Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's Watch

ReputationRep:
    The best advice is really not to be too bothered about what you get in the subjects you're not taking for A level, or if you are looking into medicine. Otherwise don't work yourself too much just yet, GCSES arent worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate37)
    So I'm in Year 10 moving on up to Year 11 so I'll answer these questions.

1) What GCSE's are you taking?
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Triple Science
    Spanish
    GCSE PE
    Drama
    History

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
    I'm expecting it to be quite stressful, and for there to be quite a lot of work, but I'm planning on being prepared as I can, and I'm going to go over the year 10 topics just to try make sure I have some good notes to revise off. I'm not sure what I want to take for A-Levels though so when we get asked about things like that I'm going to find it quite stressful, because my school doesn't have the course I want to take but I don't want to leave the school.

3) Are you looking forward to year 11?
    I really am, just because I always look forward to the next year of school. Even though it will be all the same people as before, I like that I have a chance to renew my attitude towards school work and although I say this every year, I'm hoping to really knuckle down, listen in class, do my homework etc. so I won't need that much revision before my exams. Hopefully it's going to be a good year!

I have a question for past year 11s, what did you use to help keep your work and notes organised and how? Is there anything you'd recommend doing?
    Having a notebook for each revision subject is good. Maybe have different colours for sticky notes. So pink for science, yellow for english etc. Sorry for the late reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Emanuele_)
    Going from year 10 to 11:

1) What GCSES are you doing?

I've done spanish, astronomy and maths. Waiting on results. Still got 13 for next year:

Additional maths
    English lang and lit.
    Rs
    Philosophy and Ethics
    Italian
    French
    German
    Music
    History
    Triple science

It's definitely going to be tough. In my school lessons shall run from 7.30am to 5.00 pm which sucks. At the end of the torment though, I hope to emerge with at least 12 A*s.

3) Are you looking forward to year 11?

No.
    Have you been revising in summer?

ReputationRep:
    1) How was year 11 for you?
    It definitely becomes more independent - still lots of support from teachers but if youre bothered about doing well, its your responsibility. I was a good student but i would have done better if I'd done my homework and revised (definitely something that will change in college!) but luckily my coursework bumped my grades to A's and B's.

2) How many exams did you sit?
    I don't even wanna count but there were 9 GCSEs in total

To the year 10s: just remember, a few hours of revision could get you a grade higher which is going to stay with you forever, definitely worth it because you'll feel great on results day. But also, don't stress too much, at the end of the day, so long as you do well enough for your next level of education, those GCSE results don't really matter. Good luck

ReputationRep:

To be honest, quite traumatic because i overworked myself in Year 10 doing pointless revision and then had no energy left for year 11. What really struck me was that in Year 10 i still felt like i could go home and not do any work some nights and still do well but literally after mocks in year 11 you feel like you have to work (to some extent) every night. Also (for me anyway), if you miss like one day of school in year 11, you can be stressing over catch up for the next week.

31 *cries*

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

Two things: 1) work consistently throughout the year, so revise each topic after you finish it and keep looking over past work to keep it fresh in the mind- DON'T LEAVE IT ALL 'TIL EASTER! 2) The key to revision is quality not quantity so you'll probably learn more from one hour of good revision rather than 8 hours of lazy revision (i.e. reading notes over while watching t.v)

Good Luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    just be preped and mke sure u dont waste time in the yr, and revise well for all ur mini tests and mocks coz otherwise ull stress during gcse month and not knw how to cope with pressure and organisational skills later.

it will all finish soon the yr goes soooooooooooooooo fast! so dont leave revision last minute, prepare for the upcoming mocks in december time coz tht will be ur predicted grade which will show u where to improve on and keep a track of all ur grades, for us old spec allowed to revise in the last 2 months of gcse but for new spec it can be a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?

And if you have just left year 11:

I have left year 11 so I will answer these questions aha..

Year 11 for me was rather calm for the first few months up to about November. It was mainly trying to finish off coursework. From January onwards it was the piles and piles of stress. But tbh I believe it would have been less stressful if my school did not put so much pressure on us.

22 :eek:

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    Listen to everything in class, it's most likely to come up in the exam. & You don't necessarily have to start revising from the get go. You will most likely forget everything by time May comes.. I would say revise from January if you feel you will remember. If not start in the Easter Holidays (March/April), if you feel you do better revising closer to the time. I started in February.. had a long break (well not really due to my school ) and restarted in April.

Any other questions? Leave them below, and I or any other person will answer it
    Hello!! Thank you for starting this very useful post. I've finished my GCSEs and year 11 now. I sat about 20 exams. I can't lie: it was a really tough year. We had many highs and lows, but there was always a sense that we were in it together. It sounds trivial now but you'd be amazed at how close your peer group is drawn together by this additional academic pressure - and how beneficial this support really is. It is a good idea to start revising about Spring Term half term and build that up to really focussing on past papers over Easter. Also, when it comes to revision, just because one technique works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you. Stick to what works for you: if that's not creating a stunning, neat pack of flashcards and colourful posters, don't feel you have to. Personally, the technique I wished I had used, but I will certainly employ next year, is the "Feynman technique" (Google it). It makes so much sense, and have been very useful for memorising large chunks of information, as typical of lots of subjects at GCSE. If I could go back, I would have quickly recapped a couple of subjects each week, using this method. It doesn't have to be hours, but is definitely worth doing, as it will make the main body of your revision later on so much easier to handle. Learn the material thoroughly before you start past papers - you'll gain a lot more from them if you do. Stay organised. Above all else though, try to laugh everyday, keep your friends close and keep smiling . If you can look back on year 11 with at least a few good memories, then that's the best and most important achievement of all - far more profound that any grade letter printed on a page, trust me. Have a lovely summer and best of luck to anyone entering year 11, and all current year 11s for their results in August.

ReputationRep:
    I have just left year 11
    1) at the beginning of the year quite chilled but gradually got more stressful but by the end of the year I didn't feel the stress. If that makes sense? Even during my exams I didn't feel that stressed except for the first one, where just before I felt ill for about 2 hours and nearly threw up.

2) I sat 27 exams. But I did 11 subjects so hopefully they you won't have as many!

3)it's never too early to start revision because honestly it will make all the difference! Look back at the stuff you did at the beginning of the year because that's the stuff I forgot about the most. Also reread your English books especially the longer ones because you probably won't have time to do it during year 11.

ReputationRep:
    English Language, World Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Music, Economics, Global Perspectives, French, First Language Chinese

I think it'll be similar to year 10 at the beginning but then get harder and more stressful near the end. My evaluation of year 10 can hardly be used as an actual baseline for how the experience was in real life because I struggled a lot with feelings of depression and what turned out to be ADD, so that was a fun year.

Absolutely bloody not.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly stressful, but in terms of friends, the happiest school year yet! Towards the end there was a lot of stress, I didn't sleep very well and having so many exams was difficult, but it was all worth it! (or it will be on results day *fingers crossed*)

24.. ouch...

Work hard at quizes and tests from the beginning of the year, and revise for your December/January mocks, but don't burn yourself out too early. March is a good time to do revision, make a plan and do plenty of past papers. A lot of you will be on the new spec, but you can still use old spec questions to practice your knowledge. Good luck and don't stress!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Not great tbh, social life took a nosedive and anxiety about grades were at an all-time high.

23 over the course of a God awful 5 weeks.

As for revision, I suggest doing a little bit of everything. Make some flashcards, make some mind maps, make PowerPoints, make some bullet point notes, do some practice papers, etc. You may find if you exhaust one style, it may become less efficient.

My geography teacher (loved her) always banged on about triple revision - read, rearrange information in the form of structured notes (such as in one of the above styles) and then test yourself.

To keep yourself motivated, I found making a list of things I couldn't wait to do when summer started helped.

Apart from revision though, I would say the most important thing you should do is believe in yourself. It's cheesy asf but there were so many times where I said "man I suck I should just give up" and those were the times I didn't do well, so it's really surprising how much of an impact a good mindset has and how strong you can be when you believe in yourself.

As soon as summer starts, you can go back to being a deflated anxiety-ridden football with no hopes, dreams or aspirations like me.

ReputationRep:

Definitely stressful at times but I know worked hard in class and did my best

28 exams, 13 pieces of Controlled Assessment

Just make sure that you work hard in class and keep on top of homework and revision tasks in the autumn term and try and get all your coursework and controlled assessments done by Christmas because i found it annoying still having to finish some tasks off in March when i wanted to concentrate more on revision for the exams. After Christmas I would say start revising a little bit every night but only like 20 minutes and just build up until you're revising a fair bit by Easter but still make sure you have chill time to help de-stress and don't work too hard or for too long otherwise this won't do you any favours. On exam days make sure you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, eat a healthy breakfast and get lots of sleep! It's not worth staying up all night looking at notes if you're too tired to concentrate in the exam. Just do your best

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have just left Year 11.

How was year 11?

I found it pretty calm until exam season which was around may for me. I think I didn't stress as many did in my year group due to me completing my revision throughout the year (I started about November time as before that I was completing my coursework) therefore, I found everything not as stressful as everyone made it out to be as my notes were finished and I predominantly just did past papers during exam season, although I did have a breakdown for maths because that subject was just unpredictable. Although my social life was non existent from April on wards.

How many exams did you take?
    18 exams, and I completely forgot how many controlled assessments I took.

What advice would you give to the upcoming Year 11's ?
    For English literature make sure you know the plot of the books you have to study - reading them isn't really important so don't spend most of your time reading them over and over again spend more time writing out your notes and analysing random pages within your given texts as this skill will be easily transferred to English language as well.
    Also, complete your revision throughout the year, do small chunks of revision - not large amounts as I doubt you will remember them 10 months onwards, also figure out the best way of revision for you personally as this will really be helpful.
    Furthermore, make sure you have a complete set of notes for each topic and revise for each topic test as you will thank yourself x AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN AND DON'T STRESS TO MUCH.

ReputationRep:
    Y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶i̶s̶s̶ ̶e̶a̶s̶y̶
    oh wait you're on new spec aren't you, mwhahahahahahah.

