Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Attachment 538295

Can anyone explain why CH3CH2COCl hydrolysed more readily than CH3CH2CH2Cl??
    CH3CH2COCl has a carbonyl group, so the electronegative oxygen atom draws carbon's electrons away from it. This means that the carbocation of CH2CH2CH2Cl is less positive than that of CH3CH2COCl, therefore it is less attractive to nucleophiles, such as the oxygen atom of water in hydrolysis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone know anything about converting things to molar mass in titrations? panicking about the f321 retake tomorrow and want to ensure I covered every thing

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain why the reaction between phenol and Na is classed as a redox/reduction reduction, is it become the Carbon oxidation number decreases??
    It's redox because sodium loses an electron (and is oxidised) and the proton of the OH group of phenol gains an electron and is reduced to hydrogen.
    2CH6H5OH +2Na > 2CH6H5O-Na+ + H2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  114.7 KB

Can anyone explain y u would multiply the concentration by 100?? In the last question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    The water isn't used to produce the ester. 0.54 moles of the ester are produced, so an additional 0.54 moles of water are produced in the reaction, bringing the total amount of water in the equilibrium mixture up to 5.54 moles

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I see, what's the water used for then?

ReputationRep:
    Thread for retakes:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4069237

ReputationRep:

Can anyone explain y u would multiply the concentration by 100?? In the last question
    What was the answer to the last question?

ReputationRep:

It was diluted in a solution 100 times its volume. Which means it's concentration reduced by 100 times

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How was f321 chaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zirak46)
    How was f321 chaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thought I did well and turns out I made lots of silly mistakes. Really kicking myself for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Thought I did well and turns out I made lots of silly mistakes. Really kicking myself for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is how I feel as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got any hard questions or anything to be explained? I need to do some work for chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    Not sure if these have been posted yet.

June 2015 F321: Paper | Mark Scheme
    June 2015 F322: Paper | Mark Scheme
    June 2015 F324: Paper | Mark Scheme
    June 2015 F325: Paper | Mark Scheme
    You deserve all the reps sir! thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Got any hard questions or anything to be explained? I need to do some work for chem
    F325 January 2013, last question is a fun one.

ReputationRep:
    Found out today I got 38/60 :/ that Mr polymer Q and NMR Q are soooo hard

F325 January 2013, last question is a fun one.
    Water of crystallisation? I've done that over 5 times to make sure I get it :lol:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Found out today I got 38/60 :/ that Mr polymer Q and NMR Q are soooo hard
    I did that for a mini mock a couple of months and got like two marks out of 7

ReputationRep:
    On Q3ci June 2012 it gives you the structure of oxandrolone and asks you to name its functional groups. I wrote ester and hydroxyl groups but it says in MS that answer is alcohol and hydroxyl is wrong. Can anyone tell me why this is? I'd always thought hydroxyl functional group and alcohol functional group were the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science24601)
    On Q3ci June 2012 it gives you the structure of oxandrolone and asks you to name its functional groups. I wrote ester and hydroxyl groups but it says in MS that answer is alcohol and hydroxyl is wrong. Can anyone tell me why this is? I'd always thought hydroxyl functional group and alcohol functional group were the same.
    The mark scheme says "ignore" which doesn't mean that it's wrong - it's just not what they wanted. I assume they wanted 'alcohol' to differentiate it from phenol but I'm not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    The mark scheme says "ignore" which doesn't mean that it's wrong - it's just not what they wanted. I assume they wanted 'alcohol' to differentiate it from phenol but I'm not 100% sure.
    Okay, I see. It's definitely not a phenol though. This is the structure:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wh...lone+structure

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips for revision and for the exam to get the highest marks? I revise and do past papers etc but I'm constantly being caught out by ocr on silly questions and the the lost marks do add up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.