on an attractive in shape girl?

Original post by Gaeilgeoir
This is unbelievable!
That woman is gorgeous and I don't care what anyone else says. I doubt she does either!
Why are you so worried about her appearance, OP?
You're not going out with her and I doubt you ever will be, not that that bothers you.
I only hope that you are lucky enough to find someone who looks perfect and won't ever develop wrinkles, grey hair, or any other unavoidable blemish.

Seriously, go away and worry about something relevant, that will have some impact on your life.

Unless OP leaves this country, the media condoning being overweight will heavily effect his life and is extremely alarming. If you think she is gorgeous, then how would you describe VC models?
Also, being fat can be easily avoided where as ageing can not so your comparison is utterly wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)

Oh I forgot, people like you like everything to be sugar coated and it is always best to lie in case the truth might offend someone. Well tough **** dear, that is how it is and if you don't like it, then go away. :rolleyes: All the fat people I habe known have done jack **** house work and are practically happy to wallow in their own filth as it is easier then cleaning up after themselves.

Actually I'm nothing like that; however I don't see how insulting people who are either happy with their weight or unhappy with it but having problems shifting it can help anyone at all. I also think that keyboard warriors like you are fine in principle, but why don't you actually do something about it? I've been gym buddies with one of my friends who wants to lose weight and get fitter for a few months and it's working out really well for both of us- why don't you do something like that instead of blasting plus size models from behind a computer screen? Although maybe I've misjudged you and you run some kind of free weight loss club to aid people in their weight loss :biggrin:
That's what you've seen; in my experience there is no correlation between weight and housework.
Yeah, I guess Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Leonardo Dicaprio etc. are going out with fat, women aren't they..........OH WAIT :rolleyes:
But heck, you keep living in your little bubble where you being fat was a curse from the wicked witch. :biggrin:

I know fat people who clean up after themselves. Who doesn't, since nobody else will clean a house but the owner/resident?

Well find me a lazy person who goes to the gym or is fit.....:rolleyes:
Although a personal trait, it leads to being overweight.

Not necessarily. Over eating is only one cause of being so. Medical problems, as well as lifestyle issues not related to laziness, contribute. It depends how you define being lazy, which most people are in some sense.

Overweight people are deemed unattractive due to what a person finds instinctively attractive. A fat person has lower chance of survival etc, hence it is unattractive.

There is no evidence of instinctual attractiveness. Saying that most people believe so means little. Most of our common attitudes in our society people just cotton on to, and don't think about logically. There are no general proven absolutes in human physical attractiveness, apart from symmetrical facial features. But even then that is a stretch.

You rightly pointed out that binge drinking is a problem, however this shows issues to do with rebellion and maturity, rather then being lazy. However most people grow out of this, where as most fat people remain fat for the majority of their life as it become a lifestyle choice, such as becoming an alcoholic.
Self-esteem is based on a few factors, looks is one of them. As an example, do you think a fat person would hit on an attractive in shape girl?

I disagree. Self-esteem is based on self-acceptance, and is the norm in psychological practice. A fat person may hit on an attractive girl, if he was confident enough. A slim guy may not, since being slim doesn't mean one has more confidence. A weak person only bases their self-esteem on being physically desirable.
she is slightly overweight

Unless OP leaves this country, the media condoning being overweight will heavily effect his life and is extremely alarming. If you think she is gorgeous, then how would you describe VC models?
Also, being fat can be easily avoided where as ageing can not so your comparison is utterly wrong.

That's a narrow way to look at it. Whilst it can be avoided in many people who eat too many Big Macs or whatever, there are plenty of other who cannot avoid it due to many possible reasons. Low metabolism perhaps.
Besides, I don't agree that this girl is fat in the first place. When I think fat, I think a lot bigger than that. So she has nothing to avoid, as far as I can see. She looks fine!
That's a narrow way to look at it. Whilst it can be avoided in many people who eat too many Big Macs or whatever, there are plenty of other who cannot avoid it due to many possible reasons. Low metabolism perhaps.
Besides, I don't agree that this girl is fat in the first place. When I think fat, I think a lot bigger than that. So she has nothing to avoid, as far as I can see. She looks fine!

No no no. Sorry, but you are just wrong.
Only 10% of people overweight are overweight due to medical reasons. Everyone else needs to eat less and/or do more exercise.
Ask a doctor about his opinion on her. She will be overweight and most guys will not find her attractive. All that has happened is that your idea (and the average British perception) of fat is actually obese or morbidly obese.
As for looking fine, how does she look compared to a real model - say a VC model? :rolleyes:

Actually I'm nothing like that; however I don't see how insulting people who are either happy with their weight or unhappy with it but having problems shifting it can help anyone at all. I also think that keyboard warriors like you are fine in principle, but why don't you actually do something about it? I've been gym buddies with one of my friends who wants to lose weight and get fitter for a few months and it's working out really well for both of us- why don't you do something like that instead of blasting plus size models from behind a computer screen? Although maybe I've misjudged you and you run some kind of free weight loss club to aid people in their weight loss :biggrin:
That's what you've seen; in my experience there is no correlation between weight and housework.

You do like to sugar coat the truth. This is obvious as you accuse me of insulting people when I actually have not, I have merely stated facts or a simple opinion.
As for helping fatties, I am in the process of getting a rather overweight to go to the gym however it is my experience that most can not be helped as they have to admit that they are overweight/have a problem.

Original post by rajandkwameali
I know fat people who clean up after themselves. Who doesn't, since nobody else will clean a house but the owner/resident?

Not necessarily. Over eating is only one cause of being so. Medical problems, as well as lifestyle issues not related to laziness, contribute. It depends how you define being lazy, which most people are in some sense.

There is no evidence of instinctual attractiveness. Saying that most people believe so means little. Most of our common attitudes in our society people just cotton on to, and don't think about logically. There are no general proven absolutes in human physical attractiveness, apart from symmetrical facial features. But even then that is a stretch.

I disagree. Self-esteem is based on self-acceptance, and is the norm in psychological practice. A fat person may hit on an attractive girl, if he was confident enough. A slim guy may not, since being slim doesn't mean one has more confidence. A weak person only bases their self-esteem on being physically desirable.

Again, medical problems only account for roughly 10% of overweight people so stop using them as a reason.
being lazy is pretty self explanatory when it comes to weight eg the person does no exercise. This will cause a person to burn off less calories and probably gain weight.
Do your research before commenting on evidence of attraction. Many studies have shown that it exists, just have a look at the 0.7 ratio for women.
You actually show why it is very unlikely that a fat person has high self-esteem. If it is based on self-acceptance, then they have to accept that they are overweight and the many reasons why they are overweight. If they then proceed to ignore this problems after accepting them, then they are inherently a bad person. What is more likely is that they accept their problems and then deal with them resulting in a change of lifestyle and weight.
No no no. Sorry, but you are just wrong.
Only 10% of people overweight are overweight due to medical reasons. Everyone else needs to eat less and/or do more exercise.
Ask a doctor about his opinion on her. She will be overweight and most guys will not find her attractive. All that has happened is that your idea (and the average British perception) of fat is actually obese or morbidly obese.
As for looking fine, how does she look compared to a real model - say a VC model? :rolleyes:

No need to apologise at all. It's you who's wrong. You're so narrow-minded, it's unbelievable. This woman is not fat. Sure, she's slightly bigger than most models but I bet that she is so much more of a person than any of these "real" models you talk about.

As for this 10% statistic, I wouldn't be sure about that.
A complete underestimation. :rolleyes:

"Point proven. Rather then a mature answer, yet another person breaks down to petty insults"

Hmm, who said this...
let's face it, you rather suck at this, don't you? :rofl:
No need to apologise at all. It's you who's wrong. You're so narrow-minded, it's unbelievable. This woman is not fat. Sure, she's slightly bigger than most models but I bet that she is so much more of a person than any of these "real" models you talk about.

Google it. You will see that I am correct about the 10%. :redface:
She is fat. You probably think that obese is fat, and fat is slightly tubby. As for real women.....

There is a good reason why these women get paid more in a month then she will get paid in 5 years....
"Point proven. Rather then a mature answer, yet another person breaks down to petty insults"

Hmm, who said this...
let's face it, you rather suck at this, don't you? :rofl:

Oh look at that. You completely avoided my first line proving me right on my idea that you live in a bubble of denial.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would.

The woman is most certainly fat. Not morbidly obese, but fat nonetheless.

Does this matter? No. It's her body. If she's comfortable in it, that's all that matters. What right do I have to criticise her for her life choices?

But, she is fat. That's just a statement of fact.

On the statistics.. I don't know. But this is an interesting graph:

So in an adult population, less than 3.2% should be obese due to health concerns... But 23% of UK is obese? So that means at least ~20 out of 23 is down to life choices.
(edited 13 years ago)

Oh look at that. You completely avoided my first line proving me right on my idea that you live in a bubble of denial.

That wasn't an insult.

Latest

Trending

Trending