Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!! Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unluckyinlaw1)
    Can I get a variety of opinions on how much emphasis is placed on module results if the overall degree is a 2:1?

Got A*'s and A's at GCSE and A-Level, but a few 2:2 module results throughout university - 63% overall for Law degree.

Equally, will a variety of work experience/extra-curriculars outweigh them?
    It depends on the results.

An average of 63 with half of them being 1sts and the other half being 2.2s will be less favourable than someone who has achieved 63s in all modules.

Are your 2.2s confined to one year and if so what year? If they are spread out is it literally one per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It depends on the results.

An average of 63 with half of them being 1sts and the other half being 2.2s will be less favourable than someone who has achieved 63s in all modules.

Are your 2.2s confined to one year and if so what year? If they are spread out is it literally one per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mid-high 2.2s and a few 2.1s during the first two years, then in final year mid-high 2.1s across the board.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Freshfields for the Winter Workshops yet? I know the deadline was only recently (27th) but it's still only two weeks before the workshop begins. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It really depends on the firm. You are going to need to speak to/contact the recruitment teams at firms you are interested in and get their thoughts on this.

Some will be very strict on the 340 UCAS points and won't review your form. Others will look at your other grades and make a decision from there, some won't be bothered at all (those with 320 or ABB requirement/those with no minimum A-level grades.

It will also be highly dependent on how strong the rest of your form/CV is though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know any firms who are offering training contracts or vacation schemes that won't be bothered that much with a slight slip in alevel grades? The ones I have been reading up on are all asking for AAB.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone struggling with the HSF application?

The one question that they ask doesn't seem to ask for any HSF specific information? Curious to know how they distinguish between candidates..

ReputationRep:
    Do anyone else think that taylor wessing (international law firm) are harsh with their entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Some applications ask for 250 words to talk about work experience. Would it be bad if I only wrote 150-200 words in these slots? Or is it expected I write as close to 250 as possible?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xLittleMissyx)
    Hi,

Some applications ask for 250 words to talk about work experience. Would it be bad if I only wrote 150-200 words in these slots? Or is it expected I write as close to 250 as possible?

Thanks
    From my experience firms tend to prefer applicants to write a succinct summary of their experiences in a bullet point format. 50 words can be enough, it then gives you points to expand upon if you're invited to an interview.

ReputationRep:
    sending off my macfarlanes app today :O all too real

anyone heard back from macfarlanes yet? (positive or negative)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Do you know any firms who are offering training contracts or vacation schemes that won't be bothered that much with a slight slip in alevel grades? The ones I have been reading up on are all asking for AAB.

Thanks in advance.
    Google "law firm 320 UCAS points" a few come up that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unluckyinlaw1)
    Mid-high 2.2s and a few 2.1s during the first two years, then in final year mid-high 2.1s across the board.
    If the majority or around half of your grades are 2.2s you may struggle. But at the same time you have shown improvement in your final year, so it isn't so much of an issue.

Do you think the rest of your form/CV is strong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Google "law firm 320 UCAS points" a few come up that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from BLP summer scheme? I sent my application on 28th October :/

ReputationRep:
    What are the views on applications that require 500 words for specific questions? Do you have to fill that, or is it okay to write about 200/400 words if that is all you have to write for it? I would much rather write a concise answer than trying to fill the 500 words, but will it look odd if I haven't used the entire word count?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    What are the views on applications that require 500 words for specific questions? Do you have to fill that, or is it okay to write about 200/400 words if that is all you have to write for it? I would much rather write a concise answer than trying to fill the 500 words, but will it look odd if I haven't used the entire word count?
    Conciseness is important. But if you are only writing 200 words in a 500 word count section are you missing some vital details? It will depend on the question being asked, but as someone who reviewed forms, often those who wrote so little often were missing the point of the question. If it's the "why commercial law or why X firm" type question, I suspect you would need to be a bit more thorough (but concise).

400 words isn't really noticeable while less than half is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Conciseness is important. But if you are only writing 200 words in a 500 word count section are you missing some vital details? It will depend on the question being asked, but as someone who reviewed forms, often those who wrote so little often were missing the point of the question. If it's the "why commercial law or why X firm" type question, I suspect you would need to be a bit more thorough (but concise).

400 words isn't really noticeable while less than half is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for your response. The question where I only have 200 words is regarding my main achievements and where it says 'is there anything else you'd like to add'. I will have a re-think and see if there is anything else I can add.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Thank you so much for your response. The question where I only have 200 words is regarding my main achievements and where it says 'is there anything else you'd like to add'. I will have a re-think and see if there is anything else I can add.
    Don't worry so much about that one then. Those are probably one of the few questions where less is more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Anyone struggling with the HSF application?

The one question that they ask doesn't seem to ask for any HSF specific information? Curious to know how they distinguish between candidates..

Yeah I'm having some trouble with it too, there's no word limit either so I'm worried about writing too much and not being concise vs. not writing enough in comparison to others!

They do have 3 online assessments so maybe this helps them distinguish between candidates initially and then I'm assuming they'd be testing 'why HSF/commercial law' more at the AC. Odd though.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, on my macfarlanes app i did 250-350 words (500 allowed) for achievements and non academic interests, and 400-450 for why macfarlanes, why you etc

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard anything back from Clifford Chance regarding the non-law insight scheme?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.