Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help I have gone through this a million times and still don't get the definition.
    'What exactly can it mean for ignorance to be related to what is not? Surely f I don't know the rose, having never encountered it, then this dosent mean that my state of mind is about a nonexistent rose, but rather that it is not related to anything. Similarly that if I don't know it is red or mistakenly believe it is red when in fact it is pink and so I am ignorant about a certain fact about it then it sounds equally ignorance is about a rose which is not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJustMeAgain.x)
    It's possible, I had a look on the AQA specification and it said:
    Essay questions will focus on the following problem areas:
    • freedom of the individual
    • individual development
    • democracy.

But that still seems sort of vague to me, if they can ask something specifically on the harm principle then why not applications too?
    That makes me wince. Does it mean that Harm Principle, and freedom of thought and discussion come under the first bullet point?
    If so, it seems really likely that the 2011 questions will reappear :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lingo-Flamingo)
    Oops, I didn't realise that the harm principle wasn't listed as an actual topic in the specification AQA really don't give us much to go on, do they?!
    Nope, they like to keep us on our toes I'm still worried about one on democracy because that's what people seem to think is coming up and I'm not sure I'd have enough to write on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsaneMosaic)
    That makes me wince. Does it mean that Harm Principle, and freedom of thought and discussion come under the first bullet point?
    If so, it seems really likely that the 2011 questions will reappear :/
    It's possible? The issue with the Harm Principle is that it's a theme throughout the book so it could theoretically come under any of the bullet points or in an essay on it's own (which it already has). I have no idea what to expect when the specification is so vague on what can come up on it's own or as one large topic.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they like to keep us on our toes I'm still worried about one on democracy because that's what people seem to think is coming up and I'm not sure I'd have enough to write on it
    Neither am I! I'm in the process of typing up some notes on Mill though, including stuff on tyranny of the majority, so I can send those to you when I'm done if you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lingo-Flamingo)
    Neither am I! I'm in the process of typing up some notes on Mill though, including stuff on tyranny of the majority, so I can send those to you when I'm done if you like?
    That'd be useful (if you don't mind of course) Hopefully they give us nice questions either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillymander95)
    All you really need to know about the Faculties argument is that "faculties" are powers that we hold in order to apprehend "objects/fields" and are distinguished by their "effects".

Faculties are said to be the same if they deal with the same objects and have the same effects.
    Faculties are said to be different if they deal with different objects and have different effects.

An example:
    FACULTY: Sight
    OBJECT/FIELD: Colours
    EFFECT: The ability to see

FACULTY: Hearing
    OBJECT/FIELD: Sounds
    EFFECT: The ability to hear

As these two faculties deal with different objects and have different effects, they are said to be different.

Plato applies this line of reasoning to his distinction between knowledge and belief.

FACULTY: Knowledge (accessed through intellect and reason, a product of the mind)
    OBJECT/FIELD: What is (Being, reality)
    EFFECT: To know things infallibly

FACULTY: Belief (accessed through sense perceptions, a product of the sense)
    OBJECT/FIELD: What is and What is Not (Darker than knowledge, but clearer than ignorance)
    EFFECT: To know things fallibly (as opinion/belief is not the same as true justified knowledge)

Also, I do think you're right in suggesting that this may come up as a 15 marker, so thanks for suggesting it! It'd odd how there's quite a lot to the area of "Appearance and Reality", yet there's been no 15 markers on it. They won't ask "political rule" again, I don't think, nor "Knowledge and Virtue" since there's not a whole lot to ask, and they plunged in with Thrasymachus in 2010...

I hope this helped! If you're still unsure/want criticisms, ask me bro! x

Ah, I love Philosophy, but it's almost over guys, we're so close to liberation
    Hey just looking for some advice, you seem you know alot.. I've only gotten through appearance and reality and half of knowledge + virtue textbook wise... Should I get through the rest of the book then make the detailed mindmaps after

Left this exam last minute

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any high grade example essays again for this paper? 15 mark and 50 markers...

Preferably Plato but just need the exam technique more than anything!!

Thank you ))

ReputationRep:
    Also any predictions for Plato?

I've only revised appearance + reality (by revised I mean made notes on..) and half of knowledge and virtue...

Is there any way I can cut corners so I can focus on the stuff to remember orrrr should I just have a late one tonight doing all the notes then tomorrow focus in?

Sooooo lost, help would be appreciated- as you can see from my last two urgent posts haa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camilla321)
    Does anyone have any high grade example essays again for this paper? 15 mark and 50 markers...

Thank you ))
    There's some exemplar answers (with commentary!) on the AQA website It looks like the example ones on Plato got 36/45 and 37/45 respectively, so they might be worth a look!

ReputationRep:
    the only criticisms for a question on democracy that i know are:

- he misuses the word tyranny
    - some opinions are too offensive to be heard
    - we need help, there are other values, and the best way to make decisions is via an entity voted for by the majority
    - without democracy, we lack social cohesion

does anybody have any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkkassikassi)
    the only criticisms for a question on democracy that i know are:

- he misuses the word tyranny
    - some opinions are too offensive to be heard
    - we need help, there are other values, and the best way to make decisions is via an entity voted for by the majority
    - without democracy, we lack social cohesion

does anybody have any more?
    I highly recommend looking at the mark schemes for the past papers - they're laid out really nicely and tell you all the potential content http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/philo...d-mark-schemes

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN11.PDF (for democracy)

ReputationRep:
    Hey just looking for some advice, you seem you know alot.. I've only gotten through appearance and reality and half of knowledge + virtue textbook wise... Should I get through the rest of the book then make the detailed mindmaps after

Left this exam last minute
    Haha, thanks

That's actually a really good idea. The rest of knowledge and virtue won't take you too long, and if you work consistently tomorrow, you'll speed through Political Rule, since it's mostly similes. Then yeah, detailed mindmaps, bullet pointing arguments, talking about all the similies. A mindmap is really useful since you only have to worry about one philosopher, and perhaps a few additional characters (Glaucon, Thrasymachus, etc). Best of luck, but sounds like you can do it!

ReputationRep:

Thank you ))
    Here's a 45 marker I did on "Political Rule" last month. It got full marks.
    Obviously, this wasn't done in timed conditions, so don't worry too much over my evidently fussy details as I really wouldn't have time to go into them in an exam - neither would anyone!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx “Democracy provides the most just and efficient form of political rule”.docx (18.3 KB, 209 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hk17)
    I need help I have gone through this a million times and still don't get the definition.
    'What exactly can it mean for ignorance to be related to what is not? Surely f I don't know the rose, having never encountered it, then this dosent mean that my state of mind is about a nonexistent rose, but rather that it is not related to anything. Similarly that if I don't know it is red or mistakenly believe it is red when in fact it is pink and so I am ignorant about a certain fact about it then it sounds equally ignorance is about a rose which is not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, this is badly worded on behalf of those "Philosophy in Focus" books (albeit, really good textbook in general)

Basically, to translate it:

• How is it possible for ignorance to be related to "what is not"?
    • If I do not know what a rose is, then this does not show that I am thinking about an object that doesn't exist (what is not), but instead, I am failing to understand the object as I have never seen it before.
    • As I have never seen it before, it is not related to anything in my mind.
    • If I am to say the rose is pink, when actually, it is red, I am not thinking about a non-existent pink rose, but instead, I am failing to understand that the rose is red.
    • Plato seems to be claiming that ignorance, is a state of mind where we grasp objects on non-being (nothingness, what is not, they don't exist), when really, ignorance is when we just misunderstand a certain fact about something.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Plato Unit 4 (Or any topic in Unit 4 actually) feel a little skeptical over the mark schemes?

Like honestly, I've been looking through them for the 45 mark questions, and many of the possible answers aren't ones that you'd immediately think to put in the answers, and certainty are not ones on the specification. I'm trying not to worry about it too much, but you know what AQA are like - the examiners don't really have a ****ing clue and just go literally by the mark schemes...Moreover, they're really brief. I think this explains my low C (1 UMS off a D) in last year's unit 2 exam - I was pretty confident my arguments were good and my knowledge was good, so at least a B, but when I looked at the markscheme, I found it very different to the spec, so I assumed the examiner went purely by the markscheme...(I resat and it was fine, but still.)

ReputationRep:
    If a vague 45 mark question on assessing/evaluating the forms comes up, I should do really well

anything else and I'm screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillymander95)
    Anyone doing Plato Unit 4 (Or any topic in Unit 4 actually) feel a little skeptical over the mark schemes?

Like honestly, I've been looking through them for the 45 mark questions, and many of the possible answers aren't ones that you'd immediately think to put in the answers, and certainty are not ones on the specification. I'm trying not to worry about it too much, but you know what AQA are like - the examiners don't really have a ****ing clue and just go literally by the mark schemes...Moreover, they're really brief. I think this explains my low C (1 UMS off a D) in last year's unit 2 exam - I was pretty confident my arguments were good and my knowledge was good, so at least a B, but when I looked at the markscheme, I found it very different to the spec, so I assumed the examiner went purely by the markscheme...(I resat and it was fine, but still.)
    I feel pretty much the same way. But through examining it seems that if a question about forms come up basically describe the forms, similes and then criticisms, if Philosopher kings, describe Phipsopher Kings, similes and criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Descartes for Unit 4? How's everyone feeling about the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if people are aware of this site or if it's been posted before but this site has loads of free resources that concisely covers the entire syllabus (I think, it covers all the Hume stuff I'm doing)

It's pretty much amazing? Glad I found it on the final hour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.