Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let's all get one thing straight here:

Charlie Hebdo was a lesser evil than Islam and the Muslim population.

ReputationRep:
    The Muslims who criticise and denounce free speech on the wake of the Charlie Hebdo attack are inadvertently (or perhaps knowingly) assisting the goals of extremists.

You just have to look at the western countries that are refusing to publish the Mohammed cartoons because of 'respect for religion,' or what is most plausible: fear. The BBC and most major US networks (CNN, Fox, CBS, ABS) have all said they will not show these cartoons. They are hereby conforming to Islamic blasphemy laws in non-Islamic countries.

Islamic terrorism is winning. Well done fellas.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing about freedom of expression, they have the right to draw the most offensive things, you have right to tell them it's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    That's the thing about freedom of expression, they have the right to draw the most offensive things, you have right to tell them it's disgusting.
    So why are racial slurs on the internet and irl punished, yet these cartoons are still allowed?
    Inconsistency brah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is **** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm quite disappointed with this post, not because you're not Charlie (everyone has the right to an opinion), but because you've taken the cartoons you posted wildly out of context despite Muslims always complaining that non-muslims do the same when referencing the Quran. For example, it's already been explained several times on this thread how the monkey cartoon isn't actually racist in the context it was drawn in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'm quite disappointed with this post, not because you're not Charlie (everyone has the right to an opinion), but because you've taken the cartoons you posted wildly out of context despite Muslims always complaining that non-muslims do the same when referencing the Quran. For example, it's already been explained several times on this thread how the monkey cartoon isn't actually racist in the context it was drawn in.
    How would you defend the bullet one though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Up quark)
    So why are racial slurs on the internet and irl punished, yet these cartoons are still allowed?
    Inconsistency

Posted from TSR Mobile

France and the UK are different jurisdictions so have different laws.

Some countries have harassment laws, so you can publish something offensive, but if you walk up to a person you know will find it offensive and shout that thing in their face, then you are breaking the law.

I can use the word ******, but if I walk up to a Black person and shout ****** at him, I might be arrested.

In my opinion, there should be total unbridled freedom of expression, as is the case in the US, but no European country as far as I am aware has this.

ReputationRep:
    How would you defend the bullet one though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I remember seeing the explanation for that one a few pages back, I'm on my phone ATM but if you can't find it quote me back later and I'll explain.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Charlie Hebdo's team was composed of Marxists, antimilitarists, antiracists, trotskyists, anarchists, etc. They ideologically cannot be racist. Those who say the contrary have never read the paper. Their main goal is to be provocative towards bigotry, capitalism, politics... They use the discourse of their enemies to turn them into ridicule, so at first the cartoons look racist, homophobic, intolerant... but you need to have a good knowledge of French language and politics to understand the meaning. OP has neither of these.

It is also striking to see that Marine Le Pen said that "she is not Charlie" as well. It's touching to see Muslims and the National Front together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    :facepalm:
    Charlie Hebdo's team was composed of Marxists, antimilitarists, antiracists, trotskyists, anarchists, etc. They ideologically cannot be racist. Those who say the contrary have never read the paper. Their main goal is to be provocative towards bigotry, capitalism, politics... They use the discourse of their enemies to turn them into ridicule, so at first the cartoons look racist, homophobic, intolerant... but you need to have a good knowledge of French language and politics to understand the meaning. OP has neither of these.

It is also striking to see that Marine Le Pen said that "she is not Charlie" as well. It's touching to see Muslims and the National Front together.
    Beyond the ideology called Islam, people like the original poster have probably never studied or even heard about such philosophies in order to begin to understand the context (so the OP is most likely ignorant as opposed to dishonest in grossly misrepresenting the cartoons). The bizarre over-emotional response to drawings seems to be the only driving factor in their reasoning here or lack thereof.

Similarly with right-wing fascists like the NF, their ignorance and emotional arguments drown out any rational discourse. You are right to link the two together as they have much in common, both seeking to undo centuries of progress in the persuit of liberty, in their own totalitarian ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevels2k15)
    ISLAM DOES NOT JUSTIFY VIOLENCE! Those people have NOT been able to justify their acts of violence using the Holy Qur'an.
    There are many muslims that are OPPOSING this act of violence commited by them! Why?... Because ISLAM does Not Justify violence.

Those people are wronging islam.
    If islam is so pacifist then why are there so much any such violent parts of the Quran?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Inconsistency brah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See, that's why we have something known as "juridical institutions", which condemn racist people and defend those that did nothing wrong. That's also why Charlie Hebdo was never condemned while Minute (the newspaper which said that our Black Justice minister "a la banane" - a French phrase involving bananas) was.

Charlie is not a racist person. It's a left-wing, provocative, progressive, anti-racist, anti-National Front newspaper aiming at making people more tolerant.
    It just feels like I've repeated this over a hundred times, but of course it's always easier to bash something when you're blissfully ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    It IS a religion of peace. And it IS perfect.

The religion IS perfect, whereas the people are not.

This is a statement that you will refuse to agree to right now, but i swear, there will be a time when you will agree.

Thats all.
    It's quite amusing really, the level of delusion that you cling to as, more and more, your dark-age doctrine is shown to be both flawed and dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Who's Charlie?

Until recently, I avoided the Je Suis Charlie thing since it started because I thought it was about a French rendition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is **** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do not make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

You know how you and your fellow apologists keep droning on about people taking the Qur'an "out of context"? Well take a guess at what you're doing right now...

Hypocrisy is strong in this one.

ReputationRep:
    I said the religion was perfect and the people ARE not.
    Actually, the religion is imperfect very clearly. The obvious flaw being the inherent schism as a result of ambiguous text.

Since the people are not perfect, defects in their brains caused them to misunderstand a part of the glorious text.
    Shouldn't you, as a Muslim, argue that human beings are perfect creations from the hand of Allah?

You're trying to say that islam justifies this horrendous act. Infact, it condems it.
    This is a very bold claim and is somewhat incorrect.

In Sharia law, blasphemers are punishable by death. The Charlie Hebdo cartoons would constitute blasphemy under Sharia law. While the perpetrators do not have the authority to do this, they were arguably trying to impose the Sharia blasphemy law on French soil.

Condemning the attack doesn't do much either, you have to condemn the motives of the attack if you want to alienate Muslim extremists.

Dont even bother arguing with what i have just stated.
    This quite a poor thing to say. You're essentially putting your fingers in your ears because you don't like being proven wrong. So you say this to try and give your post a brush of truism. It's not fooling anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenahussein)
    If you are depending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically depending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    and you are muslims. nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Tibis ii makes some good points but by referring to the "Whites" do this..... she is a racist !

Charlie Hebdo is an extreme left mag and the govt past an present have been used and satire upon..........however look at who is there today at the "manifestation".

I still don't accept the need to offend religions, especially non western, in order to fell FREE ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry. Typo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    where are you from miss hussain? which middle eastern country? here's an idea ... if you don't like our values, our christian values and our values of democracy .. why don't you go back to whatever hole of a country your family originate from?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody supports his killing, at all. But we all agree he was a foul human-being

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you even know what happened? I don't think you have any idea what actually happened.

(Original post by TheWaffle)
    What was its context exactly?
    The cartoon, titled "Rassemblement bleu Raciste" ("Racist Blue Gathering"), was a satirical attack on Marine le Pen, the leader of France's far right wing party and part of the "Rassemblement bleu Marine" ("Marine Blue Gathering"), who described Christiane Taubira, the French Minister of Justice, as a monkey.

(Original post by queen-bee)
    What about the police officer who died? He just so happened to be a muslim yet they still gunned him down
    What about him? He has received waves of support, including the #JeSuisAhmed hashtag, as has the Muslim clerk that hid his Jewish clients in the fridge until it was safe for them to leave. Nobody here has claimed what they did was anything less than admirable, and you're completely missing the point of the person you're replying to.

(Original post by al_94)
    I think they should not be allowed to draw these kind of cartoons and get away with it but people go to jail for insulting the army. I don't know what the law is in France I don't care about that but I'm talking about the UK.
    And you have every right to express that, though I don't know why you would given how futile it is.
    People also don't go to jail for insulting the army. I've seen enough "the army is for people who fail school" posts in my time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.