Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    well i ****ed that up...tolerance was predicted okay, but somehow i got the timing alllll wrong.never mind. hope everyone else did well
    I believe I did quite well! Didn't you get to finish your questions off? :\

ReputationRep:
    yes but badly...when i revised i only really had time to cover autonomy based, and neutral so got a bit flustered when trying to get inegrate conservative approach etc. well done to you anyway

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do Free Will & Determinism? The 30m was about Compatibilism and I was a bit stressed over it but I think it wasn't too bad...if anyone else did that q, what did you put?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajackson1)
    Did anyone do Free Will & Determinism? The 30m was about Compatibilism and I was a bit stressed over it but I think it wasn't too bad...if anyone else did that q, what did you put?
    I did a determinist response to the claim, a libertarians response and then a compatibilists response!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollie_cliffe)
    I did a determinist response to the claim, a libertarians response and then a compatibilists response!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey guys,my teacher gave me a plan for the same question( just worded differently) and since I remembered the essay plan I was basically regurgitating the info! Did you guys put hume I am my desires,Sartre Metaphysical freedom v. political freedom etc.? As I was writing it, I knew that it seemed like the right thing to write, but struggled actually relating back to the question a little bit. Did you guys write anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    PHIL2 questions for knowledge of the external world were nasty! 30 mark wasnt on the spec, naughty AQA 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The 30 mark was about naive realism - you had to defend or defeat it. As long as you talked about that or maybe representative realism, you might not have done so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay141)
    hey guys,my teacher gave me a plan for the same question( just worded differently) and since I remembered the essay plan I was basically regurgitating the info! Did you guys put hume I am my desires,Sartre Metaphysical freedom v. political freedom etc.? As I was writing it, I knew that it seemed like the right thing to write, but struggled actually relating back to the question a little bit. Did you guys write anything similar?
    I gave an example of an event, said how a determinist would explain it, how a libertarian would view it, and how a compatibilist would try to explain it with both, then why I thought the compatibilist was wrong/contradictory.

I also talked about the compatibilist claim that your reasons/views are determined but not your actions, and that this must be wrong as we base our actions pretty much completely on our reasons so our actions must too be determined

ReputationRep:
    I am very very worried that in the FW 15m about predestination I called it Fatalism at least once D: but I can't remember! I wish I could remember what I put but I was too nervous! I hope I didn't label it wrongly as otherwise I'm sure it was a good answer - I'll be gutted if I lose out on like 10 or more points just for a stupid mistake!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajackson1)
    I gave an example of an event, said how a determinist would explain it, how a libertarian would view it, and how a compatibilist would try to explain it with both, then why I thought the compatibilist was wrong/contradictory.

I also talked about the compatibilist claim that your reasons/views are determined but not your actions, and that this must be wrong as we base our actions pretty much completely on our reasons so our actions must too be determined
    well I was arguing the opposite and so concentrated on explaining how they were both able to work together! I talked a lot about desires, similar to yours saying they are determined but we are free to act on them etc. this was a retake so I didn't really remember half of the course so I had to blag it, now I'm worried lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do God and the World and Knowledge of the external world, if so, what were your thoughts on the questions? Also what kind of answers did you give?
    I quite liked the paper, they were essays I had done before, so i basically regurgitated them.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite good actually. The tolerance 15 mark question was easy, the 30 mark was fine- nothing unexpected
    The Value art was fine- nothing I hadn't revised for- not perfect but fine.

EDIT: And I get a negative. If it makes anyone feel any better, I screwed up my English exam and I've had a horrible day.

ReputationRep:
    +1 that.
    I find that with The Value for Art, so long as you have your own personal preference, you can very much tailor any 30 marker they give you into basically writing an essay on your own argument for why we value art. For information I just talked about portraits, and how an example of why we may value this is present with the recent royal portrait of Kate Middleton. Many people thought it represented reality truthfully and therefore it was widely positively recieved. With that in mind, it got negative feedback too, as people thought it made her look older and frailer. It wasn't truthful and therefore some people didn't value it. After that I used the abstract art argument to show how there was something else aside from just its informal qualities and went over to formalism.

As for tolerance, I thought the questions were brilliant. I did the tolerant racist as an example of the paradox, and for the 30 marker, I described the disadvantages of tolerant societies before smashing the sh*t out of what I wrote with arguments for them.

I managed to fill two AQA 12-page booklets, my examiner's gonna have one hell of a thrill when they recieve my paper >

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was okay, what themes did you do? i did God and the world and Knowledge of the external world.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think the exam went too badly, I was stressing out so much last night as my knowledge on the Free Will topic was really not good, but I think it went pretty well in the end, I think I did well on Value of art as well. I'm just soooooooooo happy that's pretty much Philosophy for me over now, what a nightmare of a subject! I'm pretty sure I'm dropping it next year unless my grades are completely different to what I'm expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waddle)
    I thought it was okay, what themes did you do? i did God and the world and Knowledge of the external world.
    I did those two themes! What did you write about for the external world 30 mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anilkumar)
    I managed to fill two AQA 12-page booklets, my examiner's gonna have one hell of a thrill when they recieve my paper >
    two 12 page booklets?!?!? holy frick
    how much did everyone else write?
    i had two other exams today so my hand was dead, i wrote 10 pgs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waddle)
    Did anyone else do God and the World and Knowledge of the external world, if so, what were your thoughts on the questions? Also what kind of answers did you give?
    I quite liked the paper, they were essays I had done before, so i basically regurgitated them.
    i did God and the World, thought it was pretty good!
    i wrote about wittgenstein and language games for the 15 marker, kinda blanked? im hoping thats ok
    30 marker i was like yo heres some analogies, paley aquinas etc, humes responses, i spoke about intelligent design (darwin behe dembski) then used wisdoms garden parable to show how the basis of teleological arguments can be undermined - beauty design etc is subjective
    i know i wrote more but i cant even remember the exact questions rn, soo tired after all the exams i had

ReputationRep:
    I did those two themes! What did you write about for the external world 30 mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did these two modules too.

For my external world question I basically went through the criticisms of Direct Realism, then gave Direct realist responses to these criticisms. I concluded by arguing it's unfair to call it naive realism when there are so many issues with sense data.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy's weird in a sense of two people can write two completely different things yet get the same marks.

The Value of Art

15 marks - Wimsatt and Beardley with the intentionall fallacy - Kant's view.
    30 marks - For representationalism - Against emotivism

Free and determinism

15 marks - Didn't know what to write just about how predestination is related to God
    30 marks - For compatibilism (Kant) - Against Sarte

Not sure if what I did was right.

ReputationRep:
    I did God and the World and Free Will/Determinism for my paper today; I think the questions were pretty good!
    For the 15 marker on God and the world, i think I talked about Younger Wittgenstein, and then the 30 marker; Paley, criticism of Paley, Behe/Dembski (Intelligent Design) and Darwin. :P

For Free Will and Determinism (I hated this topic so much, I found it so horrible), I talked about how Predestination is free Will, but God determines who goes to heaven/hell? And How Hard determinism involves no free will at all (I think I kinda failed this one?) And for the 30 marker, I fel really confident on - which is surprising. I wrote about Satre and Essenses, Frankfurt and 1st/2nd order desires, then soft determinism and biological/cultural determinism.

I think i did okay overall? I'm hoping the grade boundaries are kinda low, but the questions I did seemed easier than I expected, so I'm not too sure...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.