English Lang - B
    English Lit - B
    German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
    Maths - A (283/300)
    Biology - A (283/300)
    Economics - A (161/200)
    Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
    General Studies - A (166/200)

My A-level predictions are: A*A*AA or A*A*A*A in the same order as above.

Also I would be applying with a pretty strong Personal Statement

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford.

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB), UCL or Durham.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!
    So your average is 89.7% in your best 3 subjects right? Which isn't bad by any means, although I think St. John's has said it won't interview anything below 90% if I remember correctly? You'll probably be at a disadvantage applying without at least further maths to AS for cambridge though so that might be something you could do to improve your odds
    Your gcses are fine but I'm not sure if they're oxford good if that makes sense? I would say you'd be better suited to oxford without further maths

You might struggle with lse as they're keen on ums and gcses but warwick Bristol and durham I can't see why you wouldn't have a good chance

But you have to remember it's up to you if you really want to go to cambridge you can give it a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raymondrayz)
    Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
    Maths - A*
    Statistics - A*
    Triple Science - A*A*A*
    French - A
    Geography - A
    R.E - A
    ICT - Me
    English Lang - B
    English Lit - B
    German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
    Maths - A (283/300)
    Biology - A (283/300)
    Economics - A (161/200)
    Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
    General Studies - A (166/200)

My A-level predictions are: A*A*AA or A*A*A*A in the same order as above.

Also I would be applying with a pretty strong Personal Statement

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford.

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB), UCL or Durham.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!
    Your grades are on par if not better than average on all courses bar Cambridge really (your average over your best 3 AS's is 91%ish so you're close to automatic interview I think?)

Only issue is that you haven't done Further Maths, so I'd suggest dropping the Chemistry and taking up AS Further Maths and getting an A prediction, which is what I did last year

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering if i would be at a disadvantage applying to a mix of straight econ & econ and finance

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of people who've got into Oxford/Warwick/UCL/other top unis without straight As at AS Level?

ReputationRep:
    I know the nature of university economics is very competitive and slightly random, but I have a question. I don't mean this in a cocky way, just trying to be honest and weigh up my options. When I say guaranteed I mean that the likelihood is high..

Am I basically guaranteed () an offer from at least one of these unis: Warwick, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham
    with AAAA at AS level in maths, chem, econ and further maths - A*A*A* A2 predictions - 8A* 3A at GCSE and a good personal statement and reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    I know the nature of university economics is very competitive and slightly random, but I have a question. I don't mean this in a cocky way, just trying to be honest and weigh up my options. When I say guaranteed I mean that the likelihood is high..

Am I basically guaranteed () an offer from at least one of these unis: Warwick, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham
    with AAAA at AS level in maths, chem, econ and further maths - A*A*A* A2 predictions - 8A* 3A at GCSE and a good personal statement and reference.
    Bristol & Notts basically, UCL & Warwick probably

ReputationRep:
    Which uni's are the best AAA courses?
    I'm wondering if having only one AAA is a bit reckless, so if anyone has some AAA uni's they like, I would love to hear which ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    I'm wondering if having only one AAA is a bit reckless, so if anyone has some AAA uni's they like, I would love to hear which ones!
    I wouldn't suggest applying for AAA unis just for the sake of it - e.g. if you only get an offer from them, would you be happy going there?? I'm going for all A*AA unis because tbh I wouldn't really be satisfied at any other uni's.

To answer your question, Leeds, Surrey and Birmingham are all AAA with Bath and Bristol giving out AAA offers in certain rare circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    economics and econometrics at Bristol, it's AAA as supposed to A*AA for straight Econ, the modules are the same for the first year and you could switch second year to straight Econ. Birmingham is a good AAA too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tabim26)
    i was wondering if i would be at a disadvantage applying to a mix of straight econ & econ and finance
    You shouldn't be, what units are you thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need your help, i would like to know whether these universities seem realistic with my grades.
    GCSES 10A*'s
    AS LEVELS- Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Economics C
    A2 Predictions - Maths A* Chemistry A Economics A and also taking up AS-further maths A

I am thinking of applying to
    Oxford- econ and management / Cambridge -Economics
    Warwick Economics
    UCL Economics
    Nottingham Economics
    Queen Mary Economics

any advice/ help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi people.

I'm taking a year out and applying for 2015 entry. I applied for straight economics last year, UCL was my firm choice but I didn't get accepted in the end as I got A*A*A but the A was in Maths. Ended up not going to my insurance and instead decided to resit a module of Maths and take up further maths in my year out.
    I think this year I'm going to apply for PPE as I'd considered Economics and Politics last year though I've not 100% decided yet. At the moment my choices are a bit mixed as I've got PPE at UCL(new course though), PPE at Warwick, Government and Economics at LSE.
    Not sure whether to apply for Oxford or not as only got 3 A*s at GCSE and I've read taking a year out can disadvantage you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently launched a site that lists entry requirements for courses in the UK. Here is the page for economics - I hope it helps!

www.entryrequirements.com/economics

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattj94)
    Hi, I recently launched a site that lists entry requirements for courses in the UK. Here is the page for economics - I hope it helps!

www.entryrequirements.com/economics

Thanks!
    Wow this is brilliant!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFR)
    You shouldn't be, what units are you thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Straight econ at warwick, notts and maybe birmingham. maybe econ & finance at bristol and surrey. you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lchoudhry)
    Guys i need your help, i would like to know whether these universities seem realistic with my grades.
    GCSES 10A*'s
    AS LEVELS- Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Economics C
    A2 Predictions - Maths A* Chemistry A Economics A and also taking up AS-further maths A

I am thinking of applying to
    Oxford- econ and management / Cambridge -Economics
    Warwick Economics
    UCL Economics
    Nottingham Economics
    Queen Mary Economics

any advice/ help would be appreciated
    I think you have a real shot at most. The issue will be your C in econ AS but you've got your predicted up to an A which is good. Having a C in As econ won't be good for Cambridge as it will significantly bring down your ums average. How high were the A's? Also you might want to apply for one that's slightly lower as an insurance just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Askaud)
    Hi people.

I'm taking a year out and applying for 2015 entry. I applied for straight economics last year, UCL was my firm choice but I didn't get accepted in the end as I got A*A*A but the A was in Maths. Ended up not going to my insurance and instead decided to resit a module of Maths and take up further maths in my year out.
    I think this year I'm going to apply for PPE as I'd considered Economics and Politics last year though I've not 100% decided yet. At the moment my choices are a bit mixed as I've got PPE at UCL(new course though), PPE at Warwick, Government and Economics at LSE.
    Not sure whether to apply for Oxford or not as only got 3 A*s at GCSE and I've read taking a year out can disadvantage you.

Depends on what course at Oxford.. E&m??
    I'm giving Oxford a shot with 4A*s at gcse and I know someone who got in with less

ReputationRep:
    How much do unis actually take the predicted grades into account? I'm predicted A*AAA and I'm worried I'm not going to get an offer from LSE, UCL or Warwick where the usual applicant gets predicted more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey4live)
    How much do unis actually take the predicted grades into account? I'm predicted A*AAA and I'm worried I'm not going to get an offer from LSE, UCL or Warwick where the usual applicant gets predicted more than that.
    Tbh predicted grades are pretty important, but yours are ok. I asked my teachers to change mine last year and they did as long as they were reasonable. What were your AS grades? And did you have any 90% + ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey4live)
    If you're not predicted an a* in maths that'll be a bigger issue than the number of a*s from what I hear

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.