Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here got a unconditional? I got one for history with foundation year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Congrats to everyone who got an offer 🙌. I got an offer of ABB for chemical engineering with a foundation year 🎉🎉 anyone else who applied for this course?
    At one moment I though I was the only one doing Chemical Engineering course (without foundation though) as all fellow chem eng students are probably hiding somewhere (or are close to extinction idk). Congrats on offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erossi98)
    Anyone got an offer for MEng Chemical Engineering? Thinking of firming it.
    Have you?

ReputationRep:
    Looking for flatmates - if you're in Derwent A4 drop me a PM.

ReputationRep:
    An offer for Urban Studies & Planning. Anyone else?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi folks

It's graduation week on campus so we have lots of happy graduands and their guests enjoying the Sheffield sunshine whilst the jazz band plays and the champagne is poured!

At this time of year, our graduating students always get a tad nostalgic and reflect on what were the best times at university. As these reflections contain some good advice and useful tips, we'll be sharing them with you this week. First up, Bailey Steel and "Things to do in Sheffield before you finish your degree"

Enjoy!

Elizabeth
    UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Afternoon all!

Like the rest of the UK, Sheffield is hot, hot, hot today! Today's blog posts were written by Evie Shaw (who studied English Language and Linguistics) and Harriet Hales. The 'Tramlines' reference in Harriet's blog is Sheffield's annual music festival that is taking place this weekend.

So long, farewell . . . ,Evie Shaw
    Reminiscing: things I'll miss about Sheffield, Harriet Hales

All the best

Elizabeth
    UK/EU Student Recrutiment Officer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Day 3 of the graduation-inspired posts . . . and today's has a sporting theme. Varsity is the annual sports tournament between the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam. This year was the 20th anniversary of the tournament and the talented students at Forge TV put together this very motivational trailer which gives a flavour of the event:

And the final year student who wrote the blog that inspired today's post? Anthony Phillips

All the best

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    It's Friday and our last graduation inspired post :-) As yesterday was all about sport, we thought we'd even it up by putting a spotlight something else that Sheffield is famous for . . . music!

So whether you have a soft spot for Pulp or wonder how the Arctic Monkeys could include 'mardy bum' in their lyrics, please read on . . .

Sheffield: city of music, Bridget Coulter https://shefunistudents.wordpress.co...city-of-music/

Sheffield in song: great music inspired by the steel city, Bridget Coulter https://shefunistudents.wordpress.co...he-steel-city/

Collecting vinyl on a budget in Sheffield, Chantal Sullivan-Thomsett https://shefunistudents.wordpress.com/2016/06/22/collecting-vinyl-on-a-budget-in-sheffield/

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth
    Student Recruitment Officer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Good morning!

Now that we’re into August, everyone is starting to think about (a) the Olympic Games in Rio and (b) Results Day and Clearing.

If your focus is (a), the BBC has a wealth of information: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016 (other sports websites are available).

If you’d like to know more about Results and Clearing, we’ve created a handy guide which is now live at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing

If you think that you might be using Clearing or Adjustment, you can register your interest in our courses now so that you’re ahead of the rush: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/
    Please note: the course list on the advance registration page includes all of our undergraduate courses but not all of them will have places in Clearing. We’ll only know which courses have places when the exam results are out.

Have a good week

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piamaw)
    civil engineering here😁
    I'm so sorry I never got a notification! I think I need to check that 😁

Are you excited?

ReputationRep:
    hello friends, I have an offer for biomedical sciences which is AAB, but I might miss some grades so I wanted to know if you or your friends have any success stories of getting in even though they missed the grades ? Much appreciated.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone ,

I'm Amelia, one of the student ambassadors at the University of Sheffield and I'm here to answer any qurstions you might have today. I've just finished my BSc Biology degree after studying Biology, Chemistry and History at A-Level, and am starting an MSc in Management and Leadership in September. As part of my Biology degree, I chose to do a dissertation, so spent lots of time writing and reading about a particular aspect of biology. I'm from Manchester originally so moved to Sheffield when I started my degree and lived in halls for the first year before moving into a privately owned house for my later years.

During my time at University I have had a part time job as a student ambassador, with one of the highlights of which includes dressing up as the University's mascot, Rory the tiger on one of the open days! Further to this I have also been a part of the Women's Cricket Club for the duration of my time at University, spending two years on committee also. I have also taken part in various volunteering and fundraising projects across the University and next year I am also taking up a position on the University's Sports Committee.

