why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's? Watch

Sandra1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
That is a lie. It is basically like saying to people like me and others oh don't worry how hard you have worked to get into cambridge your degree is worth the same as someone from london met. If you think this is true your seriously deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you think you will be learning the samee thing but in different ways and you get the same titled degree...some employeers wouldn't ask 'where did you study?' Would they? They would ask how much experience you have?
I understand Cambridge and Oxford are top unis...but if you went to Cambridge or London met you will still get a job...plus employers would want the more experienced person anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sandra1)
Don't you think you will be learning the samee thing but in different ways and you get the same titled degree...some employeers wouldn't ask 'where did you study?' Would they? They would ask how much experience you have?
I understand Cambridge and Oxford are top unis...but if you went to Cambridge or London met you will still get a job...plus employers would want the more experienced person anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You clearly have no understanding of the graduate market.

There is a reason companies have a UCAS point requirement, it's to subtly filter out those who attend lower quality unis. They aren't blatantly (well some do) going to say they chose based on prestige they do it behind closed doors.
I think you'll find that you have to state the institution on your CV - they wouldn't need to ask.

First of all, you most definitely WON'T learn the same content at universities with that large a gap. I've looked at the computer science curriculum at universities near the top of the league tables; they are much more rigorous and theoretical (the way it should be) than the lower ranking ones.

Quite literally, some of these so called Computer Science wouldn't teach you your ass from your behind. So, how the hell are the graduates as well versed in the fundamentals? They bloody well aren't.

To your other point, you probably won't get a job considering the employment statistics for graduates at lower end universities are dire. We are talking 40-50% of people successful finding ANY (including unskilled work) job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if I agree with you here, I chose to go to a better uni than my friend for the same course and I seem to be learning much more
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol but not a job of the same calibre unfortunately. Grades were made for a reason, to distinguish between people aswell as graded degrees. Or oh 'its just a degree a degree is a degree from anywhere' sorry to burst your little bubble.
Jessicamessica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Patrick2810)
Maybe because the majority of students doing them are the less-able students?
Competley agree 👊haha
Sandra1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jessicamessica)
Competley agree 👊haha
There are people doing btecs who got As in their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jessicamessica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
A-Levels are HARDER than Btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that I hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to Btec students with DDD and A-Level students with AAA. As if a Distinction is equivalent to an A in A-Level. An A is so much harder to obtain than Distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** Btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same University. What utter nonsense.
So true Btec people have it easy because there so academically unable that people treat them as if they are three and make the work easier for them
Jessicamessica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Competley false. People do btecs because for some stupid reason they can't even manage to get at least a b in any academic subjects at gcse.
If they got A/a*s they would be doing a level not Btecs ,that are worth nothing.
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh but they probably didn't get As in there core subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So true Btec people have it easy because there so stupid that people treat them as if they are three and make the work easier for them
If BTEC students are SO stupid as you put it then how come they get into uni?? I did a BTEC and am now doing a degree!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jessicamessica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ohhello92x)
If BTEC students are SO stupid as you put it then how come they get into uni?? I did a BTEC and am now doing a degree!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't say stupid I was implying not academically able.
what degree are you doing?
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ohhello92x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is not always an achievement. Some unis are quite happy to take anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jessicamessica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
👍👍👏true dat
sarahlimonx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Competley false. People do btecs because for some stupid reason they can't even manage to get at least a b in any academic subjects at gcse.
If they got A/a*s they would be doing a level not Btecs ,that are worth nothing.
I got all A* A Bs and a few Cs (in subjects I hated) at GCSE. So I think your point is completely false, darling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not true I chose BTEC because it was better preparation for my degree rather than A levels.

I'm now studying at a good uni and my BTEC has prepared me well for what I'm studyong.

And you shouldn't be calling people less academically able because BTEC covers the same content as A level for example the maths in BTEC Engineering is the same as topics covered in M/FM A levels also the Computing units in the IT BTEC are the same (if not more in depth) than A level Computing/IT/CS
sarahlimonx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If there so easy why did u do a btec
I've experienced both A levels and BTECs, so I feel experienced enough to actually pose the argument. You on the other hand seem to just need to give yourself a little bit of self gratification because you have studied A Levels.

BTECs provide more life experience, give you more in depth knowledge on the subject you want to pursue a career in. They provide work experience placements which make you more employable if the individual chooses to go straight in a job from their studies. However, a lot of universities like the idea that you have had experience working within your chosen sector, it also shows a little bit of determination that you have worked there unpaid too.
Michael_98
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Competley agree 👊haha
I got As and Bs at gcse and I do a mix A Levels and a Btec Electronic Engineering so your statement is kinda false

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't say stupid I was implying not academically able.
what degree are you doing?
I'm doing a Health and social care degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So? BTEC students have just the same right as A Level students to attend uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
gagafacea1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sarahlimonx)
I've experienced both A levels and BTECs, so I feel experienced enough to actually pose the argument. You on the other hand seem to just need to give yourself a little bit of self gratification because you have studied A Levels.

BTECs provide more life experience, give you more in depth knowledge on the subject you want to pursue a career in. They provide work experience placements which make you more employable if the individual chooses to go straight in a job from their studies. However, a lot of universities like the idea that you have had experience working within your chosen sector, it also shows a little bit of determination that you have worked there unpaid too.
Okay that's nice and all, but if I was doing BTEC's, I wouldn't have been able to even visit the mathematics open day at Cambridge. Hell they don't even talk about BTECs on the official site lol. And the same goes for, oxford, bath, imperial, etc. So NO, BTECs are in no way equal, and sure as hell aren't better, than A-levels. And please don't give me that Disney fairytale story that "all unis are the same, oxbridge students aren't better, and they're probably less suited to work environments" lolololol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads