Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don'tMessThisUp)
    Topsibelle - are you doing the full 6 year course? Is that with intercalation? If you already have a degree you can skip the intercalated degree, or do a masters (which will push up your F1/F2 application score).
    No, not with an intercalation. I have a place on the A104 course at Sheffield, which is Medicine with a foundation year, as my degree is Modern Languages and I have no science A Levels. It's a good option for those with little science background, and there are quite a few graduates with places too :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topsibelle)
    No, not with an intercalation. I have a place on the A104 course at Sheffield, which is Medicine with a foundation year, as my degree is Modern Languages and I have no science A Levels. It's a good option for those with little science background, and there are quite a few graduates with places too :-)
    Aaaaaaaaah, yes, I completely forgot about the foundation year!

I think they really should standardize all of these, you know, including the application. They should have a set exam that everyone takes, and we all apply and based on your history and your results, they streamline you. So you could be a language grad - you do the 6 year, you could be a science grad, you do the 4 year, you could be an undergrad you do the 5 year, you could be a grad with a bad science history, they put you on the 6 year anyway.

It's all just faffing about and jumping through hoops unnecessarily (making more work for them, as opposed to just streamlining it.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaaaah, yes, I completely forgot about the foundation year!

I think they really should standardize all of these, you know, including the application. They should have a set exam that everyone takes, and we all apply and based on your history and your results, they streamline you. So you could be a language grad - you do the 6 year, you could be a science grad, you do the 4 year, you could be an undergrad you do the 5 year, you could be a grad with a bad science history, they put you on the 6 year anyway.

It's all just faffing about and jumping through hoops unnecessarily (making more work for them, as opposed to just streamlining it.
    Yup, I have always found it odd that I can apply for six-year and four-year, but not five! A little bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, when I started thinking about this a couple of years ago, getting my shizzle together, I was 27 and okay with it, and now I'm 29 and thinking, ****, I'll be 30 in my first year... I look younger and I might be able to get away with it, but the reality is I'm 10 years older than the majority of the 5/6 year cohorts, and more like 6 years older than the Grad ones (though their numbers are very spread).

When I applied last year, the majority of my interview associates were in their late 20s, this year, I found it more young-mid 20s. Don't know why.
    (Original post by Nat1217)
    At 28 I feel extremely 'advanced' - I've been offered a place on a 5-yr course and the thought of all those fresh faced 18 year olds fills me with dread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are two letters waiting for me at home apparently. One 'Bank Statement ish' and one is Private and Confidential and half the size which sounds like a rejection letter to me, cos that's how it came last year.

We'll see in a couple of hours, I guess!
    I am 27 with no partner or children. I keep thinking about how old I'm going to be and about other things I want in life, but when I think about it, this is most important to me so I will pursue it. Also, I am just finishing a second undergrad, and as a 'mature' student I have found it easier than my first.

Good luck with your letter Don'tMessThisUP. Be sure to let us know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalou87)
    I am 27 with no partner or children. I keep thinking about how old I'm going to be and about other things I want in life, but when I think about it, this is most important to me so I will pursue it. Also, I am just finishing a second undergrad, and as a 'mature' student I have found it easier than my first.

Good luck with your letter Don'tMessThisUP. Be sure to let us know!
    Yeah, I'm much in the same boat - it's funny to me, really, how the pressure makes you think differently. I've always said, I don't want to have children, I really don't want to get married, I'm not a fan of matrimony or infants. But knowing that I'm going to be dedicated to this for so long makes me think 'oh, but now I might not be able to'. I didn't want it when I had the choice, and suddenly with the opportunity being taken away, I find myself wondering if I'm making the right decision. But if I had the choice again, I'd probably still say no to babies.

ReputationRep:
    Jane, I have a place on a six-year course in case I don't get into GEM. The finance side really doesn't look as bad as I have envisaged, and I certainly don't have £45,000 kicking around either, ha! Several universities offer small bursaries each year, fees for the final two years are paid by the NHS, and there is also the BMA charity to consider. It's a daunting prospect, but with part-time work, the funding I've mentioned, overdraft and a bank loan, I'll be able to pay my fees. Also note that most universities allow you to pay in instalments spread across the year.
    Ah, that's all useful information, thanks! Do you know if the NHS would pay the fees for the last two years of the five-year course as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane1296)
    Ah, that's all useful information, thanks! Do you know if the NHS would pay the fees for the last two years of the five-year course as well?
    I think the NHS pays tuition fees from Y5 of studying onwards, so for a 5-year course it would just be the final year... Don't quote me on that, I might be wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I think the NHS pays tuition fees from Y5 of studying onwards, so for a 5-year course it would just be the final year... Don't quote me on that, I might be wrong!
    Correct.

In addition to the above you do receive a maintenance loan from SFE and there are other charities that may give you some money.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're quite right, it's just the last year. We also get the maintanence loan for the other four, but not the grant or the fees loan.

So it's just the 9 grand per year for the first four years. And food.

(Vote Green - they've just said they're going to scrap the fees!)

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we are ranked and chosen on the waiting list based on our interview scores, GAMSAT scores, or both?

My GAMSAT was only 61.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ell365)
    Do you think we are ranked and chosen on the waiting list based on our interview scores, GAMSAT scores, or both?

My GAMSAT was only 61.
    From previous year, if I recall correctly, it was GAMSAT score primarily, any ties are decided by interview score mean and further ties are decided by references.

ReputationRep:
    There is no post for me today. Were all the people who have had letters so far early interview dates? Mine wasn't until the 31st. The suspense is killing me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateamelia)
    There is no post for me today. Were all the people who have had letters so far early interview dates? Mine wasn't until the 31st. The suspense is killing me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See now I reckon mine's just a really late rejection/waiting list

ReputationRep:
    No post here (well, not strictly true but I figure you guys don't care too much about my credit card bill )

ReputationRep:
    I interviewed on 23rd, but no letter thus far. The postie hasn't even been to mine yet so not a clue where I stand.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually contacted the uni to ask?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually contacted the uni to ask?
    I doubt there'd be any point given they told us to expect replies by April 17th. So a reply now is just quite good of them and their likely response would be to wait until next week at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    I was interviewd on the 23rd as well and haven't received anything yet. Not sure if it's good or bad!

ReputationRep:
    Mine wasn't a rejection or an offer, wasn't a letter from uni at all!

Which further makes me think, hope... that ... maybe... offers are coming?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I meant to ask also what kind of loan you would get from a bank. I enquired at my bank and received a straight no! It would be ideal to have a loan that you start paying back AFTER the course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.