Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelphiDeWitt)
    If anyone else is studying for the GAMSAT in September and is in London, hoping to set up a study group so get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I am up for that. I have inboxes you.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else is studying for the GAMSAT in September and is in London, hoping to set up a study group so get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish I was in London!

Anyone around Bangor want to set up a study group?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacqualyn)
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to apply to graduate entry medicine in 2016 and I think I have all the relevant work/Life experience, my academic achievements at uni are more than good enough, obviously worried about the entrance exams (BMAT and UKCAT). But I'm really quite concerned about my application as my A levels are poor, and my first year of Uni was a write off ( I study Biomed now, but I originally did human biology for a year but changed courses), because of a lot of mental health problems that are near enough resolved; that were triggered by experiencing some horrific violence for a long period of time. I'm just so unsure of how to explain it to medical schools without going into too much detail or it sounding like a sob story :/ Any ideas?
    As far as I know they don't look at your A-levels and they are only concerned with your final degree classification. You almost definitely won't have to bring up these problems if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding getting work experience and volunteering in London pretty difficult. I have zero contacts up here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding getting work experience and volunteering in London pretty difficult. I have zero contacts up here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Email consultant's secretaries. Loads of hospitals in London. I sent 10ish emails and got 2 shadowing placements out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Email consultant's secretaries. Loads of hospitals in London. I sent 10ish emails and got 2 shadowing placements out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, where would I find secretary's contact information? I haven't had luck on NHS websites.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm new to the thread. I'm currently in my second year for BA English Lit & Linguistics at QMUL, and I'm going to begin revising for the GAMSAT in the next few weeks. Just out of interest, have I left it really late? I've read a couple of other threads and some people say that 3 months is enough, others have prepared for a year.

Any comments?

Also, how is everyone doing on extra-curriculars? I wanted some advice on how this sounds;

- Scouts group leader
    - Employment doing admin at a childcare facility, so understand healthcare policies, etc
    - Volunteered for a few cancer charities
    - Volunteered at a government hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks
    - Experience looking after an ill family member

I feel like that's not enough, but that may just be because St George's (which is my focus) has a Hell of a list regarding work experience.

All comments and advice welcome! And as for any study groups in London, I'm definitely up for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hen_bee)
    Hi everyone

I'm new to the thread. I'm currently in my second year for BA English Lit & Linguistics at QMUL, and I'm going to begin revising for the GAMSAT in the next few weeks. Just out of interest, have I left it really late? I've read a couple of other threads and some people say that 3 months is enough, others have prepared for a year.

Any comments?

Also, how is everyone doing on extra-curriculars? I wanted some advice on how this sounds;

- Scouts group leader
    - Employment doing admin at a childcare facility, so understand healthcare policies, etc
    - Volunteered for a few cancer charities
    - Volunteered at a government hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks
    - Experience looking after an ill family member

I feel like that's not enough, but that may just be because St George's (which is my focus) has a Hell of a list regarding work experience.

All comments and advice welcome! And as for any study groups in London, I'm definitely up for that
    Hey, I'm part of a GAMSAT specific London study group in its infancy. Fancy joining? We're meeting this Saturday.

I actually spoke with SGUL earlier today and they said they really want experience in care settings and roles. But at the same time, a variety of experience. So regarding work experience, you're looking really good. Probably best to make sure however that you are continuing to volunteer in a care setting now and will be regularly until your interview to show committment (e.g. a few hours per week).

ReputationRep:
    Ah, where would I find secretary's contact information? I haven't had luck on NHS websites.
    The internet? Seriously, be resourceful. Nobody's going to spoon feed you. The GMC has a register of every doctor in the UK, so find some local ones and get Googleing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    The internet? Seriously, be resourceful. Nobody's going to spoon feed you. The GMC has a register of every doctor in the UK, so find some local ones and get Googleing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fantastic how patient you are. I did not know GMC had a register. So bloody chill. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic how patient you are. I did not know GMC had a register. So bloody chill. Idiot.
    I need to chill? All I was alluding to is that you should do some research before coming on here asking silly questions. Literally googling "consultant secretary email London" brings up numerous results, but you weren't even capable of doing that!? Despite this I still gave you the info you were looking for, and was called an idiot in return. Charming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm part of a GAMSAT specific London study group in its infancy. Fancy joining? We're meeting this Saturday.

