25.75%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

• Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Yeh I was more worried that I wouldn't have time to do them, thanks for your help. Anyone know how long you should spend preparing for the BMAT?
    Everyone will have different opinions but I'd suggest about two months.

ReputationRep:
    I swear I'm so jealous of all of you guys. This year I don't think I'll even get 1A/A*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to BSMS tomorrow for the open day?

ReputationRep:
    As you may or may not know for this years UKCAT they are getting rid of Descision analysis and trailing a new subtest called Descision making. Apparently this new subtest won't be shown to universities and contribute to final score.

Do you guys feel that there is catch and they will actually send it to univeristies?

Since it won't contribute to the overall score is there any point concentrating and putting effort into learning and on the exam day where valuable time on test day can be used elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Dr Cobbold)
    As you may or may not know for this years UKCAT they are getting rid of Descision analysis and trailing a new subtest called Descision making. Apparently this new subtest won't be shown to universities and contribute to final score.

Do you guys feel that there is catch and they will actually send it to univeristies?

Since it won't contribute to the overall score is there any point concentrating and putting effort into learning and on the exam day where valuable time on test day can be used elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There won't be a catch, no. If I were doing the UKCAT again, I wouldn't bother going over that section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    There won't be a catch, no. If I were doing the UKCAT again, I wouldn't bother going over that section
    even so if you look at the new mocks its practically the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    even so if you look at the new mocks its practically the same
    According to the revision packs UKCAT give out it's completely different

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Cobbold)
    According to the revision packs UKCAT give out it's completely different

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh i see oh well but if they say it wont be counted they cant really count it as that would be fraud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Is it a good Idea to take both the UKCAT and BMAT? Or should you just focus on one
    You can do both. UKCAT is until early October and BMAT is in November. So your revision doesn't have to overlap.

ReputationRep:
    What UKCAT books does everyone recommend? ( apart from the 600/1000 questions Olivier Picard one)

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm a Scottish applicant and just did my UKCAT today and got a 636 average. Does anyone have any advice on what universities I should apply to.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    What UKCAT books does everyone recommend? ( apart from the 600/1000 questions Olivier Picard one)
    I don't think you need any others if you have those.

(Original post by OneAfrica)
    Hello I'm a Scottish applicant and just did my UKCAT today and got a 636 average. Does anyone have any advice on what universities I should apply to.
    Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

But some will be out of date - it'll be easier to decide when the averages are released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    I found the red Kaplan 1000 question book really, really good! The difficulty of the questions were equivalent to those in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    I found the red Kaplan 1000 question book really, really good! The difficulty of the questions were equivalent to those in the exam!
    agreed! i'm working through this now and finding the questions challenging but do able and they match the mock tests very well compared to the 600Q book which is so much harder than the exam

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys my friend willmot just finished doing the UKCAT. He got a low score of 603.3 and he's a Scottish applicant. What universities should he think of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen use UKCAT in combination with the rest of the application form so a lowish score may be okay as long as he then goes on to perform well at the interview.
    I think it's also roughly the same for Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews. and I seem to remember reading somewhere that in fact people got into St Andrews with scores as low as 525.
    So your friend could apply to any Scottish university but he will need a strong application form to bring his average up to a competitive level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    Aberdeen use UKCAT in combination with the rest of the application form so a lowish score may be okay as long as he then goes on to perform well at the interview.
    I think it's also roughly the same for Dundee, Glasgow and St Andrews. and I seem to remember reading somewhere that in fact people got into St Andrews with scores as low as 525.
    So your friend could apply to any Scottish university but he will need a strong application form to bring his average up to a competitive level.
    Thank you I will definitely pass on this information to my friend.

ReputationRep:
    I got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE, but apart from obviously Oxbridge what unis should I definitely not apply to based on GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Just wondering if anyone has been to a Bristol open day for 2017 entry. If so, did you attend the medicine admissions talk?

Their selection process used to be based on 20% academics and 80% Personal Statement. Obviously it is changing now as they are part of the UKCAT consortium and AS levels are not being taken by everyone..

The 2017 admissions statement still isn't published and may not be available until the end of this month (I've just phoned medical admissions team). I'm just wondering what prospective students have been told at open days so far about how they are going to select students for interview eg weighting on academics, how they are using the UKCAT score etc.

(I will be posting this question elsewhere, so apologies if you see it more than once)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_a_mum)
    Hello.

Just wondering if anyone has been to a Bristol open day for 2017 entry. If so, did you attend the medicine admissions talk?

Their selection process used to be based on 20% academics and 80% Personal Statement. Obviously it is changing now as they are part of the UKCAT consortium and AS levels are not being taken by everyone..

The 2017 admissions statement still isn't published and may not be available until the end of this month (I've just phoned medical admissions team). I'm just wondering what prospective students have been told at open days so far about how they are going to select students for interview eg weighting on academics, how they are using the UKCAT score etc.

(I will be posting this question elsewhere, so apologies if you see it more than once)

Thank you
    From what I got told the UKCAT will account for 10% of the application and the personal statement 70% while grades account for 20%

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.