The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DomStaff
What raw mark are you expecting then?

I'll settle for 80% :wink: I got 90% in the coursework (28 page paper btw) so that will help bump my grade up if I get lower.

In terms of content, this was a heavy calculation and application based paper which suits me better than a materials based paper tbh... even so there was a lot of content missing and there was more on lenses than there has been in previous papers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Minecraft27
Which answer is correct? 1380 ohms or 463!?

Can't say for sure, I got 463 though I think.
Original post by JonnyXDA
I'll settle for 80% :wink: I got 90% in the coursework (28 page paper btw) so that will help bump my grade up if I get lower.

In terms of content, this was a heavy calculation and application based paper which suits be better than a materials based paper tbh... even so there was a lot of content missing and there was more on lenses than there has been in previous papers.

I don't get how you can deem it simple/easy then.

How on Earth did you get away with 28 pages, we were limited to 2000 words, which was adequate to score 30/30 overall.
I don't get how you can deem it simple/easy then.

How on Earth did you get away with 28 pages, we were limited to 2000 words, which was adequate to score 30/30 overall.

You had limited wording? That's harsh... most of the 28 pages were tables and graphs with only about 4000 words. The coursework my school did was marked out of 20 though for the experiment and write-up, then 10 for the presentation earlier in the year.

I did both of last years papers and to me both of those were harder as they had a lot more materials content in them... I really don't get on with the materials side.
Original post by rapunzelsa
463. The graph was for the fixed resistor output, which was 3.8

What I rmb was that the total p.d. is 6V and there are 2.2V across the 800ohm resistor. (I really think that it was stated in the question, the fixed resistor hving 2.2V)
If the resistance for the LDR is 463ohm, how can it shares more voltage(6-2.2 = 3.8V) than the 800ohm fixed resistor?

Because OCR logic, yes.
(edited 9 years ago)
You had limited wording? That's harsh... most of the 28 pages were tables and graphs with only about 4000 words. The coursework my school did was marked out of 20 though for the experiment and write-up, then 10 for the presentation earlier in the year.

I did both of last years papers and to me both of those were harder as they had a lot more materials content in them... I really don't get on with the materials side.

Indeed we did, although I wrote 2200 which was condoned. Yes that is what I meant, it was pretty easy to get 20/20 and 10/10 by just following the mark scheme.

The materials are easy, easy marks though providing you have done past papers. I'm annoyed because I was positive I was going to get 100% UMS in AS physics and I usually get 100% raw marks on the past exams, but this paper did throw me a bit. My mark could be anywhere between 50-55. Which I do not like.
Indeed we did, although I wrote 2200 which was condoned. Yes that is what I meant, it was pretty easy to get 20/20 and 10/10 by just following the mark scheme.

The materials are easy, easy marks though providing you have done past papers. I'm annoyed because I was positive I was going to get 100% UMS in AS physics and I usually get 100% raw marks on the past exams, but this paper did throw me a bit. My mark could be anywhere between 50-55. Which I do not like.

Judging from past years though 50-55 will still easily earn you the full MS quota so even though its not full marks its still going to get you an A :smile:
Original post by Shaz xx
is there a thread for this music exam, cos i can't find one?

Only a small one:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2672183&page=3
Judging from past years though 50-55 will still easily earn you the full MS quota so even though its not full marks its still going to get you an A :smile:

I hope so, however the uncertainty is not nice.
What do you guys think a C would be?
Original post by SobsoniK
What do you guys think a C would be?

10/60
Original post by JagdPanther
What I rmb was that the total p.d. is 6V and there are 2.2V across the 800ohm resistor. (I really think that it was stated in the question, the fixed resistor hving 2.2V)
If the resistance for the LDR is 463ohm, how can it shares more voltage(6-2.2 = 3.8V) than the 800ohm fixed resistor?

Because OCR logic, yes.

Umm youve done things in the wrong order. It's the 6-3.8 the 800 ohm resistor should have the 3.8 part of the voltage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilypear
10/60

really?
Add a slice of common sense to that list and I reckon its about right :wink:

So you're implying that people who found it difficult have no common sense? In fairness, it tends to go out of the window when you have five minutes left to complete three 3 mark questions on lenses.

I think people are just annoyed at the fact that the papers always ask questions that are not very closely related to what the specification says. Also, this paper was a massive jump in difficult from past past papers, and also there is a large difference in content. Furthermore, the revision materials for this syllabus are utter ****e. The OCR sponsered revision guide is beyond useless, and the CGP is too basic.

And personally, I don't think an hour is enough time. I do WJEC for my other sciences, and we have 1 hour and a half to do basically the same amount of work. In my opinion, exam boards should aim to give you time to check over your answers - not make it so you are struggling to finish.

Surely you want to award grades based on the student's ability in physics, not their time management skills and writing speed?
Reply 394
Ugh, I revised in totally the wrong way for this. I made a bunch of cards and I learnt all the writing stuff, definitions etc really well and neglected practising calculations, plus I don't do maths. Seems like I won't be doing A levels anymore, I know I failed this.
Original post by LimbuRonit
I don't do computing however I do both sciences and maths. I had done every single past papers from 2003 to 2013. Honestly I have never felt cheated before in my life, the last two questions in my opinion were no way in hell related to physics in any sense. I could honestly cry right now. Bye Bye dental school:frown:

Don't worry about dental school too much mate. You can't do anything about it now and you won't know how well you did till August. And you never know, you might have picked up marks you thought you had dropped, or the markscheme will (hopefully) be a record-breaking low.

Besides I'm sure you've got other exams to do? You should focus on them:smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm trying to get into medical school and did all the papers for the current spec (2009-present). And there was literally nothing I learnt from them. Complete waste of my time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SobsoniK
really?

I'm not sure. If an A is like 35 for example, then a B is around 28, and a C is 21 I guess....but to be honest I can't see an A being too high at all...
Original post by Iridann
Umm youve done things in the wrong order. It's the 6-3.8 the 800 ohm resistor should have the 3.8 part of the voltage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure? cos somehow I rmb that it says '2.2V across the LDR' written in the question itself. Or maybe its just my mind making an image of that up.

Well anyone rmb if that was in the question?
What did people get for the question at the bottom of the first page on section A. Where you were given a graph and had to work out the frequency??
Original post by Clai
Don't worry about dental school too much mate. You can't do anything about it now and you won't know how well you did till August. And you never know, you might have picked up marks you thought you had dropped, or the markscheme will (hopefully) be a record-breaking low.

Besides I'm sure you've got other exams to do? You should focus on them:smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm trying to get into medical school and did all the papers for the current spec (2009-present). And there was literally nothing I learnt from them. Complete waste of my time.

Thanks bud always good to hear a support! I hope you get into med school:smile:
Good luck for the other exams mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending