The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I don't know if Smith can win, but he at least has a chance - Jezza does not. Have you actually seen Corbyn's approval polls? They are truly abysmal. Smith might be boring and unoriginal, but he is not yet beyond hope.
    He's basically Ed Milliband, just with less Labour support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Only because he lacks the parliamentary support today, he's said he supports republicanism on Newsnight. Give Momentum a few years and that might change.

My life would be unchanged however that would be a needless change.
    Tbh, any theoretical Labour government under Corbyn wouldn't remove the monarchy, or leave NATO, or return the Falklands. His influence would just be increased public spending, that he could argue and rally support for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    He's basically Ed Milliband, just with less Labour support.
    If Smith is Ed then Corbyn is Foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I don't think either Smith or Corbyn can win in 2020. In a way, I see the best Labour doing is holding onto their seats or slightly increasing the total (highly unlikely). That would be bad for Labour though in that it may consolidate Corbyn or Smith as leader. In reality, Labour will lose the next GE and the Conservatives will form a majority Government on the back of disillusionment with Labour and UKIP members returning to the fold.
    Reading the Telegraph today it was interesting (and positive) to see that May will engage article 50 before consulting parliament so that should help somewhat.

Also amazing that after 19 years (by 2020) of no party getting 40% of the vote and in 2013 the Tories looking very rocky, we could well see them lead the charge back to historic normality.

Piece by piece its disappearing. Government underfunding means that we're now at the point where services are being closed, A+Es are shutting, the junior doctor contract will be altered, A+Es waiting times are rising and the government is delighted. Defund, claim it's broken then sell off. We'll see subsidies now I imagine for private firms, then the introduction of an insurance scheme. It's happening.
    I'd say that it's restructuring rather than underfunding, the Tories have fufilled their spending pledge but like in the last parliament (when the NHS did not fall apart) they have cut some areas and diverted the funding to others.

I highly doubt if it happens at all that May will be the one to do that, not that insurance for outpatient services is not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, any theoretical Labour government under Corbyn wouldn't remove the monarchy, or leave NATO, or return the Falklands. His influence would just be increased public spending, that he could argue and rally support for.
    With Momentum around and the Farage like cult developing, i wouldn't count on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Yet they continue to increase PFI and give out private contracts. It is still here of course but behind the scenes it is becoming increasingly given over to private contractors.

Recent reports show that the NHS is set for huge cuts and will not be able to be a 7 day NHS, as Hunt wants without serious investment.

As for the HoL, how about the proposals to reduce its power just because it blocked tax credit cuts.

Unions powers are being cut all the time, they are incredibly historical and cultural in nature.

And how about the proposed acdemisation of our historic and cultural education system?

How about the repeated cuts and threats to the BBC?

You are disingenuous Rakas and you're engaging in the 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy. Every time the Tories attack a historical and cultural institution, you claim it isn't one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Contracting is not privatisation and not all of it is bad (though i acknowledge that PFI is not the way to go).

I'll wait and see those Lords reforms.

Not really, unions were only a major player in government for about 50 years. Before and since, their impact has always been limited.

I'm not sure in what way education changes are really valid here given that education secretaries under most governments have been ten a penny with frequent change.

I'll acknowledge that the BBC is an institution and i do want rid (though the state should maintain a non-controlling share). I don't see much reason to keep the BBC given that media is a very competitive sector and if anything the government restricts its scope. A BBC freed from government would be ripe for global expansion and possibly M&A (or even the subject of).

That is not true in most cases although incidentally, i am a true scotsman.

(Original post by Bornblue)
    If it's a needless change that isn't going to affect you then why do you care?
    Also, you haven't responded to the tories attacks on the HoL, drawing up proposals to reduce its powers simply because they blocked tax credits.

Or the constant attacks and cuts to the BBC, another historic and cultural institution.
    Because as much as i'm not rigidly conservative one of the tenants of small 'c' conservatism that i do believe in is that though the role of conservatism is not to oppose positive change, change for change's sake should be avidly opposed. The monarchy being profitable and loved by the masses represents such a needless change.

