The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STEMisSuperior.
go back, i have already given links to prove this.

Considering you can't even write a sentence properly, I can see why you're desperately trying to big up STEM subjects.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Considering you can't even write a sentence properly, I can see why you're desperately trying to big up STEM subjects.

aww im sorry but my 2A*s in my english GCSEs says otherwise.

Its the internet, no one gives a damn about sentencing properly.
aww im sorry but my 2A*s in my english GCSEs says otherwise.

Its the internet, no one gives a damn about sentencing properly.

Did you bribe the examiner or did you get it from some dodgy website?

Tbh nobody gives a damn about your pathetic need to make non STEM students feel bad about themselves. Your ignorance is both hilarious and tragic. Take up knitting perhaps?
Original post by Maker
Do you have any examples of non stem people working in cancer research?

Maybe some cancer patients enjoy a bit of Shakespeare, or Van Gogh, or Adele... Maybe they even value the humanities as much as the science that might help them. Maybe it's the humanities that gives them something to live for, whilst acknowledging it's the science that enables it.

It seems very strange you want to guilt-trip non-STEM people and yet you (rightly) allow your daughter to follow her own path... odd.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TinyPhasma
Oh wow do you have a death wish or something? Seriously it would have been easier to type "I WANT TO BE TORN APART BY LANGUAGES/ARTS/SOCIAL SCIENCE STUDENTS PLEASE GET ANGRY AT ME FOR I NEED CONSTANT VALIDATION"

Lmao all the proof I need that STEM folks are easily the most pretentious people

Could not rep this enough.

He made an account just to make a thread so he could try and bring down his insecurity. Ironically it makes him look more insecure and pathetic because all he does is belittle.
Did you bribe the examiner or did you get it from some dodgy website?

Tbh nobody gives a damn about your pathetic need to make non STEM students feel bad about themselves. Your ignorance is both hilarious and tragic. Take up knitting perhaps?

Feel bad about themselves? Im sorry but sometimes the truth hurts. Get over yourself, non STEM students can go very far in life as long as they stop bitching about it and aiming high.
Feel bad about themselves? Im sorry but sometimes the truth hurts. Get over yourself, non STEM students can go very far in life as long as they stop bitching about it and aiming high.

Get your head out of the clouds and do your research. There are millionaires who have Arts degrees and so disprove your argument completely.

Perhaps if you stop bitching about it online and revise you'll get your university offer. Would be very ironic if you missed your offer and ended up working in a low paid job :wink:
LOOL ok.

We look at it generally, i can also list 100000s of questions such as ''Will non STEM prepare you for a career in engineering? exotic derivs trading? Statistician?" and so on. Your point is irrelevant since ive looked at it in generic terms.

Genericness is also arbitrary and subjective. The fact there are thousands of different possible questions is my point. Superiority only has meaning when a (necessarily subjective) purpose is specified. 'STEM is superior,' you say; so I say, 'superior for what purpose?'

That aside, you haven't even looked at what many would consider to be most important question of all - does STEM increase overall life happiness/satisfaction?

It's also worth considering the fact that STEM is a more or less arbitrary category. Why stick medicine and petroleum engineering under the same label? If it's because they are perceived to be superior according to some criteria, it shouldn't really be a surprise if they turn out to be superior according to that criteria!

Writing skills doesnt require a degree, it needs some intuition and reading skills, a degree isnt necessary.

We aren't talking about what's necessary, though. Most undergraduate degrees (yes, even in STEM - perhaps even more so in some fields) contribute precisely **** all to society. At best they just train you and get you a qualification so that you can secure a job or research post later on.

finally you have contradicted yourself massively - You argue with me because apparently im not being objective yet you suggest criteria that is wholly subjective. Irony eh?

That's not irony, and there is no contradiction. I'm not suggesting any criteria to be an objective definition of superiority; I'm pointing out criteria aside from those you have chosen for the precise reason of demonstrating subjectivity. I don't think you are employing your capacity for critical reasoning very carefully here.

Once again, you ignore the vast majority of my post. You were very quick to dismiss me as a 'butthurt non STEM person', but what is your experience in STEM and non-STEM?
Get your head out of the clouds and do your research. There are millionaires who have Arts degrees and so disprove your argument completely.

Perhaps if you stop bitching about it online and revise you'll get your university offer. Would be very ironic if you missed your offer and ended up working in a low paid job :wink:

I have not said, ''A random STEM student will always be better than a non STEM student''. On average, STEM students do earn more over a lifetime than non STEM student.

