Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope for a math's biology paper!!!! HOORAY!!!

ReputationRep:
    Also in case anyone's teacher hasn't pointed this out, OCR published some example statistics questions last week, worth a look.

Questions: http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/scie...ology-students

Answers with detailed explanations: http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/scie...udents-answers

ReputationRep:
    I am not ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James3000117)
    You definitely don't need to learn these, as it states in the OCR Maths Skills Handbook that they are "formulae that will be provided in the assessments"

Chi squared
    Hardy Weinberg
    Simpson's
    Spearman's
    Standard Deviation
    Paired and unpaired T Tests

Still, it's not clear if they will be provided with the question like they were in the practice paper, or we will be given a formula sheet and required to pick the correct test. I'm thinking it's going to be the latter because the specification states "Select and use a statisticaltest" (M1.9)

Anyone's guess at the minute, guess we'll have to wait and see.
    On the spec it says standard deviation and/or t tests and or chi square test and or correlation coefficient

So our teacher has only taught standard deviation and said that you only need to know one

If that's not right does anyone have any notes on it please

ReputationRep:
    Who has OCR English lit tommorow ?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, just doing some practice questions in preparation for tomorrow and one question asked if both glycogen and cellulose had carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio.

I thought that they did not as it is a condensation reaction, so while the monomers have carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio the actual polymers would not as one molecule of water is lost with each glycosidic bond that is formed.

However the mark scheme is saying that they do have carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio- would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    I am not ready.
    Me neither😰

How much do you all know about the theory of evolution?

ReputationRep:
    OCR AS BIOLOGY A (2015) - These puns are getting cornea and cornea...
    http://link.q.is/Pnwc/QvKOBHPGFt

This is a quiz for Biology and it is getting constantly updated so it's really great for quick fire revision and good for practice of Multiple choice questions. Although its based from the OCR Spec, it's still useful for revision because biology is simply biology... So enjoy revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Nill. Let's pack our bags and get ready to live our life as a goat in kazhakstan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seh123)
    On the spec it says standard deviation and/or t tests and or chi square test and or correlation coefficient

So our teacher has only taught standard deviation and said that you only need to know one

If that's not right does anyone have any notes on it please
    Yeah they can ask you on any of the ones in my post (but some are very, very unlikely, for example Hardy-Weinberg since it's not taught until A2.) You are given the formula and are expected to substitute in the data and then make a conclusion on the result, like whether the difference is significant or not, by using a critical value table.

I can pm you some worksheets on the different statistical tests, but they are designed to be filled in during a teacher-led session so you might have to do a bit of research to fill some gaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    Wait lol.. We need to learn this too? Ngl but the first couple pages of the OCR A textbook are boring af and dense. I thought they were just background knowledge for us and skipped all of it :/

Does the spec even mention any of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aipomaniac)
    hey guys, just doing some practice questions in preparation for tomorrow and one question asked if both glycogen and cellulose had carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio.

I thought that they did not as it is a condensation reaction, so while the monomers have carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio the actual polymers would not as one molecule of water is lost with each glycosidic bond that is formed.

However the mark scheme is saying that they do have carbon and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio- would anyone be able to shed some light on this?
    all carbohydrates always have a one : two : one ratio with carbon : hydrogen : oxygen, so carbon : hydrogen would be one : two

(sorry I have to do them in letters, lol- if i use numbers annoying emoticons come up)

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions of what will come up tomorrow besides communicable diseases and gas exchange in animals considering they're new to the spec ?

(Original post by Nettled)
    Wait lol.. We need to learn this too? Ngl but the first couple pages of the OCR A textbook are boring af and dense. I thought they were just background knowledge for us and skipped all of it :/

Does the spec even mention any of that?
    I remember reading the spec and it saying something about knowing darwin's and wallace's theory but like you said boring af so i didn't even look at it until now. because the spec is so vague i have no idea how much we're supposed to know :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    all carbohydrates always have a one : two : one ratio with carbon : hydrogen : oxygen, so carbon : hydrogen would be one : two

(sorry I have to do them in letters, lol- if i use numbers annoying emoticons come up)
    Thank you! So what happens to hydroxyl group and hydrogen that combine to form water? However I am now extra confused as according to pubchem the molecular formula of cellulose is '(C6H10O5)n'I am sure it doesn't matter either way, but thank you for taking the time to explain it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millymolly123)
    Hi does anyone roughly know how many marks it is to get a C?
    Normally the grades go 80% A ,70% B , 60% C ,50% D and so on. Roughly need 42/70 on this paper to get a c grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonlyone12)
    yeah but teacher also told me that we gotta learn the formula. I checked on the spec, and the cgp guide, both dont cover students t test and spearmans ranks. quite confused. and also, surely calculations wont be on the breadth paper as the questions are worth at least like 4 marks
    It's on the spec...
    Module 4.2.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aipomaniac)

The monomers dont have it in a 1:2 ratio. The monomer is glucose which is C6H12OH so the ratio is 6:13. When two react together yes water is formed between the two OH groups So you get C6H12-O-C6H12 so now the ratio is 1:2

ReputationRep:
    Im so screwed

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2017
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.