Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    That's asking you to look at structural factors and internal factors.

Highly unlikely to come up.
    Okay thanks I'm just not sure I could write a 20 marker on just the organisational structure haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsure_Student)
    Okay thanks I'm just not sure I could write a 20 marker on just the organisational structure haha!
    Anyone got any good links towards 20 markers in education and methods?

ReputationRep:
    For everyone who is struggling with an essay structure for question 5 and 9, my teacher told us to use the PET structure (practical, ethical and theoretical).
    For example if it was for the advantages of questionnaires you would structure it as follows:
    Introduction
    Paragraph 1- Practical: cost- questionnaires are cheap, access- can easily access your participants, time- questionnaires are quick to make.
    Paragraph 2- Ethical: harm- questionnaires allow the participant to answer anonymously, consent- if they have answered the questionnaire they have given consent (no forms are needed to be signed).
    Paragraph 3- Positivists (Oakley) would favour a closed question questionnaire as they are more interested in what is happening whereas a interpretivist (Becker) would favour an open question questionnaire as they are more interested in why it is happening.
    Conclusion

He also told us that if the question is asking for disadvantages of a method then do not write how to overcome the disadvantages. The examiners just want to know your knowledge of what the disadvantages are. I have been advised to spend about 20 minutes on the 20 markers and to write 2 sides (1 side every 10 minutes- applies to every question). Also in question 5 and 9 it is not crucial to mention sociologists.

Hope this helps guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busofhippies)
    For everyone who is struggling with an essay structure for question 5 and 9, my teacher told us to use the PET structure (practical, ethical and theoretical).
    For example if it was for the advantages of questionnaires you would structure it as follows:
    Introduction
    Paragraph 1- Practical: cost- questionnaires are cheap, access- can easily access your participants, time- questionnaires are quick to make.
    Paragraph 2- Ethical: harm- questionnaires allow the participant to answer anonymously, consent- if they have answered the questionnaire they have given consent (no forms are needed to be signed).
    Paragraph 3- Positivists (Oakley) would favour a closed question questionnaire as they are more interested in what is happening whereas a interpretivist (Becker) would favour an open question questionnaire as they are more interested in why it is happening.
    Conclusion

He also told us that if the question is asking for disadvantages of a method then do not write how to overcome the disadvantages. The examiners just want to know your knowledge of what the disadvantages are. I have been advised to spend about 20 minutes on the 20 markers and to write 2 sides (1 side every 10 minutes- applies to every question). Also in question 5 and 9 it is not crucial to mention sociologists.

Hope this helps guys
    Thank you. So where does evaluation come in then? If we only say either disadvantages or advantages, do we just compare them with eachother?

ReputationRep:
    You have to try and evaluate at the end of each PET paragraph

ReputationRep:
    So can someone please tell me the predicted questions and essays for all topics tomorrow please?

ReputationRep:
    Who has essay on methods in context ??? Struggle so much with it , can't get more than 13marks 😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how you can overcome money and resources as a practical issue for questionnaires?

ReputationRep:
    what are the advantages and disadvantages of documents ?

ReputationRep:
    Does both the family and education/research paper account for 50% each of the final grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tienn)
    Does anyone know how you can overcome money and resources as a practical issue for questionnaires?
    by using the internet questionnaires can be sent to a wide range of participants at little cost to the sociologist in question

though i would concentrate more on accessibility, who is getting the questionnaires, who has time to complete them, then go onto talk about right answerism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca1234567)
    Does both the family and education/research paper account for 50% each of the final grade?
    no 40 % family
    60% education and methods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca1234567)
    Nope.
    AS: 40% - Families & Households 60% - Education with research methods
    (overall for a level) GCE: 20% - Families & Households 30% - Education with research methods

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the paper my dad is cheif examiner at AQA and he told me education will definately be section A and research methods will probably come up on section B. No need to thank me.

ReputationRep:
    Can people help me sum up the examples for each research method studies?!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how you'd put in a theoretical paragraph for the RM question? I just don't get how to apply theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbeady9)
    Nope.
    AS: 40% - Families & Households 60% - Education with research methods
    (overall for a level) GCE: 20% - Families & Households 30% - Education with research methods
    do you know the grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dappteman)
    by using the internet questionnaires can be sent to a wide range of participants at little cost to the sociologist in question

though i would concentrate more on accessibility, who is getting the questionnaires, who has time to complete them, then go onto talk about right answerism
    wait I'm sure we don't talk about ways to overcome issues do we? Like if its the advantages and disadvantages you'd just state them and link back to the item I'm sure.. or maybe we've learnt it differently!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallingleaves97)
    wait I'm sure we don't talk about ways to overcome issues do we? Like if its the advantages and disadvantages you'd just state them and link back to the item I'm sure.. or maybe we've learnt it differently!
    Very possibly but I'm sure we will be fine going in for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dappteman)
    Very possibly but I'm sure we will be fine going in for it
    would new right come up for 12 or 20 marker???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.