Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Heat under reflux and distil is a con, you cant do both, you just had to say distil.
    Marks:
    Acidified (1)
    Dichromate (1)
    Distil (1)
    Wasn't the question something like what are the conditions to oxidise an alcohol, and how could he make sure that only the aldehyde was produced or something? Or what was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    Wasn't the question something like what are the conditions to oxidise an alcohol, and how could he make sure that only the aldehyde was produced or something? Or what was it?
    Yeah it wanted the reagent(s) and conditions to make sure you formed an aldehyde, and thats to distil it, refluxing would give you a carboxylic acid

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it wanted the reagent(s) and conditions to make sure you formed an aldehyde, and thats to distil it, refluxing would give you a carboxylic acid
    Damn that sucks I always thought you could "reflux and distil off the product" and my teachers never corrected me...So do you think that would lose 1 mark then? Would I get the other 2 for acidified potassium dichromate?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Pandora's Box)
    Does this mean that it was neutral?
    Google is your friend. Quick search shows tyrosine neutral and polar (http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembo...structure.html).

ReputationRep:
    Damn that sucks I always thought you could "reflux and distil off the product" and my teachers never corrected me...So do you think that would lose 1 mark then? Would I get the other 2 for acidified potassium dichromate?
    Yes you should do, only 1 mark though

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for that rate question with the graph?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should do, only 1 mark though
    Only 1 mark lost or only 1 mark gained?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattywooda)
    Google is your friend. Quick search shows tyrosine neutral and polar (http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembo...structure.html).
    I love, so it was definatly neutral?

Did you do that past papers? As these exact conditions have come up on several past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    I love, so it was definatly neutral?

Did you do that past papers? As these exact conditions have come up on several past papers.
    I did one, and that was my mock.

ReputationRep:
    Only 1 mark lost or only 1 mark gained?
    Lost

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure tyrosine should be acidic, because the twitterion is neutral, and there is a phenol group as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    What did people put for that rate question with the graph?
    That was a weird question. I said something along the lines that the rate increases as the concentration of Mn increases from x to y, as it's being used up; then as Mn's concentration starts to tail off from y to z it's because the product is being formed. I really don't know about that question.

(Original post by CureSam)
    I'm pretty sure tyrosine should be acidic, because the twitterion is neutral, and there is a phenol group as well?
    Yes it should be acidic due to the extra phenol group

ReputationRep:
    for me, this exam was better than f335!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CureSam)
    Regardless of what you think it's neutral. Unless your saying this source is wrong?

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembo...structure.html

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of what you think it's neutral. Unless your saying this source is wrong?

Yeah that source says it's neutral in water, but in the exam it was in NaOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)ella)
    Yeah that source says it's neutral in water, but in the exam it was in NaOH
    Naoh wasn't mentioned in that specific question im afraid, it said only aqueous solution(in water).

ReputationRep:
    Naoh wasn't mentioned in that specific question im afraid, it said only aqueous solution(in water).
    Oh okay my bad, wow that was a mean question

ReputationRep:

I put down neutral, but I don't know if my reasoning was correct. Could you explain what would you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstebanK0)
    I put down neutral, but I don't know if my reasoning was correct. Could you explain what would you write?
    I said because the positive charge of the NH3+ group balances the negative of the COO- group.. I'm not saying that is right though :P

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they actually allowed
    -neutral and justification
    or
    -acidic and justification

I was torn which one to write and went for neutral in the end but it seemed pretty tricky.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.