ReputationRep:

I'll acknowledge that the BBC is an institution and i do want rid (though the state should maintain a non-controlling share). I don't see much reason to keep the BBC given that media is a very competitive sector and if anything the government restricts its scope. A BBC freed from government would be ripe for global expansion and possibly M&A (or even the subject of).

That is not true in most cases although incidentally, i am a true scotsman.

The BBC regularly outperforms its private rivals, producing a better service with higher levels of customer satisfaction. Why should we privatize it? If we have to cut a public service simply because it outperforms the private sector, doesn't that tell us something?

The only reason you want to privatize the BBC is because it counters your ideology. It's a public service which far outperforms its private sector rivals.
    You put ideology ahead of evidence. Sometimes, the state is simply better than the private sector.

That's why I dislike the neoliberal ideology you hold. It's like a religious cult, you put ideology and belief ahead of evidence. 'Feels before reals'.

ReputationRep:

Because as much as i'm not rigidly conservative one of the tenants of small 'c' conservatism that i do believe in is that though the role of conservatism is not to oppose positive change, change for change's sake should be avidly opposed. The monarchy being profitable and loved by the masses represents such a needless change.
    You're being inconsistent.
    When you want to change our 'historic and cultural institutions' that you don't like, you claim it's because we need 'positive change'. Yet when Corbyn does the same, you claim it's because he's a dangerous extremist.

ReputationRep:
    Just voted for Owen Smith.

ReputationRep:
    Reading the Telegraph today it was interesting (and positive) to see that May will engage article 50 before consulting parliament so that should help somewhat.

Also amazing that after 19 years (by 2020) of no party getting 40% of the vote and in 2013 the Tories looking very rocky, we could well see them lead the charge back to historic normality.

I'd say that it's restructuring rather than underfunding, the Tories have fufilled their spending pledge but like in the last parliament (when the NHS did not fall apart) they have cut some areas and diverted the funding to others.

I highly doubt if it happens at all that May will be the one to do that, not that insurance for outpatient services is not a good idea.
    And id be happy enough is they set out to say that they want to introduce such an insurance scheme, rather than funding the current service appropriately. The health service hasn't even received the funding yet, so it is underfunded. The big point is that the amount required (in excess probably of the 10bn) hasn't been provided, so they're letting the quality service down.

Moneys been wasted, promoting competition, increased locum pay, short term manager contracts.

Also, the one health policy that would lower costs was the obesity plan, which the government royally ****ed up. Wearing it down before the sell off.*

ReputationRep:
    Labour Disability Rights Activist, used in a lot of PR, including with Smith, has been suspended and will not be able to vote in the election.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have Amazon Fire or Chromecast. More specifically, can i just plug it into a HDMI port on the computer.

ReputationRep:

found this amusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

found this amusing
    I agree with her. I don't have a deep fat fryer or microwave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

found this amusing
    That is amusing. Gregg Wallace is a complete idiot though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with her. I don't have a deep fat fryer or microwave.
    A microwave is actually healthy you know... Almost everything you can fry you can microwave...
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    That is amusing. Gregg Wallace is a complete idiot though.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

How?
    He thinks he's one of the most well-respected and knowledgeable cooking personalities in the world but it fact he's just an overpaid, overrated greengrocer. Also, he hasn't treated his partners very well and he's quite violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    He thinks he's one of the most well-respected and knowledgeable cooking personalities in the world but it fact he's just an overpaid, overrated greengrocer. Also, he hasn't treated his partners very well and he's quite violent.
    Citations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Citations?
    I can't be bothered to find loads of links but here are a few:
    http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/201...rk-masterchef/
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/g...d-food-2259220
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...presenter.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...-the-blue.html

ReputationRep:
    Phillip Green took 400 million form the pension pot at BHS homes, causing 11, 000 job losses and 22 000 people to face huge pension cuts.

He's now offering to pay some back on the condition that the pensions committee drops it's investigation...
    I love how powerful businessmen can hold our elected politicians to ransom and get away with it.
    He should be behind bars, instead he has a knighthood and two yachts.

Yay neoliberalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.