So if you have any questions about anything to do with student life at the University of Sheffield right through to applying with clearing I'll be more than happy to answer them and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    If you know you're going to Sheffield and can't wait to get stuck into the fun of Fresher's Week, tickets for the events have just gone on sale. The facebook event for the week (https://www.facebook.com/events/1553850258252627/) details what's going on at the Union Nightclub throughout the week and provides links for all the event ticket pages in the description so is well worth a read.

Fresher's Week is a great time to settle in to University and get to know all the people in your flat and beyond. In my experience, most people attend nights out at the union in Fresher's Week, especially towards the beginning of the week, and the Union is packed full of Freshers just like yourselves every night of the week. The Union is also a top night year round so you'll have a great time. I went to the Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Saturday events at the Union in my freshers week, heading out into sheffield on the Wednesday and Friday night but the best nights out I had were definitely had in the Union! Since then I've become a ROAR addict, which is the regular Wednesday Union night, so I'll be popping over to the webiste to buy my ticket for that once I'm done posting on here!

If you already know which nights you want to go to then go ahead and buy your tickets now, but if you're not too sure yet or you want to wait a bit longer before making a decision don't worry! Most events won't sell out for a while yet as there'll be loads of people thinking the same thing as you and waiting to buy tickets. If you're wanting tickets to pop tarts on the Saturday however don't wait too long as they tend to sell out quicker than the rest, but don't take that as a cue to panic buy -there's plenty of tickets to go around!

Also, check out @shefintro16 if you want to know more about what goes on in Fresher's Week!

Amelia
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone,

I'm signing off now, but Charlotte and Alice from UK/EU Recruitment will be looking after the forum tomorrow and will be able to answer any questions you may have.

The Clearing and adjustment helpline (0114 222 8015) is still open and will remain so until 6pm this evening, and then will re-open tomorrow from 8.30am-5pm.

All the best,

Amelia
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone,

I'm Charlotte, Student Recruitment Administrator at the University of Sheffield, and graduate of English Literature in 2012

I'll be here to help with any questions you have today about Sheffield with my colleague Alice.

Just for your information, the Clearing and Adjustment helpline is open today from 8:30am - 5pm, and the phone number is 0114 222 8015 if you need to get in touch.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Charlotte

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am still waiting on my accommodation confirmation to come through. In the meantime I am trying to book flights from Northern Ireland in advance to get them cheaper, would you know what the moving in date is, and when we can start staying at our accommodation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

When will the university next make contact with me (was expecting like a welcome email on results day)?
    and when do most people hear about accommodation?

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lawlawlessness)
    Hi

When will the university next make contact with me (was expecting like a welcome email on results day)?
    and when do most people hear about accommodation?

Thank you!
    Hi there

When your place at Sheffield is confirmed, soon after this you will receive a pre-arrival information pack in the post.

The pre-arrival pack contains all the information you will need to prepare yourself to come to Sheffield and to register with the University.

UK/EU students living in the UK will receive:
    • Essential Guide to University Life UK booklet
    • Essential Guide to Registration, which includes information about Intro Week and registering with the University
    • Essential Guide to Living in Sheffield
    • Location map
    Students paying International fees or living overseas will receive:
    • Essential Guide to University Life International booklet
    • Essential Guide to Registration, which includes information about Intro Week and registering with the University
    • Location map
    Hope this helps and that you are looking forward to coming to Sheffield next month!

My colleague from the Accommodation Office will be responding to your accommodation query shortly, so look out for a post soon!

Charlotte
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by krowfan)
    Hi.

I am still waiting on my accommodation confirmation to come through. In the meantime I am trying to book flights from Northern Ireland in advance to get them cheaper, would you know what the moving in date is, and when we can start staying at our accommodation?

Thanks
    Hello,

I'm Caroline, I work in Accommodation & Commercial Services and I'm here to help answer questions today. Your accommodation offer will be sent to you by email within the next couple of weeks so don't worry if you don't hear from us straight away, our Accommodation Team is working on allocating students to rooms as we speak. When checking your emails it may be worth keeping an eye on your junk mail too, just in case it ends up here by accident. If you don't hear from us or have any issues, feel free to email the Accommodation Team on [email protected] .uk and we'll look into it.

Your accommodation contract will tell you the exact move in date for your accommodation, and it will be either Saturday 17th or Sunday 18th September. You'll be sent a link to complete an e-induction where you can choose your preferred time slot for arrival/key collection on your move in day.

If you need to arrive earlier than your contract start date, we would recommend signing up for Orientation Week - here's the link for info about that: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/news...week/september

I hope this helps - there's more info on the accommodation website, including this page about moving in: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/arriving

Caroline, Marketing & Communications Coordinator

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.