Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    Yeah but they look at your AS grades. Guess he got AAA took a gap year then reapplied

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't take a gap year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maidoftheseas)
    I didn't take a gap year
    So you applied there with BBEE as your as grades and they still gave you an offer? Can I ask what was your offer? (:
    That is awesome!
    I only need a Distinction * and 2 C's but I don't know if I'll get 2 D's because I'm on that edge so it's really scaring me Thankfully I have my BTEC to lift my UCAS points up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicee)
    So you applied there with BBEE as your as grades and they still gave you an offer? Can I ask what was your offer? (:
    That is awesome!
    I only need a Distinction * and 2 C's but I don't know if I'll get 2 D's because I'm on that edge so it's really scaring me Thankfully I have my BTEC to lift my UCAS points up!
    Hiya, My offer was AAA and thankfully- with a lot of work- I was able to achieve those grades. Wishing you lots of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, My offer was AAA and thankfully- with a lot of work- I was able to achieve those grades. Wishing you lots of luck with your application!
    That is so cool you got that! I'm struggling with only C's haha I'm glad you got what you needed and thank you so much! ^-^

ReputationRep:
    Wish i applied now lol with ABCD.maybe i would have had a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rv6)
    Hey

I got DDE in Yr 12 and am now currently doing my A2. Thank the lord, the 6th form let me in.

I want to do paramedic science at uni and I am limited to choosing unis bcos of my predicted grades. They are CCD. I am going to retake 4 modules from AS to get B's minimum.

Do you think I can get through this year without messing up???

Help!!!!
    Did your predicted grades end up getting changed?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going not going to do too greatly in my current AS-levels. This summer, I WILL start A2 work ASAP. I have 2 questions:

1) In year 13 next year, can I retake every single one of my AS exams? That's 9 exams that I've had in total this year for 4 subjects (maths, economics, physics and history). So, would I be allowed to do all 9 exams as retakes next year, alongside all my A2s?

2) If I get great AS results in the resits, and great A2 results next year too, which would permit me to go to universities like UCL or Imperial, or KCL (for economics/statistics/maths), would I have to skip out and apply for the next year (Sept 16)? Or, should I put these universities in my application for now anyway, seeming though adjustment occurs?

Please could I have answers? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemG)
    I got BCDD in my first year (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Physics) and came out with ABB in Biology, Chemistry and English Lit yesterday. It was a lot of hard work, and will be harder without January resits but it can still be done
    what were you predicted for A2?

ReputationRep:
    I got BACD (mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics, respectively) for AS but left at the end of my A2 year with A*AA [maths, bio & chem, and an A* for a EPQ too]. I turned it around by changing by studying technique:

-Don't take notes during class (this might sound like a bad piece of advice, and I don't think it would work at University or in subjects like languages, but it worked for me at A level) listen to the teacher, ask questions and read through your books in advance. In my first year I spent way too much time writing down notes which I never read again and didn't take anything in even when I was writing them - at A level for sciences, they can't ask you anything outside of the book anyway, so use a different form of note taking instead (which I list below)

-my form of note taking in my A2 year was very different than from my AS year. In my free time, I went through my books and typed up a compressed version of the details on my laptop, then through till the time of the exams I read through these notes every day and compressed them further by deleting segments you are certain you know by heart.

-also when going through past papers (<- very important), be sure to have your own written/drawn version of all the formulas you will need to memorise on hand. (Think about each individual [science] subject this way: you have 3 things to memorise = notes from your book, notes from past paper technique, and the formulas you will need to know by heart)

Good luck everyone on your final exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.
    what were you predicted for a2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwi789)
    I got BACD (mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics, respectively) for AS but left at the end of my A2 year with A*AA [maths, bio & chem, and an A* for a EPQ too]. I turned it around by changing by studying technique:

-Don't take notes during class (this might sound like a bad piece of advice, and I don't think it would work at University or in subjects like languages, but it worked for me at A level) listen to the teacher, ask questions and read through your books in advance. In my first year I spent way too much time writing down notes which I never read again and didn't take anything in even when I was writing them - at A level for sciences, they can't ask you anything outside of the book anyway, so use a different form of note taking instead (which I list below)

-my form of note taking in my A2 year was very different than from my AS year. In my free time, I went through my books and typed up a compressed version of the details on my laptop, then through till the time of the exams I read through these notes every day and compressed them further by deleting segments you are certain you know by heart.

-also when going through past papers (<- very important), be sure to have your own written/drawn version of all the formulas you will need to memorise on hand. (Think about each individual [science] subject this way: you have 3 things to memorise = notes from your book, notes from past paper technique, and the formulas you will need to know by heart)

Good luck everyone on your final exams
    This is really helpful!
    Final few days till my chemistry and biology exams so I'll use your techniques for the final push

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo224)
    what were you predicted for A2?
    BBC, but got offers up to ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemG)
    BBC, but got offers up to ABB
    Did you go through adjustment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
    Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
    First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
    Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september
    Did you resit or did you just do really well in your second year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
    Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
    First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
    Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september
    OMG i got exactly the same results as you today apart from BBCC in the same subjects. You have motivated me to do well in A2 thank you. I am so depressed as I really wanted to apply for medicine but not with my AS results. I'll take a gap year I guess and work my arse off and get those damn As and A*s nxt year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mguindy)
    I achieved BCC at AS, and brought it up to A*A*A in my A2.

With a lot of hard work, large improvements are possible!

Have to say the January modules helped to motivate me from the offset though.
    That's so good! What did your teachers predict you? Did you have to convince them about your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft)
    BBCD at as to A*A*AB (getting the B remarked, was only one off an A!)

Honestly was just down to hard work in the 2 months before the exam. Work smart as well as hard!
    What were you're predicted grades? Did you have to convince your teachers? And if so how did you convince them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got BCDEU in my AS results and was completely heartbroken! I dropped the U in Chemistry, kept my C in Maths (also dropped it), kept my B in English Literature (didn't drop it) and retook the whole Music (E) and General Studies (D) A levels again for the A2 year. I have now ended up with ABC (and my C in AS maths) and ended up adjusting to Lancaster University to do English Literature! My A was in General Studies, the B was English Literature and my C was in Music.

My advice would be to look at the exams themselves. Dissect the past papers, mark schemes and examiners reports until you know that you're ready. I worked really hard last year but didn't do what the examiners wanted to see which was why I had such bad results! If you work hard and know the exams well then you'll get good results.

I know there are many people (especially on this thread) who did a lot better than me without General Studies but I'm still proud of myself!

ReputationRep:
    I did my AS last year and got C C E.
    I retook the year with combinations of Btec and A-Levels. For AS the second time round, I got B C in the two A-Levels i did this year (I don't get my Btec results until next year).

I am happy to enter my final year of college, despite repeating the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got BBDD at AS (I thought I could get away with minimal revision like GCSEs)
    This year I managed ABB. (Psychology, Biology and Chemistry) Both of the Bs weren't far off As.

My chemistry teacher in particular was almost certain i wouldnt get above a C in chemistry. If I saw him on results day I would have rubbed my results sheet in his face.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.