I actually spoke with SGUL earlier today and they said they really want experience in care settings and roles. But at the same time, a variety of experience. So regarding work experience, you're looking really good. Probably best to make sure however that you are continuing to volunteer in a care setting now and will be regularly until your interview to show committment (e.g. a few hours per week).
    Ooh, I do like the sound of that! Whereabouts in London? I'm based East way

That's nice to hear someone say! I'm definitely going to keep at it until I graduate from QM, so here's to hoping it's enough...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're not in full time study/employment then I would definitely recommend getting a HCA job. Voluntary work is near impossible if you don't already have previous care work experience and consultants rarely ever reply back to emails - but if you can get some shadowing work you'll definitely stand out.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    GP surgeries! So long as it's not in your area, you can register it as "work experience" and shadow GPs. Or volunteer at NHS hospitals. I've heard that old-age communities are received well on apps too, and for that you just walk into one, express interest in volunteering and go from there. Usually you need a DRB done, but they can do it through the company

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hospital+volunteering+london

No need to thank me...

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am also new to this thread! Is anyone here re-doing any A-Levels to get into a specific University? I really want to go to Southampton but they want an A Level in Chemistry or Biology. Unfortunately, (I won't bore you with the details) I got a D for Biology and did not even do Chemistry. However, I am predicted a 1st for my degree in Psychology

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man but I've written applications to many of these places already. Finding volunteering itself isn't hard, it's hearing back and securing something that doesn't clash with daytime work hours. Maybe I'm just being impatient haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just be patient. Also red cross etc are good too. But make sure its something you want to do and can put the hours into as nothing worse than someone doing something haphazardly! Kings have a recruitment one in June and I know they let volunteers after 3-6 months apply for work experience. If not call local hospices and nursing homes!

On the plus side.. Alex Vause :perv: :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjla94)
    Hi everyone! I am also new to this thread! Is anyone here re-doing any A-Levels to get into a specific University? I really want to go to Southampton but they want an A Level in Chemistry or Biology. Unfortunately, (I won't bore you with the details) I got a D for Biology and did not even do Chemistry. However, I am predicted a 1st for my degree in Psychology
    I did a classics degree and took a chemistry a level after I finished purely to apply to Southampton. However, I hadn't done it the first time around, which may make a difference. Best to call them and ask about their policy on resits I reckon!

Edit: I just realised you didn't do Chem the first time around. In which case it may be worth doing (although if it's just for Southampton it may be a bit of a waste of time/money). Southampton only require a c at Chemistry a level, no other science required at a level, so don't worry about your biology result!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcsurfer)
    Just be patient. Also red cross etc are good too. But make sure its something you want to do and can put the hours into as nothing worse than someone doing something haphazardly! Kings have a recruitment one in June and I know they let volunteers after 3-6 months apply for work experience. If not call local hospices and nursing homes!

On the plus side.. Alex Vause :perv: :sexface:
    Vause is the sex. Can't wait until S3!

Are you at Kings? I'm planing to finish my application for there tonight (the online application is ball ache long!) I'm keen to go there as they apparently have the best reputation for treating liver disorders in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    I did a classics degree and took a chemistry a level after I finished purely to apply to Southampton. However, I hadn't done it the first time around, which may make a difference. Best to call them and ask about their policy on resits I reckon!

Edit: I just realised you didn't do Chem the first time around. In which case it may be worth doing (although if it's just for Southampton it may be a bit of a waste of time/money). Southampton only require a c at Chemistry a level, no other science required at a level, so don't worry about your biology result!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When you were studying for Chemistry - were you a self-taught candidate? or did you apply through a college? I am just thinking that it would probably be beneficial to do Chemistry because I haven't really done much of it for my degree. But I am still thinking about it. I also need an AS in chemistry to get in to Barts :dry: So it may be worth doing!

So are you in a GEM course now?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.