The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real_jenn)
    whose ready for Monday?
    Meeee

ReputationRep:
    Year 10 but im going to college 2 years early. I know its abnormal lol
    (Original post by fish_and_chips)
    What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I don't go back till Wednesday Tuesday I have an induction 2-5

ReputationRep:
    have an induction Monday but i don't go back until Thursday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    I'll be \sqrt r00ting for you through your STEP process.
    Oh my I am sooo repping you for this 😂😂 when I'm off the app I'll do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't go back until Monday 12th

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name's Ira and I'm doing French, Econ, Physics, Further Math and Math. I'm not too sure about French because my teacher will have to come to my house to teach me as our school is not offering French A-levels and my parents are super uncomfortable about that.

My GCSE results were 8A*s and 2As!
    I'm aiming to be a software engineer/economist, and my favourite subjects are Math and Econ, and I love Physics dearly too.
    My hobbies are karate (yellow belt at the moment) and I am aiming to join a few clubs here and there to get my CV looking fresh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)
    I don't go back until Monday 12th

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay someone else who's going back on the 12th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
    Yay someone else who's going back on the 12th!
    Yeah! I have a meeting on Wednesday to discuss my timetable but I don't officially start until the 12th

ReputationRep:
    Extremely nervous for starting alevels as I don't want to fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mlb37)
    Yeah! I have a meeting on Wednesday to discuss my timetable but I don't officially start until the 12th
    Oh wow, how coincidental, I go in Wednesday for an Induction and to meet my teachers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zari7861)
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check before taking my advice, but I would pick a modern foreign language as you may be able to do a year abroad during your med degree (I'm not entirely sure but i did hear of someone doing that so it's worth looking into)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha22)
    Check before taking my advice, but I would pick a modern foreign language as you may be able to do a year abroad during your med degree (I'm not entirely sure but i did hear of someone doing that so it's worth looking into)
    This is true, some universities do offer you the experience to study abroad but you might need a MFL. Choose the language of a country you'd most like to go to, because that will probably benefit you the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this is the year 12 thread but when do the actual colleges start??? Do they start later than sixthforms or will they start on monday aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi.hopkins)
    have an induction Monday but i don't go back until Thursday!
    Lucky. I had my induction on friday and i start on monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    I know this is the year 12 thread but when do the actual colleges start??? Do they start later than sixthforms or will they start on monday aswell
    I'm starting college on Tuesday, the 6th, so I don't think colleges start later 😃 it depends on the school itself, tbh ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

- Introduce yourself
    I got 11A*s 1A for my GCSEs and I'm hoping for Dental School 2018

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    Don't have many hobbies, I want to join some clubs this year as I need to improve my CV. I'm interested in travelling :yep:
    - What subjects are you planning to take?
    Maths, Economics, Biology & Chemistry

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    Quite like the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxskaan)
    - Introduce yourself
    I got 11A*s 1A for my GCSEs and I'm hoping for Dental School 2018

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    Don't have many hobbies, I want to join some clubs this year as I need to improve my CV. I'm interested in travelling :yep:
    - What subjects are you planning to take?
    Maths, Economics, Biology & Chemistry

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    Quite like the sciences.
    Hey your doing the same alevels as me Which boards are they ? Also have you done any work on them ?

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hey your doing the same alevels as me Which boards are they ? Also have you done any work on them ?
    I think we've spoken about this on the previous year 11 thread :lol:
    I'm doing Edexcel for Maths, Economics and Biology and OCR A for Chemistry

I haven't done much work over the holidays but am prepared to buckle down from tomorrow onwards.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.