Normally I would say that you can afford to leave some subjects last minute like Computing to last minute as the CCA used to carry you but.

Plan it?
    Try not to spontaneously combust learning all the Physics equations lol k bye.

Year 11 for me I generally found quite easy, As Maths and Science aren't as hard to do for me that just involved drilling. The majority of my revision went to English and the other subs. I can't remember how many exams I sat, I only remember going to sleep for 12 hours after the exam was complete

ReputationRep:
    1) How was year 11 for you? Honestly, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. That doesn't mean it wasn't awful, though. Although when I was doing my exams, they almost didn't feel real as we'd done so many past papers in exam conditions that the real thing just felt the same. Overall, the exams did go really quickly and I did enjoy other parts of being a year 11 (mainly having priority in the lunch queue!)

2) How many exams did you sit? 26 and 14 controlled assessments.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s? Revise as much as you can for your mock exams to get into the swing of things, but don't start proper revision until like early April. Mocks are a really good way to learn how you revise best so that you can apply that technique to your actual exams. I remember getting to April and not really knowing how to revise as I didn't bother with mocks. If your subject still has controlled assessments, try as hard as you can with them so that you can walk into the exam knowing that you've secured X grade for X percentage of your GCSE. Lastly, your teachers are the ones with the knowledge so when it comes closer to exam time make sure to ask them to explain anything you don't understand and try to go to any revision sessions they organise when it comes to the exam period.

ReputationRep:
    STRESSFUL. SO STRESSFUL. Don't worry though, that was because I overworked and burnt myself out. There was a lot of coursework, homework, catching up with things.

3) Advice?

Work hard but play hard. Don't overwork yourself and still do the things you love. Stay on top of things otherwise they will pile up. Also, everyone says these are the best years of your life so make sure you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    This year I completed 22 GCSE examinations, which is absolutely mental. Exams fly by and it's honestly quite difficult to keep on top of them and your A* dreams.

I studied English Language, Literature, Geography, Spanish, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, RE, Media and Art. I'm going to reel off my teachers predicted grades before my exams and what I think I have got afterwards.

So my predicted grades are A*s/8s for every thing but this is what I believe I have achieved.

Language - 5
    Literature - 5
    Maths - 7
    Physics - C
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - A
    RE - A
    Spanish - B
    Geography - A*
    Media - A*
    Art - B

So yeah, don't be too depressed if your exams don't go as predicted.

My advice to anyone entering year 11 is get your coursework done before January. For the love of God, if you take any advice, do this.

To anyone leaving year 11, are you as stressed as me for results day? I'm absolutely bricking it lmao.

ReputationRep:
    1) super stressful due to other issues and then less so when i got into the exam swing of things
    2) 24! (25 including drama)
    3) Dont panic!
    - flash cards flash cards flash cards asap (if they work for you) (I wish i started in yr 10) especially for english quotes and history, geography, re (all rely on remembering things eg. date, vocab) and do them throughout the year. eg. Make sure you understand the section and then abbreviate it. And in theory when you look at the abbreviated facts you should remember the extra detail. (That was my tactic) The important thing is not to leave it too late.

- Don't laugh off mocks. do them at every opportunity and do them seriously.

- Find a method that works for you early on. Posters, flashcards, notes, presentations, songs etc. and stick with it so you train yourself to use it

- 'active' revision. Don't just look at things. copy them out, do questions

- Take all the help that is offered to you

- Don't bother trying to revise while binge watching oitnb cause it'll suck when you realise the last 6 hours was a waste of precious revision time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

And if you have just left year 11:

I have left year 11 so I will answer these questions aha..

Year 11 for me was rather calm for the first few months up to about November. It was mainly trying to finish off coursework. From January onwards it was the piles and piles of stress. But tbh I believe it would have been less stressful if my school did not put so much pressure on us.

22 :eek:

Listen to everything in class, it's most likely to come up in the exam. & You don't necessarily have to start revising from the get go. You will most likely forget everything by time May comes.. I would say revise from January if you feel you will remember. If not start in the Easter Holidays (March/April), if you feel you do better revising closer to the time. I started in February.. had a long break (well not really due to my school ) and restarted in April.

Any other questions? Leave them below, and I or any other person will answer it

Year 11 flew by so fast, but I'm so glad! Finally able to focus on subjects I love the most . There was a particular period of stress and pressure around Christmas mocks, with slight disappointment in January haha. Teachers seemed to be much more laid back and tolerant towards us, and now that I look back at it, I loved year 11.

24 from what I recall!

Any small details that aren't covered by textbooks or revision guides, which are mentioned by a teacher, should never be ignored! Every. Detail. Matters. It's details that push As to A*s.
    Revise early. I suggest just before Christmas, especially with subjects you struggle with the most, it'll really boost your confidence when you receive amazing grades in January.
    With that said, around exam time prioritise most of your revision towards subjects you'd likely take up at A-level - enjoyable ones.
    If winter brings bad grades, don't be off put! I had some of the worst mock grades amongst my friends and the top GCSE results in my class at the end of summer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.