Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wacabac)
    Why? This is purely conjecture on your part and not worth debate unless you have evidence of where such a group has caused controversy.
    The thread title is:

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university

so of COURSE it involves conjecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    The point is that a non-exclusionary "black" society would rais eno objections whereas a non-exlcusive "white" one IMO would.
    Essentially all that is left to dispute then is how the term 'black' is used in this context. Does it simply denote race or does it denote a certain political and cultural movement? Basically we need to outline what the term 'black' means in the context of a 'black' society. I would argue it references a certain cultural and political identity of a racial minority. I thus think a white society would be innappropriate, as the term 'white' would be too broad in the context of British society, and doesn't refer to the same specific cultural identity as 'black' does in this context.

That sounded slightly rambling, please excuse me I'm slightly drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    More specific than white cuture?

how so?
    Yes, more specific than this supposed "white culture" label, are you going to even attempt to explain what "white culture" is?

Black culture is understood to be that of African-Americans; quite specific I'd say. So are you going to explain what this nebulous "white culture" is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    The point is that a non-exclusionary "black" society would rais eno objections whereas a non-exlcusive "white" one IMO would.
    Actually as posted earlier, it does raise objections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    The thread title is:

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university

so of COURSE it involves conjecture.
    But how can you debate without evidence? If you have no evidence of where such a group/society has been started, then at least give reasons why you believe such a group would cause controversy and different to that of a Black society (which we have shown has caused some controversy, so there would be no suggested double-standard)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Essentially all that is left to dispute then is how the term 'black' is used in this context.
    Well you have also argued that the double standard might be justified on the basis of historical factors.

(Original post by Laika)
    Does it simply denote race is does it denote a certain political and cultural movement? Basically we need to outline what the term 'black' means in the context of a 'black' society. I would argue it references a certain cultural and political identity of a racial minority. I thus think a white society would be innappropriate, as the term 'white' would be too broad in the context of British society, and doesn't refer to the same specific cultural identity as 'black' does in this context.
    But black socieites deal with such an array of cultures that I just dont agree that "white" is a much broader ter, Even then I dont agree that if it was broader that would mean the society was "silly" as has been put.

(Original post by Laika)
    That sounded slightly rambling, please excuse me I'm slightly drunk.
    heh... I wish I could say the same... in fact - that's given me an idea.

ReputationRep:
    But how can you debate without evidence? If you have no evidence of where such a group/society has been started, then at least give reasons why you believe such a group would cause controversy and different to that of a Black society (which we have shown has caused some controversy, so there would be no suggested double-standard)?
    I suppose from other instances where the term "racist" is thrown around with far too much gusto, and because of cultural sensitity towards groups with the word "white" in the title. A "white" entertainment channel for instance that played only WHITE music, or a "white poverty scholarship fund"... these sorts of thigns.

TBH I could get google out and search for examples of the PC police gone wild, to show that there would be likelihood that it would happen here... but its a bit late...

Still - this thread has highlighted the fact that people might WELL raise objections that such a society was not needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Actually as posted earlier, it does raise objections.
    Really? When was that posted? What objections?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, more specific than this supposed "white culture" label, are you going to even attempt to explain what "white culture" is?
    I have a nice diagram on this post. I forget which page - it's fairly clear.

Black culture is understood to be that of African-Americans; quite specific I'd say.
    Huh?? Seriously? You think "black culture" refers mainly to black AMERICAN culture? Even in this country? That will come as news to West Indians, Somalis, Nigerians, Zambians, etc etc... Indeed, much of Muslim Africa wouldnt dare be associated with mainstream african amerian culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Really? When was that posted? What objections?
    See first paragraph, Post 367.

ReputationRep:
    See first paragraph, Post 367.
    Thanks. Interesting, although I maintain that there would be far more outcry the other way... but yes, i take the point that no everyone would keep quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I have a nice diagram on this post. I forget which page - it's fairly clear.
    Please give a reference.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Huh?? Seriously? You think "black culture" refers mainly to black AMERICAN culture? Even in this country? That will come as news to West Indians, Somalis, Nigerians, Zambians, etc etc... Indeed, much of Muslim Africa wouldnt dare be associated with mainstream african amerian culture.
    OK then:

Black: belonging to a racial group having brown to black skin, especially one of African origin.

So either you are talking about African culture, or African-American culture. There is not really African-British culture, we just inherited elements from black American and black African culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Thanks. Interesting, although I maintain that there would be far more outcry the other way... but yes, i take the point that no everyone would keep quiet.
    Well you have given no evidence and no reason as to why there would be any more of an outcry, would you like to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Please give a reference.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...68#post4425068

Black: belonging to a racial group having brown to black skin, especially one of African origin.

So either you are talking about African culture, or African-American culture. There is not really African-British culture, we just inherited elements from black American and black African culture.
    There is certianly a specific black culture in the UK

In the different islands in the Windies ...

Africa is fecking huge... if "black" is taken as "african" then that coers HUGE numbers of cultures.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have given no evidence and no reason as to why there would be any more of an outcry, would you like to do so?
    (Original post by Lawz)
    I suppose from other instances where the term "racist" is thrown around with far too much gusto, and because of cultural sensitity towards groups with the word "white" in the title. A "white" entertainment channel for instance that played only WHITE music, or a "white poverty scholarship fund"... these sorts of thigns.

TBH I could get google out and search for examples of the PC police gone wild, to show that there would be likelihood that it would happen here... but its a bit late...

Still - this thread has highlighted the fact that people might WELL raise objections that such a society was not needed.

ReputationRep:
    Let me make this point before I go to bed because this is getting ridiculous:

If Black culture is such an undefined term, why is it used so frequently for something quite specific? I think you are playing dumb, to be honest, just to prolong the agony of this debate. Why do Black (or similarly titled) societies exist if it is such a vague thing? Surely it would be better to have sub-divisions to unite those who are interested in more specific things than just Black culture? But Black culture is specific; if people want to be moreso then they can, but Black culture is a phrase very much in use.

If "White culture" is such a reasonably specific term, why is it barely ever used, and normally in a context of white supremacy or white domination, thus rendering it unsuitable for a society title? Your diagram proves my point that "white culture" is an incredibly vague term, of no use whatsoever, incorporating many, many completely different cultures (again demonstrated in your diagram)? Why have a society for "white culture" when someone who is interested in French culture may not be interested in German culture? That is why country-specific societies exist, not just a "white" society; a "White" society would serve no purpose whatsoever, or by that logic perhaps you think there should be a Northern Hemisphere Society, or a 0-180 degrees longitude society, or a Human Society? Equally as vague and as useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

Would you like to give real evidence or do you intend to continue to fabricate your own and conjecture about everything?

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to give real evidence or do you intend to continue to fabricate your own and conjecture about everything?
    Considering there is no REAL evidence as no one has tried to set one up,p no such evidence is available. I am giving an opinion which is based on analogy.

How exaclty have I "fabricated my own evidence"?

ReputationRep:
    [quote=wacabac]Let me make this point before I go to bed because this is getting ridiculous:

If Black culture is such an undefined term, why is it used so frequently for something quite specific?
    Perhaps it is used imrpecisely.

Additionally, it is also used in its wider sense.

I think you are playing dumb, to be honest, just to prolong the agony of this debate.
    Yes yes ... that's precisely what I want to do. You caught me. :rolleyes:

Why do Black (or similarly titled) societies exist if it is such a vague thing? Surely it would be better to have sub-divisions to unite those who are interested in more specific things than just Black culture? But Black culture is specific; if people want to be moreso then they can, but Black culture is a phrase very much in use.
    As is white culture. Ask the BNP.

Regardless I disagree entirely with your ridiculous premise - namely that a "black" society is one that focuses on "african american culture". Your entire post is based upon that notion...

ReputationRep:
    Essentially what you are saying is:

"black culture" means african american culture - so its really mostly about rap, RNB, and the like - so thats very specific indeed, and means a great deal.

"white culture" is meaningless because I dont hear it that often.

Nevermind the fact that many "black" societies dont even begin to limit themselves to "afrian american" culture.

Anyway - this is the same point over and over. I am going to bed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.