Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibac)
    100!
    It doesn't sound too bad with a min. of 60 points then! Actually sounds pretty damn good It's going to be difficult, but it doesn't seem impossible

(Original post by PatBunker)
    Was really good actually thanks, they gave really helpful advice about admissions and we got to meet some tutors and students
    It sounds amazing! Did they say anything about the TSA?

(Original post by aasvogel)
    Everyone who applies sits the TSA. Those invited to interview are picked based off TSA scores (and grades, personal statement etc).
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woohoo Sounds great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oakflame)
    It sounds amazing! Did they say anything about the TSA?

Yeah, just to do past papers as preparation really
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    Interesting Correlation between number of fIRST CLASS degrees and college wealth --is that because good food and accomodation makes for more productive students. Or is it that he wealthier colleges are more popular with applicants, so they can cherry pick candidates?
    Any thoughts anyone?

There is actually comparatively little difference in the degree results across the colleges and from year to year the rankings can also change a lot, as a result of minor variations in the number of first-class performances, even though the colleges themselves remain fundamentally the same. Essentially these tables are a listing of institutions that all offer attractive academic and social facilities. Some subjects tend to have proportionately a higher or lower proportion of firsts and so over time, when averaged, a college's results may exhibit some compositional bias.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Thanks for that, that makes sense. SO it sounds like it's not worth getting hung up on academic rankings within Oxford colleges.
    For reallocations BEFORE interview, how is that done? For large intakes, like for example PPE, History and English...is it the individual Admissions Officers who reallocate applicants, or the central department? For example if you applied to Worcester for History, and there were 70 other applicants...obviously they can only handle 30 or so for interview. So would Worcester History dons pick out favourites to hang on to, or would a centralised place divvy up the applicants. Are reallocated students strong or weak? Thank you!
    Relocation is done randomly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Relocation is done randomly
    Wasn't the idea that both weak and stong candidates are reallocated so that all the colleges get roughly the same quality of applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Hey applicants! If anyone is interested in applying to study languages at Oxford, I've just written a post on what the course is really like!

https://carambalache.wordpress.com/2...ges-at-oxford/

There's also a link in there to a post about Modern Languages interviews

ReputationRep:
    Yes...i thought that too. But it's quite hard to find out. I'm not sure if it's done centrally, or college by college....:confused:
    It depends on the subject and the numbers involved. For a subject like PPE (mentioned earlier in this thread), candidates are ranked into bands pre-interview depending on TSA score and the UCAS application. A college receiving a lot of applications can reserve a limited number of first-choice applicants - the rest are released and the college receives in return a list of interviewees that may include some released candidates and also students who have been reallocated. The aim is to ensure that the interview pools are balanced and that candidates are not advantaged/disadvantaged by choice of college. Candidates at the top of the initial rankings have a greater likelihood of getting a place but the differences are not that great among most of the students invited for interview so there is everything to play for.

ReputationRep:
    So you could be reallocated from your First Choice College because you weren't strong enough to be reserved by the subject tutors at that college..?
    Theoretically yes. But in practice it's difficult to comment on because it varies on a subject, course and case by case basis. It's not worth worrying or trying to work out really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I actually did, and have now finished, medicine at Merton. I was also very torn between medicine and chemistry right up until applying, and actually did the same a-levels too uncannily. I think your main issue at this stage is not regarding Oxford:

Chemistry and medicine are two completely different courses. Chemistry is a degree similar to any other really. Medicine is a career which lasts the rest of your life for most. Have you researched what being a doctor is like? Have you experienced hospital life, or volunteered for an extended period? Its a huge decision.

Putting Oxford aside, remember how competitive medicine is - 60-65% of applicants get no offers at all. Voluntary work/work experience is expected, as is a strong personal statement focusing on your clinical and caring experience. Wording things wrongly here can literally change your life. I did not get it right and my only offer was Oxford.

The question you asked was for opinions on college choice (about the least important thing ever). The dilemma you've actually proposed is literally what the rest of your life is going to be like. You need to do a lot of research and think about where you see your life going!
    I have done 2 and a half years of relevant volunteering with physically and mentally disabled children, and also half a years (almost 100 hours so far) worth of volunteering in oncology, haematology and A&E. I have 2 weeks of work experience in pharmacy and surgery, with another week of general shadowing scheduled for next week, actually (which I'm nerdily excited for, aha). I've been allowed to witness endoscopies, take notes and question the Doctors involved, which was way too cool.
    My EPQ project is based on the NHS which I felt was a good way for me to show my dedication in finding a medical career? Or is that not helpful? idk.
    I've done a St.Johns ambulance emergency course, NCS summer course, Bronze DoE and have attended 2 Medical conferences. I don't know if this is enough or if it's relevant??
    My main worry is my GCSE's. I'm not from a top school and they made us do 2 GCSE's in the span of just less than a year, which brings down my *% by a slight amount. However, I did do the best in my year by a long shot which I thought might compensate, if slightly. I've done as much as I can possibly do to try and correct this with experience? I was only considering chemistry because many people at school have been putting me down and making me feel like I couldn't get in to medicine (not teachers, just students). I know this seems like a lot of info, I'm just nervous. Do you think I should do any more? If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSE grades? Is there anything else you would suggest? Any suggestions for my personal statement (I've drafted slightly)? I really want to be a medical student, aha. I really want to be a Doctor.
    (sorry for the block of text, sorry sorry)

ReputationRep:
    Umm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Hi, here are mine:

- GCSE grades: 10 A* - very lucky with sciences .

- A-Levels: Latin, Greek, English, History

- Course: Classics I

- College: Not sure....

...thinking of the following, in this order:

- Magdalen

- Brasenose

- St John's

- New

- Merton

I like old and beautiful, interesting tutors, diverse people, college wealth, library, quiet, central... Prefer smaller, friendlier, but Magdalen and New blew me away when I visited!

Also thinking about 'what if...'

Maybe, in this order:

1. (Oxford)
    2. UCL
    3. Durham
    4. Warwick
    5. St Andrews

Or...

6. Exeter

7. Kings

(yes, too many)

Too many choices.

Bit worried about PS and no extra-curricular.

It took ages to get here, now it feels like it's all crept up on me a bit...
    Bit of repping but you might want to consider University College (Univ) based on what you've mentioned.

It's the 'oldest' college, central, slightly smaller than New and Magdalen with more communal feel (imo). Not as grand as Magdalen but has a gorgeous library and hall with excellent food and the porters and tutors are lovely

Any questions about any of the colleges you've mentioned, Univ, Classics, applications or Durham, Exeter and St. Andrews as I applied to those!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, here are mine:

- Magdalen

- Brasenose

- St John's

- New

- Merton

I like old and beautiful, interesting tutors, diverse people, college wealth, library, quiet, central... Prefer smaller, friendlier, but Magdalen and New blew me away when I visited!

Maybe, in this order:

1. (Oxford)
    2. UCL
    3. Durham
    4. Warwick
    5. St Andrews

Or...

6. Exeter

7. Kings

(yes, too many)

Too many choices.

To join in with the repping, if you like Classics you should definitely take a look at Corpus - it's famous for Classics and is small & friendly, not to mention its "wonder of the world" library (according to... Erasmus, of all people).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, here are mine:

- Magdalen

- Brasenose

- St John's

- New

- Merton

Maybe, in this order:

1. (Oxford)
    2. UCL
    3. Durham
    4. Warwick
    5. St Andrews

Or...

6. Exeter

7. Kings

(yes, too many)

Too many choices.

To be honest all of those Colleges I would happily have gone to, so I would just go on the open day and see which you prefer. Worth booking in on the subject specific talks if possible so you can meet the tutors at least one or two of them too- I find this sometimes helps people. Aside from that, I think after having seen them all you should hopefully be able to make a decision.

The nice thing about Brasenose is it does basically have everything you describe above. It's quite large, but I view that as a positive because there's bound to be a fair few people you'll get on with/have similar interests to. The Brasenose accommodation which is not on site is also in a good location (basically as central as you can get, as is the College itself) and quite a high standard, so I do strongly recommend it from personal experience. (Not to say the others aren't great as well)

Oxford do not really care about extra curricular. Providing you have something -and I do literally just mean something- I wouldn't worry. It is exaggerated how important they are in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking of economics and management?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 8A*s 3As
    AS Grades: AAAA (A2 predictions: A*A*A*A)
    A-Levels: German, Japanese, Economics, Politics
    Course: Orienta Studies (Japanese)
    College: St. John's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    To be honest all of those Colleges I would happily have gone to, so I would just go on the open day and see which you prefer. Worth booking in on the subject specific talks if possible so you can meet the tutors at least one or two of them too- I find this sometimes helps people. Aside from that, I think after having seen them all you should hopefully be able to make a decision.

The nice thing about Brasenose is it does basically have everything you describe above. It's quite large, but I view that as a positive because there's bound to be a fair few people you'll get on with/have similar interests to. The Brasenose accommodation which is not on site is also in a good location (basically as central as you can get, as is the College itself) and quite a high standard, so I do strongly recommend it from personal experience. (Not to say the others aren't great as well)

Oxford do not really care about extra curricular. Providing you have something -and I do literally just mean something- I wouldn't worry. It is exaggerated how important they are in my opinion.
    Thanks guys, all good advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Any questions about any of the colleges you've mentioned, Univ, Classics, applications or Durham, Exeter and St. Andrews as I applied to those!

UCL I am sure is superb.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the Admissions Office for Oxford in regards with the PPE entry requrements. My specific question was how much do GCSE's play a role, when it comes to being called for an interview, and hopefully being offered a place to study at Oxford. The respons was that "Normally we concentrate on A-Levels, not GCSE's".

Does this mean if my GCSE grades aren't swarming with A*'s that I would still have a chance of being accepted? I am aware that the more successful candidates will tend to have more A*'s; however, if one was to preform amazingly on the TSA and have high A-Level predicitons, would this person/s still be with in a chance?

Regards
    Lorraine123456

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorraine123456)
    I emailed the Admissions Office for Oxford in regards with the PPE entry requrements. My specific question was how much do GCSE's play a role, when it comes to being called for an interview, and hopefully being offered a place to study at Oxford. The respons was that "Normally we concentrate on A-Levels, not GCSE's".

Does this mean if my GCSE grades aren't swarming with A*'s that I would still have a chance of being accepted? I am aware that the more successful candidates will tend to have more A*'s; however, if one was to preform amazingly on the TSA and have high A-Level predicitons, would this person/s still be with in a chance?

Regards
    Lorraine123456
    Yes you will be in with a chance. The important thing is actually doing well in the TSA so you are invited for interview. If you can pass that hurdle, much of it then reverts to interview performance.

Out of interest what are your grades?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask about the reputation, style, content, options etc., for Classics outside of Oxford (or the other place), which I have tried to research mainly on the web and a couple of visits?

I have heard UCL is very good. Someone told me that Exeter is good too, but to be honest it not easy to tell... I have looked at prospectuses and websites a bit, but I am not getting a feeling like I am with Oxford.

I am in North London and so Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh are all huge distances and to visit 4 or 5 universities would just take too much time - I am seriously time-poor as it is - it's just not possible.

I am sure that I want to go to Oxford and I think I can take the pace, if indeed I am lucky enough to be offered a place. But even if I am good enough, no one is guaranteed a place and so I have to have a good Plan B - somewhere I really want to go and where I know I'll be excited by the course - but thus far I am not feeling it - not enough to make a firm decision. Maybe I just need to keep surfing, mooch around TSR and read more prospectuses.

UCL I am sure is superb, but I am really not sure I want to be in London.
    I can only really comment on the ones I've had experience on.

I have heard very good things about the department at UCL - I also know a couple of people who go there and rate it highly.

Similarly for Exeter, Durham and Edinburgh - I've heard good things and my experience of the departments from reviews, schemes and days has been very good!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.