Declaring Grades on UCAS FAQ

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Sadly our 6th form aren't that thorough.
    Also a reference and often a friendly chat with the old Head of Year, but then we only took about 15 into the sixth form from outside each year, so we had the time. Lol!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to put the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics on to UCAS?
    I got an A^ (That's how it's shown on my results sheet) in it, but the UCAS tool doesn't even allow you to put the '^' symbol in the box. Should I put it under 'other' and write it as an 'A* with Distinction'?

The qualification description is here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...360/why-choose

ReputationRep:
    In year 9 I was forced to sit one of two Religious Studies GCSE modules and I achieved a B. I was then told that I would resit that module as well as sit the next module in year 11. For some reason the school got me a certificate in the Religious Studies Short Course, but then I did the full course in year 11 and have the full course certificate for Religious Studies too. I was wondering whether or not I have to put both grades down, or just the full course grade? Sorry if it seems as if I'm ignoring the "all grades" thing, but I'm unsure whether you'd have to declare both a short course and full course grade for a single subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esfio)
    In year 9 I was forced to sit one of two Religious Studies GCSE modules and I achieved a B. I was then told that I would resit that module as well as sit the next module in year 11. For some reason the school got me a certificate in the Religious Studies Short Course, but then I did the full course in year 11 and have the full course certificate for Religious Studies too. I was wondering whether or not I have to put both grades down, or just the full course grade? Sorry if it seems as if I'm ignoring the "all grades" thing, but I'm unsure whether you'd have to declare both a short course and full course grade for a single subject.
    Yes both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yes both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to declare individual A-level units you sat as a private candidate that weren't used in an overall award by the exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Do you have to declare individual A-level units you sat as a private candidate that weren't used in an overall award by the exam board?
    You are obliged to enter cashed in qualifications. You only need to supply individual unit UMS information if you are specifically asked for it.
    As I understand it, If you cashed in the same qualification a second time but the resits were not an improvement so you were awarded the same grade, then you would enter both dates for the overall qualification. If they were units taken at the same time as A2 that were not used to calculate the final A level grade then this would only be necessary if you also re-cashed the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You are obliged to enter cashed in qualifications. You only need to supply individual unit UMS information if you are specifically asked for it.
    As I understand it, If you cashed in the same qualification a second time but the resits were not an improvement so you were awarded the same grade, then you would enter both dates for the overall qualification. If they were units taken at the same time as A2 that were not used to calculate the final A level grade then this would only be necessary if you also re-cashed the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What does cashed in mean? I haven't been able to improve on my previous unit results yet except for one of my practical modules which I guess I'll declare. I did these unit resits outside of the normal two years if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    What does cashed in mean? I haven't been able to improve on my previous unit results yet except for one of my practical modules which I guess I'll declare. I did these unit resits outside of the normal two years if that helps?
    Cashing-in only refers to overall qualification, not units.
    You are cashed-in if you receive an overall grade for a qualification. If you re-sit and get a second overall grade then you have been cashed-in again then you have to declare both cashed-in grades.

ReputationRep:
    Cashing-in only refers to overall qualification, not units.
    You are cashed-in if you receive an overall grade for a qualification. If you re-sit and get a second overall grade then you have been cashed-in again then you have to declare both cashed-in grades.
    If the resit wasn't used in an overall award is it still counted as cashed-in?

ReputationRep:
    If the resit wasn't used in an overall award is it still counted as cashed-in?
    It depends. Every exam season when you get a results sheet with an overall award on it means you have been cashed-in. Generally the request for cash-in is made when the entries are made so whether you do better or worse in your re-sit attempt is irrelevant, the award will still have been cashed-in.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Every exam season when you get a results sheet with an overall award on it means you have been cashed-in. Generally the request for cash-in is made when the entries are made so whether you do better or worse in your re-sit attempt is irrelevant, the award will still have been cashed-in.
    How do I find out? My overall grade hasn't changed obviously because they only use unit results which have improved.

ReputationRep:
    How do I find out? My overall grade hasn't changed obviously because they only use unit results which have improved.
    When you got results for this Summer (or whenever you re-sat), did you have an overall grade on them? If so, you were cashed-in. Or just ask your centre.

ReputationRep:
    When you got results for this Summer (or whenever you re-sat), did you have an overall grade on them? If so, you were cashed-in. Or just ask your centre.
    It listed my old unit grades at the top and the overall grades and then below it just had a list of all the individual module resits that weren't used so I guess they had? I've emailed them to clarify now anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I took resits during year 13 alongside my A2 subjects. My head of year is saying I only need to enter in the new grades from my resits and not the old grades from year 12, I'm confused as to whether this is correct or not?

ReputationRep:
    For my ALEVEL Maths qualification

AS I did C1 C2 S1
    A2 C3 C4 S2

I also did M1 but i scored poorly on it, should I declare it ??

ReputationRep:
    So with the new linear exams, even if I am continuing the subject to full A Level, do I still need to declare the AS grade in those subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    So with the new linear exams, even if I am continuing the subject to full A Level, do I still need to declare the AS grade in those subjects?
    Yes. It's up to the universities to decide if the information is important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yes. It's up to the universities to decide if the information is important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have just given Maths and Further Maths AS level exams. I do not plan to certificate these, but continue them onto A-level. Therefore, how do I enter them onto UCAS? Do I enter them under A-level, with overall grade pending and then add the three module grades for each of them?
    jneill

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.