• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    No, nor does it... umm... Appoint?
    Pretty sure appoint doesn't mean the opposite of disappoint...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Pretty sure appoint doesn't mean the opposite of disappoint...
    So am I. I was trying to think of a word, that had gone missing from my word bank and because I couldn't find it I had to take some desperate measures.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "the public shouldn't be shafted" - sounds like Labour

Okay Jammy.
    Answer the question, I can keep asking it if you want, just like with Bornblue: why do you think GDP in any metric is relevant?

ReputationRep:
    mobbsy91 I am a heterosexual female. I find it awfully backwards to speculate on one's sexual orientation; does it even matter?

Aph Think twice before speculating; it may get you into trouble some day.

I'm off now, for I have paperwork to complete and a husband to spend time with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Answer the question, I can keep asking it if you want, just like with Bornblue: why do you think GDP in any metric is relevant?
    The wealthier a country the more disposable income its citizens have. For example, say i own my own marketing company in the states and i want to branch elsewhere, do i go to the UK where the people have more money and i pay 19% corporation tax, or do i go hamteltjdn where the gdp is crap the people are all poor but there is no corporation tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The wealthier a country the more disposable income its citizens have. For example, say i own my own marketing company in the states and i want to branch elsewhere, do i go to the UK where the people have more money and i pay 19% corporation tax, or do i go hamteltjdn where the gdp is crap the people are all poor but there is no corporation tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do realise that not all businesses depend on domestic trade, most of those that set themselves up in those few dozen countries with lower taxes mostly being in that category? The main things a hedge fund is going to be interested in is beneficial regulations, low taxes, and good enough infrastructure to do business, that fund could provide 90% of the GDP, it doesn't matter because they are unlikely to be investing in the state they are based in
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    mobbsy91 I am a heterosexual female. I find it awfully backwards to speculate on one's sexual orientation; does it even matter?

Aph Think twice before speculating; it may get you into trouble some day.

I'm off now, for I have paperwork to complete and a husband to spend time with.
    Nope, not at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is confusing domiciling a business with expanding a business, a business will choose to domicile in the country where the GDP is low but where there are no corporation taxes. The business will place the headquarters in the wealthy country to make profit which is then moved to the poorer country to avoid paying tax; the wealth of a country has a tiny impact on a business' decision to domicile in a country.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would sell my products in the UK and have my British branch to have my skyhigh Bahamas headquarter licensing fees so my British branch makes no actual money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Nope, not at all.
    Good to hear.

ReputationRep:
    I actually regret marrying young TBH. A few months into the marriage, and I already has... suscpicions. My cousin told me, "Once a cheat, always a cheat!" but I was totally head over heels.
    Young people rarely value honour or loyalty enough to make a marriage work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Young people rarely value honour or loyalty enough to make a marriage work.
    After being shown evidence of his infidelity, I told my dear husband that I'll be handing him divorce papers some time during the week. I'm not surprised or upset in the slightest, and if you knew the full story then you'd understand. I'm not going to confide in someone I don't know, though.

I just want to crack on with life; that's just how I am. I'm actually relieved that the relationship is over! The MHoC makes for a good distraction.

ReputationRep:
    After being shown evidence of his infidelity, I told my dear husband that I'll be handing him divorce papers some time during the week. I'm not surprised or upset in the slightest, and if you knew the full story then you'd understand. I'm not going to confide in someone I don't know, though.

I just want to crack on with life; that's just how I am. I'm actually relieved that the relationship is over! The MHoC makes for a good distraction.
    If its any conciliation then provided your not religious and it was'nt an arranged marriage ect.. i actually consider the fact you were willing to take an emotional risk to be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If its any conciliation then provided your not religious and it was'nt an arranged marriage ect.. i actually consider the fact you were willing to take an emotional risk to be a good thing.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Coming back to comment this: as far as I can tell, David Cameron has done nothing wrong as regards the tax issue. For a start, he's paid income tax on the stuff from the fund, which is extremely significant IMO. Secondly, some forms of tax avoidance are obviously legitimate and moral. Most charitable donations are tax-deductible, and are thus tax avoidance - however, I find it very difficult to conceive of how charitable donations could be conceived as immoral except in some imperative utilitarian scheme (wherein basically all human activity would be immoral).

ReputationRep:
    lol I just walked into the lounge while my housemates were watching Donnie Darko (a 2001 film) and there is some politician type guy on tv saying "we need to go to Panama and clean up their money laundering". Cracked me up.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.