The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hello calum
Good idea :cool: I just wanted to be really really close to the gym :L

Westwood is as good as a gym for me. I'll be getting a workout from having to walk miles on to campus everyday.
Reply 381
I personally haven't been drinking for at least 2 years now (I used to when I was like 14-16), however, out of curiosity, have any of you non-drinkers considered perhaps drinking on some night outs and when you start to meet new people at freshers as more of a sociable purpose? I'm starting to think that I probably will begin drinking when I do go out and go to bars/clubs, I just wont be doing it excessively. Either way, it can't be too bad and if you are not one who enjoys to drink then I completely understand and it's certainly a very sensible thing to choose not to do.

Good luck guys! :smile:
Original post by chubbycharms
Westwood is as good as a gym for me. I'll be getting a workout from having to walk miles on to campus everyday.

Haha, yeah :L the maps make the university seem small with everything near eachother, but when I was there I saw just how big it is! :eek:
Original post by Luke070
I personally haven't been drinking for at least 2 years now (I used to when I was like 14-16), however, out of curiosity, have any of you non-drinkers considered perhaps drinking on some night outs and when you start to meet new people at freshers as more of a sociable purpose? I'm starting to think that I probably will begin drinking when I do go out and go to bars/clubs, I just wont be doing it excessively. Either way, it can't be too bad and if you are not one who enjoys to drink then I completely understand and it's certainly a very sensible thing to choose not to do.

Will probably give into peer pressure abit on freshers week, just to calm the nerves haha. But even then probably one bottle of wkd would be my limit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
really hope freshers week won't be boring for us :') i mean i obviously still want to go out (sometimes) but, what actually is there to do?
Original post by ddaappoo
really hope freshers week won't be boring for us :') i mean i obviously still want to go out (sometimes) but, what actually is there to do?

theres a girl i know, second year student, who never drinks (apart from the odd champagne glass at a formal event). she has a really nice group of friends still, and goes to the pub all the time but instead of ordering a beer or whatnot she orders a diet coke etc.. :smile:

there are other events apart from drinking too... for example when i went down to plymouth (boyfriend is student there), we were invited to singstar parties. granted people did drink a little bit (its really funny trying to sing whilst under the influence of alcohol! your voice goes all wavey), but it was mostly about the competition of singing!

there are plenty of socials that can be done without the drink :smile:
Original post by megfashion
theres a girl i know, second year student, who never drinks (apart from the odd champagne glass at a formal event). she has a really nice group of friends still, and goes to the pub all the time but instead of ordering a beer or whatnot she orders a diet coke etc.. :smile:

there are other events apart from drinking too... for example when i went down to plymouth (boyfriend is student there), we were invited to singstar parties. granted people did drink a little bit (its really funny trying to sing whilst under the influence of alcohol! your voice goes all wavey), but it was mostly about the competition of singing!

there are plenty of socials that can be done without the drink :smile:

makes me feel a little bit better :smile: i just keep constantly hearing about how it's made to be about drinking and getting 'smashed' lool
Original post by ddaappoo
makes me feel a little bit better :smile: i just keep constantly hearing about how it's made to be about drinking and getting 'smashed' lool

not going to lie, alot of people do get "smashed". personally, i have never seen the point of it... whats the point in having a "great night out" if you arent going to remember it?! ive only been drunk twice, first time i couldnt remember half the stuff, and to be honest thats annoying as it was a great party haha. second time i kept rambling and telling people secrets... that was interesting...

i think its really a matter of personal interest. one party i went to i didnt get drunk, and all the drunk people didnt really care ahah, they were happy to dance around me acting all drunk! its actually quite funny to watch.

being hyper is better anyway :P . from the perspective of someone who has got both drunk, hyper and nothing at all... hyperness is by far the way to go in my perspective, you FEEL drunk without the side effects ahah
I'm a non-drinker too! absolutely hate the taste of it; I'll stick to j2os or shloer :tongue:
That's the part of freshers I'm not particularly looking forward to; hopefully my uni will be nice and accommodate non-drinkers so we can make friends too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by Luke070

I've never drunk alcohol before, so we'll see, I suppose. :p: I don't intend to, tbh. I won't close the option absolutely because it's simply a choice I've made rather than something religious or whatever, but yeah.
Original post by george.e
Sorry, I only just saw this! I applied for liberty house, then uni halls, then taly north, and that's it!:smile: where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about it. :smile: Colum Hall was my second, Taly North 3rd-5th and then Taly Court and some other options just to fill up the rest of my choices.

I really wish we could find out which halls we've been allocated sooner, some other Unis have allready told their applicants. :'(
Reply 391
I've found a place where I belong! Hooray!

I'll (hopefully) be attending Newcastle this September. Anyone in a similar situation?
I drink now and then (Ciders), but I hate getting smashed or being out of control.

Having said that, I wanna meet people who don't drink as the drinking culture in uni can be off putting.

I'm James btw :hi:
Original post by James A
I drink now and then (Ciders), but I hate getting smashed or being out of control.

Having said that, I wanna meet people who don't drink as the drinking culture in uni can be off putting.

I'm James btw :hi:

I never would have guessed :wink:

Heyyyy how you doing? :smile:
Original post by constantmeowage
I never would have guessed :wink:

Heyyyy how you doing? :smile:

haha, it was pretty obvious xD

Yeah man I'm doing alright, just finished my A-Level exams (only had some to do because I'm on a gap year now!)

You?
Original post by James A
haha, it was pretty obvious xD

Yeah man I'm doing alright, just finished my A-Level exams (only had some to do because I'm on a gap year now!)

You?

Feel like they went well? :smile:

Eh, not bad. Thought I'd being enjoying my freedom a bit more, but I'm bored after like one week of being off! -.-
Feel like they went well? :smile:

Eh, not bad. Thought I'd being enjoying my freedom a bit more, but I'm bored after like one week of being off! -.-

yeah, they went really well, so I'll be on target for AAB (which is what I need to get into Reading :P )

Yeah my last exam was the Wednesday that just went by and I feel bored already :sad:

I'll be looking for some cars tomorrow, because I'll be getting a first car soon!

Anything planned for the weekend?
Original post by James A
yeah, they went really well, so I'll be on target for AAB (which is what I need to get into Reading :P )

Yeah my last exam was the Wednesday that just went by and I feel bored already :sad:

I'll be looking for some cars tomorrow, because I'll be getting a first car soon!

Anything planned for the weekend?

Ooh exciting, have you already passed your test? :smile:

Nope ;( I'll just be silently refreshing my Amazon Order Tracker page hoping it comes soon :frown:
Ooh exciting, have you already passed your test? :smile:

Nope ;( I'll just be silently refreshing my Amazon Order Tracker page hoping it comes soon :frown:

Nah, not yet :P

Failed first time, but that was due to me being a little hesitant.

What did you order from Amazon :ninja: ? (if you don't mind me asking). :colondollar:
Original post by James A
Nah, not yet :P

Failed first time, but that was due to me being a little hesitant.

What did you order from Amazon :ninja: ? (if you don't mind me asking). :colondollar:

The thought of driving makes me feel really responsible for the safety of the world...hence why it makes my stomach churn. :tongue:

...a couple of books...? :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending