The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
Around the 20 mark, as determined by what? Flawed newspaper league tables? Has it not dawned yet that these league tables are superficial and biased? You could add all kinds of different criteria, like Nobel Prize winners, RAE departments with 5* ratings, research citations globally, university finances, ratings as given by CEOs in top City firms etc. Where would Newcastle be in a league table then? Top 10? Top 30?

I have said before that I rate Newcastle a top 15-20 university, on the basis that it is in the Russell Group, and on general reputation from what I hear from graduates and recruiters. But even that can be viewed as flawed, as the reality is we can't possibly say that e.g. Durham is better than Newcastle so easily with real facts and figures and very careful comparison between departments and research status.

As if anyone's going to take you seriously.

At least newspaper have verifiable criteria
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 381
Original post by Zenomorph
So this great ' breakthrough ' is so earth shattering that only lecturers at a B grade university know about it ?

Enough said.

What an immature young idiot. I do hope you grow up sooner rather than later, rather than rely on newspaper rankings fit for toilet paper. Don't ever quote me again on TSR you troll tooth moron, your only hope is to hang about with proper role models.

Nobody in the business world reads or cares about newspaper rankings, with the possible exception of MBA rankings. Employers already know their preferred top 20 universities for hiring the best graduates and MBAs, and fluctuations in media rankings does not alter the situation a jot. Also plenty of graduates of less prestigious unis like Leeds Met I know have secured graduate jobs at blue chip firms. There is much more to it than just which university you attended. Only later in life will you realise your folly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
What an immature young idiot. I do hope you grow up sooner rather than later, rather than rely on newspaper rankings fit for toilet paper. Don't ever quote me again on TSR you troll tooth moron, your only hope is to hang about with proper role models.

Nobody in the business world reads or cares about newspaper rankings, with the possible exception of MBA rankings. Employers already know their preferred top 20 universities for hiring the best graduates and MBAs, and fluctuations in media rankings does not alter the situation a jot. Also plenty of graduates of less prestigious unis like Leeds Met I know have secured graduate jobs at blue chip firms. There is much more to it than just which university you attended. Only later in life will you realise your folly.

Whoa , whoa, whoa .

You're beginning to sound demented here. No need to be offensive.

You and your mates may hate newspaper rankings but it won't stop them from making them and none of your straight-jacket like behaviour is going to intimidate me and others from using tables.

That's our choice

End of.
Reply 383
Two of my friends from Notts (BSc Economics 1st Class) are now working for leading investment banks, Goldman Sachs (Exec Director at just 31) and Barclays (Vice President at 28) in Canary Wharf. Another hall mate at Notts (BA Philosophy 2.1) got a graduate contract at a top law firm in the City. A friend of a friend who did Maths at Bath is now CFO at a leading Actuary firm. They got to where they are partly down to where they studied, what they studied, and how well they did in their degrees AND their previous A level grades. And they all did at least two interns in the City before graduation. All this semi-target and top target drivel makes no sense and is not in line with what actually goes on in the City and Canary Wharf. Oxbridge are the only exception to this, as I have been told by another Exec Director that most graduate entrants in investment banks are Oxbridge graduates, those who have mainly done numerate and science based degrees. After that, it is throughout the top 20 universities that they tend to select candidates for the first assessment stage, though I have even heard one or two graduates from Brunel & Leicester get offered jobs at Deutsch Bank.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by Mansun
Two of my friends from Notts (BSc Economics 1st Class) are now working for leading investment banks, Goldman Sachs (Exec Director at just 31) and Barclays (Vice President at 28) in Canary Wharf. Another hall mate at Notts got a graduate contract at a top law firm in the City. A friend of a friend who did Maths at Bath is now CFO at a leading Actuary firm. They got to where they are partly down to where they studied, what they studied, and how well they did in their degrees AND their previous A level grades. And they all did at least two interns in the City before graduation. All this semi-target and top target drivel makes no sense and is not in line with what actually goes on in the City and Canary Wharf. Oxbridge are the only exception to this, as I have been told by another Exec Director that most graduate entrants in investment banks are Oxbridge graduates, those who have mainly done numerate and science based degrees. After that, it is throughout the top 20 universities that they tend to select candidates for the first assessment stage, though I have even heard one or two graduates from Brunel & Leicester get offered jobs at Deutsch Bank.

Anecdotal evidence is completely irrelevant.
Reply 385
Original post by alow

A glimpse into real case studies is far better than tripe about how getting into target uni is more important that a semi target uni etc. The thing is a lot of teenagers at university are those about to start are unlearned on how things really work in the real world of business, and will fight to the death to defend their views like St Andrews students are more in demand than Cardiff graduates etc without any real life experience to back it up. I have been there and done it, and seen numerous people succeed in business, and it would be sensible for you to take it on board as insight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Two of my friends from Notts (BSc Economics 1st Class) are now working for leading investment banks, Goldman Sachs (Exec Director at just 31) and Barclays (Vice President at 28) in Canary Wharf. Another hall mate at Notts got a graduate contract at a top law firm in the City. A friend of a friend who did Maths at Bath is now CFO at a leading Actuary firm. They got to where they are partly down to where they studied, what they studied, and how well they did in their degrees AND their previous A level grades. And they all did at least two interns in the City before graduation. All this semi-target and top target drivel makes no sense and is not in line with what actually goes on in the City and Canary Wharf. Oxbridge are the only exception to this, as I have been told by another Exec Director that most graduate entrants in investment banks are Oxbridge graduates, those who have mainly done numerate and science based degrees. After that, it is throughout the top 20 universities that they tend to select candidates for the first assessment stage, though I have even heard one or two graduates from Brunel & Leicester get offered jobs at Deutsch Bank.

Well that's lovely and sightly encouraging to here, especially considering the things I'm now doing to add to my CV (a workshop so far, and a little business venture with a friend).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow

How ' unbiased ', at least he's in the open about it I guess

:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
A glimpse into real case studies is far better than tripe about how getting into target uni is more important that a semi target uni etc. The thing is a lot of teenagers at university are those about to start are unlearned on how things really work in the real world of business, and will fight to the death to defend their views like St Andrews students are more in demand than Cardiff graduates etc without any real life experience to back it up. I have been there and done it, and seen numerous people succeed in business, and it would be sensible for you to take it on board as insight.

A Glimpse ? into what ?

What proof do you have or is this just hearsay ?
Original post by airdoc
EXETER.

Sorry.

EXERAH.

It is literally RAH central.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why does "poshest students" have anything directly to do with "hot girls"? :confused:

It is just a nice afterthought, but if you are upset by the inclusion I do fully understand.

I'm still a little surprised why so many Rahs choose Exeter, it isn't a Russell Group heavyweight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
It is just a nice afterthought, but if you are upset by the inclusion I do fully understand.

I'm still a little surprised why so many Rahs choose Exeter, it isn't a Russell Group heavyweight.

Probably because a lot of them don't have much choice?
Original post by Mansun

I don't understand your first comment. What do you mean? Your second comment is silly, the RG was never about absolute impartial ranking, it's a coalition of research universities with little relevance in many cases to quality undergraduate education. Exeter has a strong reputation and I'm sure is a good university. 'Posh' students, like other people, on the whole do their best to get into the best universities they can. At the same time, some colleges have a known typical culture and some people, perhaps not always in their own best interests, tend to be attracted to colleges where they feel they will 'fit in'.
Original post by Mansun

Yes it is, It's RG1
Reply 395
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Your second comment is silly, the RG was never about absolute impartial ranking, it's a coalition of research universities with little relevance in many cases to quality undergraduate education. Exeter has a strong reputation and I'm sure is a good university.

Exeter isn't quite as research intensive as Manchester, Edinburgh and Leeds, to name a few. It is getting there though, after finally meeting the criteria for Russell Group membership.
Original post by Mansun
Exeter isn't quite as research intensive as Manchester, Edinburgh and Leeds, to name a few. It is getting there though, after finally meeting the criteria for Russell Group membership.

What does that have to do with poshness or any UG course for that matter ?
Reply 397
Original post by Zenomorph
What does that have to do with poshness or any UG course for that matter ?

Zenomorph, you are like a dog who keeps snapping at my trousers at the ankle, or the fat goal hanger kid in the playground who does nothing but scream at the other kids for the ball soon as the play is near him. I don't want anything to do with you.
Original post by Mansun
Zenomorph, you are like a dog who keeps snapping at my trousers at the ankle, or the fat goal hanger kid in the playground who does nothing but scream at the other kids for the ball soon as the play is near him. I don't want anything to do with you.

You posted an " opinion " in a public forum so anyone is entitled to ask you questions on it. Is something unclear about that ?

If you don't want anything to do with me , then don't reply.

You behave like an oxymoron.
apparently all the etonians are headed for edinburgh this year, heads up.

Latest