Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P____P)
    Just did this now, hope Im not too late
    Find the direction vector between the 2 position vectors and do the dot product of that with the unit normal vector (the normal of the 2 direction vectors)

The absolute value of the dot product is the shortest distance
    sorry I didn't see that you replied, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm just wondering, If I'm doing FP1 FP3 M2 S2 D1 D2 as my 6 modules for Further Maths, which ones do i need to average 90 in to get an A*? or is it all of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teee123)
    Hey guys I'm just wondering, If I'm doing FP1 FP3 M2 S2 D1 D2 as my 6 modules for Further Maths, which ones do i need to average 90 in to get an A*? or is it all of them?
    270 UMS (90 average) total in three of FP3, M2, S2 or D2
    480 UMS total in all of them combined.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help me? I'm taking fp3 as a module however I simply can't seem to get my head around vectors properly. Could someone maybe refer to me to a good website which explains in detail or someone just talk me through it? thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    270 UMS (90 average) total in three of FP3, M2, S2 or D2
    480 UMS total in all of them combined.
    could you help me with fp3 vectors please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major-fury)
    Could someone please help me? I'm taking fp3 as a module however I simply can't seem to get my head around vectors properly. Could someone maybe refer to me to a good website which explains in detail or someone just talk me through it? thank you.
    Are you happy with C4 vectors? Which parts of FP3 vectors do you not understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon-)
    sorry I didn't see that you replied, thanks!
    LOL, same!

Looks like I'm going to be living here for a couple of days....

:party::party::party:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    Are you happy with C4 vectors? Which parts of FP3 vectors do you not understand?
    c4 i did fine in but vectors i'm not too sure what i don't get. well i know how to do the simple stuff but when it comes to finding perpendicular distance, shortest distance between 2 planes etc i just get confused and can't seem to actually visualise or see how it works properly if you kinda understand what i'm saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    Like i'm getting quite worried as i need an a* in further this year well want it badly.

ReputationRep:
    Like i'm getting quite worried as i need an a* in further this year well want it badly.
    Go through the textbook and have a look at the examples. If you don't understand something, you'll know then what you dont understand. With vectors, just sketch something, it makes it a lot easier to deal with

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Hope this FP3 is a hellish exam so that boundaries are low enough that I can afford to make a lot of algebraic mistakes and still get an A/A*.

59 for A* for 2015 paper which only had about 10 marks of non-standard question...lolz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armpits)
    Hope this FP3 is a hellish exam so that boundaries are low enough that I can afford to make a lot of algebraic mistakes and still get an A/A*.

59 for A* for 2015 paper which only had about 10 marks of non-standard question...lolz
    IDK, it's either that, or a piss easy exam so you can get full marks and full UMS. Wouldn't you prefer that?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain this method please? Thanks in advance!

Zacken - hi are you able to explain to me how they found the position vector?? I'd be grateful
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmarPatel98)
    Imagine two pieces of paper meeting each other. See the two vectors as the directions of each plane. The cross product is the normal to these(which is parralel to the line through intersections clearly). A diagram helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    c4 i did fine in but vectors i'm not too sure what i don't get. well i know how to do the simple stuff but when it comes to finding perpendicular distance, shortest distance between 2 planes etc i just get confused and can't seem to actually visualise or see how it works properly if you kinda understand what i'm saying
    I understand. Vectors are quite difficult to visualise. Are there any questions in particular you're struggling with or can you not actually make a start in one of these questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P____P)
    IDK, it's either that, or a piss easy exam so you can get full marks and full UMS. Wouldn't you prefer that?:confused:
    I still make a lot of calculation/algebraic mistakes in piss easy exams though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmarPatel98)
    If line L belongs to plane pi, then it must be perpendicular to its normal n. If it also belongs to plane pi 2, then it must also be perpendicular to its normal n2. Therefore, it is parallel to the common perpendicular to the two normals. You find the common perpendicular using the cross product.

ReputationRep:

I wish the same

ReputationRep:

Hope you're aware that boundaries are set to match the performance of the population who sit the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give my a hand, cant see where I'm going wrong! Question is from the Mixed Exercise of FP3 on Differentiation.
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.