Maths Uni Chat Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
The reasoning is:
"The average head has 100,000 hairs on it. But more than 200,000 people live in Newcastle.
So, by the Pigeonhole Principle, this is true."
I said it was random..
Are you expected to know of these bizzarre off sylabuss facts before the question?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The reasoning is:
"The average head has 100,000 hairs on it. But more than 200,000 people live in Newcastle.
I said it was random..
Thats duff reasoning.

In a way its probably true as there would probably be atleast two people with no hair i.e. bald in Newcastle.
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The reasoning is:
I said it was random..
The mean doesn't really say much on its own, however if we take it to be normally distributed, then considering the variance and mean should give the result, I guess.

You cannot say the same thing for continuous measurements, though.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Slumpy)
glee
At the risk of sinking even lower in DeanK22's opinion, yay Glee! New episode tomorrow! My friend is always two episodes ahead of me though, 'cause she's too keen and downloads from America. Don't you think it's weird that the actor who plays Finn is 28 years old? I think Sue Sylvester is easily the best thing about that program :love:

Edit: regarding the Pigeonhole Principle, that's been copied straight from lecture notes. It's to do with counting and allocation, it never mentions mean or variance.
Edit2: Oh I see where the lecturer got this from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeonh...#Hair_counting
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
These followill bro's pack some serious heel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK_8...eature=channel

first few seconds.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At the risk of sinking even lower in DeanK22's opinion, yay Glee! New episode tomorrow! My friend is always two episodes ahead of me though, 'cause she's too keen and downloads from America. Don't you think it's weird that the actor who plays Finn is 28 years old? I think Sue Sylvester is easily the best thing about that program :love:
Woop woop! I was contemplating watching it earlier, until I remembered it was Thursday...
Yeah, I have a friend who has a tv(at a different uni though, so I can't steal) who's always like, 4 days ahead.
Holy moly, I had no idea. I assumed he was early 20s at the oldest:O
Yeah, she probably is!
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Are you expected to know of these bizzarre off sylabuss facts before the question?
It would spice up the paper somewhat. But sadly no, these facts are given to you. They don't even expect you to know poker hands (after someone last year complained that the Maths department was encouraging gambling :rolleyes: )
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OMG. She is totally got the bestest skin eva 4 a thirty yr old. My buddy in America (she is such a slut) hooked up with one of the extra's so he could get the editor's episodes and she has watched EVERY episode. Ohh so jealous but she is such a skank.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They don't even expect you to know poker hands (after someone last year complained that the Maths department was encouraging gambling :rolleyes: )
You didn't chose your degree on the basis of gambling?
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Edit: regarding the Pigeonhole Principle, that's been copied straight from lecture notes. It's to do with counting and allocation, it never mentions mean or variance.
Edit2: Oh I see where the lecturer got this from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeonh...#Hair_counting
That is some truly terrible reasoning, and hence why I suggested more than the mean was required to make such a statement. It is by no means reasonable to assume anything about the range of a variable from its mean, so whilst it may be true that nobody in London has more than 1000,000 hairs on their head, it is certainly not reasonable to assume that simply from the mean.

Ridiculous.

EDIT: Why don't you all watch some truly excellent television: Breaking Bad or Dexter.... Glee makes baby Moses sad.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Holy moly, I had no idea. I assumed he was early 20s at the oldest:O
Kinda weird to fancy him now, I can't do it.
I know loads of random Glee facts (this friend is OBSESSED) like, did you know that the actor who plays Jesse St James (Rachel's new boyfriend from Vocal Adrenaline) used to co-star with the actress who plays Rachel in Spring Awakening? And-- oh wait.
OMG. She is totally got the bestest skin eva 4 a thirty yr old. My buddy in America (she is such a slut) hooked up with one of the extra's so he could get the editor's episodes and she has watched EVERY episode. Ohh so jealous but she is such a skank.
I think you're taking the piss -.-
You didn't chose your degree on the basis of gambling?
Analysis is so helpful on roulette tables.
But srsly no, I suck at (strip) poker. I always lose. I chose my degree because I actually thought I was good at this subject, ahahahahahaha. MISGUIDED.
(Original post by v-zero)
Ridiculous.
TRY TAKING AN EXAM IN IT
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The mean doesn't really say much on its own, however if we take it to be normally distributed, then considering the variance and mean should give the result, I guess.

You cannot say the same thing for continuous measurements, though.
Works fine if you take "the average head has 100,000 hairs" to mean "the median number of hairs is 100,000"- this means half of the population of Newcastle (i.e. at least 100,000) have less than 100,000, so just use pigeonhole. No variance required.

In fact I think it's true even if all you're given is mean=100,000, but I can't be bothered to prove it.
Slumpy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Kinda weird to fancy him now, I can't do it.
I know loads of random Glee facts (this friend is OBSESSED) like, did you know that the actor who plays Jesse St James (Rachel's new boyfriend from Vocal Adrenaline) used to co-star with the actress who plays Rachel in Spring Awakening? And-- oh wait.

But srsly no, I suck at (strip) poker. I always lose. I chose my degree because I actually thought I was good at this subject, ahahahahahaha. MISGUIDED.
Yeah, that is a bit odd.
I've no idea what Spring awakening is, but cool:p:

I'm fantastic at strip 21. Claim different numbers to what you've got, people don't check
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majikthise)
Works fine if you take "the average head has 100,000 hairs" to mean the median number of hairs is 100,000. No variance required.

In fact I think it's true even if all you're given is mean=100,000, but I can't be bothered to prove it.
I believe it's demonstrably untrue in both cases to be honest.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe it's demonstrably untrue in both cases to be honest.
I disagree. Give a counterexample.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fine, for the median it is true, I was having a slow moment. :rolleyes:
Slumpy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mean:
1 person with 0 hairs, 1, up to 99,999, then 1 with 100,001-200,000.
Mean is 100,000, no two people have the same number, and there are 200,000 people.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you're taking the piss -.-
Clarification; it's a beautiful thing.

But srsly no, I suck at (strip) poker. I always lose.
Don't get me wrong, I'm overcome by joy. But trust me, moderation is the key. And wearing lots of clothes.

I chose my degree because I actually thought I was good at this subject, ahahahahahaha.
Are you sure? I find that there are some things that can help. Their even ebtter than drugs but they take up alot of time.

Analysis is so helpful on roulette tables.
I'm sorry to hear that you don't do sarcasm - too shy, your delivery was all off.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Works fine if you take "the average head has 100,000 hairs" to mean "the median number of hairs is 100,000"- this means half of the population of Newcastle (i.e. at least 100,000) have less than 100,000, so just use pigeonhole. No variance required.

Yeah, you're right, the threshold is 200,000.
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mean:
1 person with 0 hairs, 1, up to 99,999, then 1 with 100,001-200,000.
Mean is 100,000, no two people have the same number, and there are 200,000 people.
I meant for more than 200,000 people- clearly what you've posted is some kind of threshold result.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads