Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yep you can.

ReputationRep:
    You can. Press the right button on the highlighted title and you'll see a delete option. All content dowloaded can be downloaded again later if you change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer18)
    I've been unsure about getting one too. My mum was going to get me one as a treat for doing well in my exams after first year but she wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not and am still in two minds! I love books, but it does seem much more convinient. The main factor that puts me off is that a large amount of my reading is done by the pool or actually sat in the pool on holiday! Obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with a kindle.

That said, I had a mess around with my flatmates and I did like it. The screen actually looks like paper (a bright screen was another off-putting factor) and I like the way it tells you how far in you are etc. Not sure....
    Well, I got a kindle for Christmas so had it decided for me!

Complete surprise but I am well chuffed with it . Can't stop messing around with it and downloading books. Didn't think I would be this happy to have one!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I tend to mostly read in bed and I prefer to lie sideways, and if you're reading a paper book it's always really easy to read the one page but incredibly awkward to read the opposite one I find. Makes reading when I'm tired soooo much easier.

With the Kindle it doesn't matter though, I could easily even read upside down if I wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    I googled this yesterday and found a tutorial with a few links on it. http://mashable.com/2010/12/25/free-kindle-books/

Decent sites if you have a look through. Most of them are older 'classics' though as they need to be out of copyright in order to be legally free.

Once you find one you want, you need to look for the kindle edition (depending on the website it'll be in different places, but it'll be obvious), click and then it'll come up with a box. You want to click save and save it to your kindle (computer>kindle>documents - something like that) while your kindle is connected to your computer via USB.

Hope that's helpful..

When you work it out you may be interested in these cheap (not free!) books that Amazon has for 12 days.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/26/a...adds-hundreds/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by aliphatic)
      Definitely. I tend to mostly read in bed and I prefer to lie sideways, and if you're reading a paper book it's always really easy to read the one page but incredibly awkward to read the opposite one I find. Makes reading when I'm tired soooo much easier.

With the Kindle it doesn't matter though, I could easily even read upside down if I wanted to.
      Heh, I always have that problem myself. I end up drawing my knees up and resting the book there instead but it gives me cramp if I stay in the position for too long.

These sorts of benefits are often overlooked though. Another example is that since they're both substantially lighter than a chunky paperback (let alone a hardback) they're invaluable for people who struggle to hold things - I know of a lady with rheumatoid arthritis who wouldn't be able to read without it because of the weight of books and finds it fantastic, especially with the ability to make the text size bigger as eyesight fails.

ReputationRep:
      This is all I'm saying:
      http://www.freebookspot.es/

You'll need this as well:
      http://calibre-ebook.com/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tooambitious)
      hey.
      im a bit f a techno-idiot so please frgive me, but how do dwnload free ebooks (not from amazon store) onto my kindle, which programsn do i use? which websites? and then how do i get from my computer to my kindle?

any help would be greatly appreciated
      If you find yourself using some of the sites suggested above then Calibre is great. It gives you more options on managing your books than the default Kindle PC software does. As soon as you plug your Kindle into the computer (using the white USB cable) and load up Calibre your Kindle will be available to view. If you purchase books from Amazon then they should be automatically sent to your Kindle the next time it has an internet connection too.

Amazon will mainly be your outlet for buying books, and it's also a good place to look for most free books. Classics (books such as Treasure Island, Great Expectations, The Illiad, etc) should be able to be downloaded for free, and there are also a number of new authors who will publish their books for free so you might be able to pick up stuff that you wouldn't normally expect to read.

Project Gutenberg is a good site to look on if you want a bigger variety of books. All of them are out of copyright so can be downloaded for free legally.

Various other websites on the internet offer free books. Note however that some publishers (most notably Apple iBooks) will encrypt their books so that they can only be read on an Apple device.

ReputationRep:
      You just put any ebooks you have into the documents folder via USB. Most of the Project Gutenberg books are available for free from the Amazon store though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
      This is all I'm saying:
      http://www.freebookspot.es/

You'll need this as well:
      http://calibre-ebook.com/
      Are these free and legal..?

ReputationRep:
      Certainly free. I'm not at all sure about legal, but they make it look like they are. Calibre doesn't supply books, anyway, just the means of converting the different formats so you can get them onto your kindle. The other one advertises itself as a 'library.'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
      Certainly free. I'm not at all sure about legal, but they make it look like they are. Calibre doesn't supply books, anyway, just the means of converting the different formats so you can get them onto your kindle. The other one advertises itself as a 'library.'
      Ahh I see. I'll check them out then, thank you .

ReputationRep:
      I got a kindle for Christmas and found free books on Amazon

ReputationRep:
      The top link contains books that are still copyrighted so I very much doubt it's legal. I can't see why Calibre wouldn't be legal though.

If you don't wish to break the law but are looking for some free books, all of the free ones on Amazon and Project Gutenberg are perfectly fine to download.

ReputationRep:
      Ahh I see. I'll check them out then, thank you .
      Don't tell anyone I told you, just in case....

You'll need to use Calibre after you've downloaded the book from freebookspot to be able to use it. I'm not saying it's not complicated....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jismith1989)
      You just put any ebooks you have into the documents folder via USB. Most of the Project Gutenberg books are available for free from the Amazon store though.
      I've seen a few that aren't free on Amazon but are on Gutenberg, so for old books it's always worth checking both sites before you pay.

Also cheers for my sixth gem. :yy:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by foxo)
      The top link contains books that are still copyrighted so I very much doubt it's legal. I can't see why Calibre wouldn't be legal though.

If you don't wish to break the law but are looking for some free books, all of the free ones on Amazon and Project Gutenberg are perfectly fine to download.
      Yeah, that's what I was wondering..

I've downloaded a number from amazon/project gutenberg but as they're mostly classics I'm assuming they'll all be somewhat challenging, and I'm wanting a few easy reads (the likes of Jodi Picoult etc) for during term time! Can't believe they're still around £6 on amazon for electronic versions..

ReputationRep:
      Calibre, as suggested above, is an absolutely brilliant program for anyone with a kindle And to reiterate what someone said above, by plugging your kindle into your computer, you can copy books straight into the "documents" folder under "kindle" .

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, that's what I was wondering..

I've downloaded a number from amazon/project gutenberg but as they're mostly classics I'm assuming they'll all be somewhat challenging, and I'm wanting a few easy reads (the likes of Jodi Picoult etc) for during term time! Can't believe they're still around £6 on amazon for electronic versions..
      They're not all challenging. If you're looking for a free, light read then I recommend The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Gulliver's Travels, Frankenstein and Dracula. Despite a few of these often being described as books for children they can all certainly be enjoyed by adults.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.