Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel S2 exam?
    Very hard
    14.71%
    Hard
    33.57%
    Normal
    29.72%
    Easy
    15.42%
    Very easy
    6.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karatekid Shiva)
    Do we need to know the proofs for mean and variance: (a+b)/2 and 1/12(b-a)^12?? If so, how do u derive them?
    Yes. Through integration - look on examsolutions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this the last A level exam in general? From the people I know S2 is last. 27th June is damn late... Can't believe how quick college flew by. Seems like yesterday I was going to open days.

ReputationRep:
    This question
    6aii

I don't understand why we are looking at the upper critical value and not the lower critical value as it says minimum

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466955202.704696.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  141.9 KB

MS: Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466955220.947715.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  137.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Oh dear rookie error... thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Up to you whether you want to attempt the rest of the questions - the rest of the numbers don't come out so nicely but I'm getting some answers for it now.

(Original post by кяя)
    Is this the last A level exam in general? From the people I know S2 is last. 27th June is damn late... Can't believe how quick college flew by. Seems like yesterday I was going to open days.
    S2 is pretty late, I think D2 and FP3 may be around the same time or later. (FP3 might clash with this, funnily enough).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I don't have the answers I'm afriad :lol: they may well not be fractions, it's the method that's most important anyway I'll have a look at the answers in a bit and quote you again.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just in case there's 3 functions.. in general, as you'd expect, there's only 1 x value, or one of the functions, such that F(X) = 0.75, so equating to any one of them won't work - you first have to work out which one it actually is, usually by trial and error (and testing the ranges of each function, to use C3 lingo).
    Oh alright I see, But also; I just looked at the mark scheme for the question I asked you about and it said this:
    M1: putting their line 2 or their line 3= 0.75

.... Would you get the same answer then? I'm a bit confused now . My apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    Nope. Other subjects left include Physic and other Maths modules such as AEA, M4, S4 (for AQA).

ReputationRep:
    A distribution X is used to model the length, in mm, of the first tear of a uPhone charger, and the PDF is specified below. However, Wapple have been careless and have lost some key details of the PDF.

kx(1-x) if  0 \leq x < 0.5

\frac{23}{40} - \frac{3x}{20} if    0.5 \leq x \leq b

0 otherwise.

a) Given that b is the minimum value greater than 0 such that f(b) = 0, find the value of b.

b) Hence find the value of k.

c) Find the expected length of the tear and the standard deviation.

d) Find the interquartile range of the length of tears.

e) Wapple send out an inspector to 5 random people who had asked for refunds. If the tear is longer than 1mm for at least 3 customers, all five will be refunded (ignoring systematic/human error). Find the probability, to 2 s.f, of Wapple giving a refund to a random group of 5 customers who have complained.
    a) b=23/6
    b)k=2
    c)1.39 and 0.867
    d)1.73
    e)0.686

correct?

ReputationRep:
    I hope it is not too much trouble, but please could someone explain how they think through some questions to help my understanding!

Name:  s2jan15ialq1.png
Views: 117
Size:  298.5 KB
    1b)

Attachment 556937556939
    2c)

and

Attachment 556937556939556900
    7d)

Thank you very much in advance!
    Attached Images

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JammyW15)
    Oh alright I see, But also; I just looked at the mark scheme for the question I asked you about and it said this:
    M1: putting their line 2 or their line 3= 0.75

.... Would you get the same answer then? I'm a bit confused now . My apologies
    You'd get a method mark for 'having the right idea'. (I haven't looked at the question properly so it could be that students either put the correct function on line 2 or line 3?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I was meant to self teach S2 today but i've lost the textbook .

ReputationRep:
    Feel like this exam is going to be a bit of a disaster lol
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by economicss)
    Thank you!
    a. b = 23/6

b. k = 2

c E(X) = 1.39. E(X^2) = 2.70. Var(X) = 0.77. Deviation = 0.88 (answers within that range, depending on rounding etc)

d. IQR question removed - takes too much time.

e. 0.69.

(Original post by LLk1)
    a) b=23/6
    b)k=2
    c)1.39 and 0.867
    d)1.73
    e)0.686

correct?

Well done the last bit should be 2 s.f but doesn't matter really. Just something to be wary of in the exam if they specify how many s.f you need.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know any proofs? I heard we need to know how to prove the variance of a uniform distribution... is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    You'd get a method mark for 'having the right idea'. (I haven't looked at the question properly so it could be that students either put the correct function on line 2 or line 3?
    I saw another question about finding the mean and equating F(m) = .5 and this is what the mark scheme says:

So doesn't that suggest either equation would get the same answer?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain 5(d)?

https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734...%20Edexcel.pdf
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JammyW15)
    I saw another question about finding the mean and equating F(m) = .5 and this is what the mark scheme says:

So doesn't that suggest either equation would get the same answer?
    Not necessarily - I think it's just a method mark (hence the M) for having the 'right method'. The cao means 'correct answer only' so that's where the two methods will be differentiated - the one where it has been applied to the right one will get you that A1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 16.50.07.png
Views: 92
Size:  279.8 KB

Sean explained the first part to before. I thought I understood it but still managed to get the last part of the question wrong.

I did 1 - (225)/(t+15)^2 = 0.1

Can someone explain to me why its wrong. If you can make the explanation really simple, even child like. It would be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand what they've done in june 14 (R) Q7d

https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Up to you whether you want to attempt the rest of the questions - the rest of the numbers don't come out so nicely but I'm getting some answers for it now.

S2 is pretty late, I think D2 and FP3 may be around the same time or later. (FP3 might clash with this, funnily enough).
    k=2 I got

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.