Oh please, i could meet my offer if i had my exams today.
Original post by Implication
Genericness is also arbitrary and subjective. The fact there are thousands of different possible questions is my point. Superiority only has meaning when a (necessarily subjective) purpose is specified. 'STEM is superior,' you say; so I say, 'superior for what purpose?'

That aside, you haven't even looked at what many would consider to be most important question of all - does STEM increase overall life happiness/satisfaction?

It's also worth considering the fact that STEM is a more or less arbitrary category. Why stick medicine and petroleum engineering under the same label? If it's because they are perceived to be superior according to some criteria, it shouldn't really be a surprise if they turn out to be superior according to that criteria!

We aren't talking about what's necessary, though. Most undergraduate degrees (yes, even in STEM - perhaps even more so in some fields) contribute precisely **** all to society. At best they just train you and get you a qualification so that you can secure a job or research post later on.

That's not irony, and there is no contradiction. I'm not suggesting any criteria to be an objective definition of superiority; I'm pointing out criteria aside from those you have chosen for the precise reason of demonstrating subjectivity. I don't think you are employing your capacity for critical reasoning very carefully here.

Once again, you ignore the vast majority of my post. You were very quick to dismiss me as a 'butthurt non STEM person', but what is your experience in STEM and non-STEM?

As i have repeatedly said, anything that can be objectively measured, i have considered. There isnt thousands that can be objectively measured. And you are yet to show one that can be objectively measured AND shows non STEM is better.
Could not rep this enough.

He made an account just to make a thread so he could try and bring down his insecurity. Ironically it makes him look more insecure and pathetic because all he does is belittle.

It's penis envy: the strength of the boast is inversely proportional to the size of his dick.

Lengthpenis  1boast\rm Length_{penis} \ \propto \ \frac{1}{|boast|}
Original post by Princepieman
http://www.emolument.com/career_advice/sciences_vs_humanities_students_salaries_who_earns_more

Granted the above is skewed by the type of users this site attracts (usually high tech, high finance, consulting, accounting, engineering etc type professionals), but it gives you an idea that for high paying jobs - the results are not what you are preaching.

In the real world I'm not surprised by that table.
As i have repeatedly said, anything that can be objectively measured, i have considered. There isnt thousands that can be objectively measured. And you are yet to show one that can be objectively measured AND shows non STEM is better.

That's not what I'm trying to demonstrate. For approximately the sixth time, I'm not saying non-STEM is superior to STEM; I'm saying that to compare them so is nonsensical.
That's not what I'm trying to demonstrate. For approximately the sixth time, I'm not saying non-STEM is superior to STEM; I'm saying that to compare them so is nonsensical.

no, why do you keep picking on my criteria then? Or is that because you've finally come to your senses?

From your flawed logic you can also argue that you cannot compare anything.
He's not interested in anything you or anyone else has to say other than for the troll factor.

I wouldn't say that that statement disproves his arguement entirely.

The millionaires that have art degree would probably become millionaires regardless of the degree they do.

I mean, there are billionaires that dropped out and have no degree at all. Does that mean that having no degree will give you a greater chance of becoming a billionare? Who knows.
Original post by uberteknik
He's not interested in anything you or anyone else has to say other than for the troll factor.

I agree that he's extraordinarily closed-minded and so isn't interested in what anyone has to say unless it appears to support his prejudiced worldview... but I don't think he's trolling!
I have not said, ''A random STEM student will always be better than a non STEM student''. On average, STEM students do earn more over a lifetime than non STEM student.

Oh please, i could meet my offer if i had my exams today.

Why does it bother you if non STEM students pick Arts? I don't know if its hit you yet but some people go into a subject because they love it and aren't as money orientated as you probs might be,

Oh wow you are so insecure of yourself. I'd laugh so much if you didn't meet your offer.
no, why do you keep picking on my criteria then?

It was a (seemingly futile) attempt to help you understand the subjective nature of your claim.

From your flawed logic you can also argue that you cannot compare anything.

Speaking of flawed logic... that does not follow at all! Can you explain how you made that inference?
Why does it bother you if non STEM students pick Arts? I don't know if its hit you yet but some people go into a subject because they love it and aren't as money orientated as you probs might be,

Oh wow you are so insecure of yourself. I'd laugh so much if you didn't meet your offer.

Its not bothering me. As i have said, its just the truth but at the end of the day, you follow what you're passionate at, something i cannot measure.

You seem so obsessed with trying to demean me by suggesting im insecure, please, you're just coming of as salty and a little jealous. What uni do you go to? Or what were your GCSE/ A level results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending