Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who got diagnosed with dyslexia so got extra time in exams but as he once said himself 'having extra time doesn't help if you can't actually read the question.' Plus he always finished way before everyone else anyway and you would see him sitting there with the paper closed when we all had to get up and leave.

I had another friend who got diagnosed as a 'slow writer' which seemed to basically mean she could hand her coursework in 6 months after everyone else. I don't think it's particularly fair that slow writers get more time however my brother appears to be a slow writer so we're trying our hardest to get him extra time, just because it's available and he'd actually be the one at a disadvantage if he didn't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chmbiogeog)
    Sounds like a great job but I'm not jealous, just stating my opinion as were you.
    You need to release that we live in a world with people who have disabilities . To accommodate people we have to make adjustments. Whether its extra time for a dyslexic person etc or providing step free access and lifts for wheal chair users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLousie)
    But maybe they are capable of A Levels, just because they struggle with exams it doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and make that path of study accessible to everyone. We shouldn't make our education system so inconvenient that people are forced into certain paths when they could do equally as well in the others. Just because someone is dyslexic it doesn't mean that they should have to do BTEC, especially when some career paths rely on A Levels in order to get there.

It's your choice not to get extra time or ask for something like a laptop, but don't act like others shouldn't get help because of your opinion.
    If you can't sit the exam in the dedicated time you are not totally fulfilling the a level course imo.
    Okay okay, perhaps slightly unreasonable but I definitely believe that uni's should be told when students get extra time. I am unsure if they are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the IT MAN)
    You need to release that we live in a world with people who have disabilities . To accommodate people we have to make adjustments. Whether its extra time for a dyslexic person etc or providing step free access and lifts for wheal chair users.
    Where should I release to? What is a wheal chair?
    Okay we have different opinions... move on.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't sit the exam in the dedicated time you are not totally fulfilling the a level course imo.
    Okay okay, perhaps slightly unreasonable but I definitely believe that uni's should be told when students get extra time. I am unsure if they are?
    My uni was told they accepted me as they can not discriminate lol.

ReputationRep:
    Where should I release to? What is a wheal chair?
    Okay we have different opinions... move on.
    Some ones jealous?

ReputationRep:
    My uni was told they accepted me as they can not discriminate lol.
    Which Uni do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Some ones jealous?
    Don't have anything to be jealous of. Did you have to inform the university that you had extra time?

ReputationRep:
    Don't have anything to be jealous of. Did you have to inform the university that you had extra time?
    Well yes so I could get extra time at uni.

ReputationRep:
    yes and no.
    the extra time isnt going to make the persons knowledge suddnely appear from no where. if they are smart they are smart. extra time should only be needed for special needs. if you write slow or bad handwriting you can use a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    In my view since exams are usually testing people's natural academic abilities, if a person has some kind of difficulty this should be reflected in a grade. If you think about it, some people are naturally thick and yet they don't get extra time for this.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who claims extra time because they 'write slowly' does not deserve it. Outside exams, whenever I see any gaps or unconnected loops in my handwriting, I get extremely agitated and fix each letter, so it takes twice as long for me to write. However, in exams, I blur my vision by crossing my eyes or look away from the page whilst writing so that I can write faster and avoid the urge to correct my letters. It has to be done and unless you are reasonably disabled, you have no excuse for not being able to speed your writing up for the sake of an exam.

ReputationRep:
    Extra time is not extra help, no one tells you the answers every one in the same position. Having extra time will not make you think of an answer if you dont know the answer.
    Everyone need time to think of an answer. Not just those who claims extra time

ReputationRep:
    They're not (I don't think, but another user said they were), but it wouldn't be fair if they did. It's just enabling them to have the same success as others, which is fair. People cheat the system but that's true of everything, you will always have people who find a way to take advantage of it. You should be allowed extra time because you shouldn't lose marks just because you can't put your thoughts on paper, even if you know all the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Appreciate you just replying to a small part of my post.

Just so people don't have to take your word for it, here is the main page about autism on NHS choices:

Autism: the facts

On its own, autism is not a learning disability or a mental health problem. But some people with autism have an accompanying learning disability, learning difficulty or mental health problem.

Autism is a spectrum condition. This means that while all people with autism share certain difficulties, the condition affects each person differently.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Autism/Pa...moverview.aspx
    Technically it's a developmental disorder. Not a disability or illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    If that is the case, it's a joke that he gets extra time just because of autism and no other intellectual disability.
    That's barely a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    Some people do deserve extra help but just having an autism diagnosis is no reason the person must have issues related to the autism which prevents them from completing the exams in normal timing. I am sick of people using autism as an excuse for extra time.
    It's a perfectly valid reason actually.

ReputationRep:
    It is not that much of a problem - there are people with medical problems such as dyslexia, and this one guy had to have handwriting help because he has problems with co-ordination.

Frankly, most of these guys already do enough... they've earnt the advantage. If there are people who are cheating the system, that is an unfortunate necessity ti give these people what they are looking for.

If I lost a percentage point across each of my subjects... I wouldn't mind - if you prepared by doing enough past papers, you would have got yourself to a standard where you would get the grade you wanted. (The past grade boundaries and the current grade boundaries are equally affected by certain people taking extra time).

ReputationRep:
    No.

Plenty of people in my school have absolutely no learning difficulties whatsoever yet can easily "qualify" for free time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I believe extra time is fair. Expecting someone with Dsylexia to process info as fast as non-disabled people is unfair and that's why we have equality law nowadays, not just relating to education but employment as well. I was offered extra time in my exams when I broke my arm but I rejected the offer personally because I'm competitive as ****.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.