ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Well this was a little unjustified...
    Is it?

Spoiler:
    Show

Any chance of us signing even one player?
    I have heard this too but my suspicion is that we'll again be making signings either close to or after the season has started and so again we will be starting at a disadvantage. Mowbray himself has forewarned that we are in for a bumpy start and he isn't wrong, I think Wigan could be a humiliation.
    would prefer we don't end up with an OAPs XI.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still not signing anyone and no word of one either, pull your finger out Tony...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mowbray will be relying on loans and freebies
    We'll never finish in the top half...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The biggest endorsement of franchising in the UK, a total disgrace. The people of Coventry backing Wasps more than their own bloody team.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    That isn't a problem. The problem is that the team hasn't done anything for decades.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fans' loyalty can only go so far and when you achieve nothing year on year over a period of decades then it will only have one result.
    Most of our time in the top flight was spent in the bottom half and with the isolated example of the FA Cup success fans had little to cheer about, and our time in the FL has been even worse.
    I support the worst club, that can hardly be a surprise. If we're challenging at the right end of the table next season then obviously I will be perked up. Most City fans are the same in this respect.

(Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Permanent or loan? iirc he was a Chelsea kid.

Don't see Brentford launching a promotion charge this season, but can see you becoming a solid championship team.
    Permanent. And I think we'll be top six again. We've strengthened the team with some excellent signings. Bjelland, the Danish international and a bunch of really highly rated players from various European teams. In recent weeks we've gone from the bookies 8th pick for promotion to 4th. It seems a little odd for people to be making statements about our promotion chances really though, because I can't imagine many people have heard of Kerschbaumer, Gogia, Bjelland or Barbet, our main signings apart from McEachran. Admittedly I don't know much about them either but I'd rather these well researched, relatively cheap signings, than the usual Championship method of swapping tired old hands well known to British lower league fans. All I can say is that I have faith that these signings won't have weakened the team and we haven't lost anyone we needed to keep (yet), so we'll do at least as well as last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    x
    Any chance of us signing even one player?

We hadn't signed anyone up until July, a legitimate cause for concern no?

I have heard this too but my suspicion is that we'll again be making signings either close to or after the season has started and so again we will be starting at a disadvantage. Mowbray himself has forewarned that we are in for a bumpy start and he isn't wrong, I think Wigan could be a humiliation.

The manager is the one warning of a bumpy ride for the very reason that we'll be making most of our signings once the season has already begun.

would prefer we don't end up with an OAPs XI.

Tongue in cheek comment.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Still not signing anyone and no word of one either, pull your finger out Tony...
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Again there was no whiff of a signing throughout June when other clubs were busy, not unreasonable to be a bit impatient.

Mowbray will be relying on loans and freebies

This is a fact confirmed by the man himself.

We'll never finish in the top half...
    Posted from TSR Mobile

History shows this probably won't be wrong in the foreseeable.

The biggest endorsement of franchising in the UK, a total disgrace. The people of Coventry backing Wasps more than their own bloody team.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point we should be glad Wasps have the Ricoh.

That isn't a problem. The problem is that the team hasn't done anything for decades.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Again this is a fact.

Fans' loyalty can only go so far and when you achieve nothing year on year over a period of decades then it will only have one result.
    Most of our time in the top flight was spent in the bottom half and with the isolated example of the FA Cup success fans had little to cheer about, and our time in the FL has been even worse.

Also a fact.

I support the worst club, that can hardly be a surprise. If we're challenging at the right end of the table next season then obviously I will be perked up. Most City fans are the same in this respect.

Another fact and I stand by what I said, if we have a good season you won't see anyone complaining about it.

ReputationRep:
    Another half ten news flash at Hillsborough.

We've signed Marco Matias for 2 million+ (wiki record has been messed with but he got 17 goals last season from the wing). Our largest fee for over 15 years!! Apparently beating off interest from the likes of Malaga. I'm scared to see this much money being spent all at once, such a drastic change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Another half ten news flash at Hillsborough.

We've signed Marco Matias for 2 million+ (wiki record has been messed with but he got 17 goals last season from the wing). Our largest fee for over 15 years!! Apparently beating off interest from the likes of Malaga. I'm scared to see this much money being spent all at once, such a drastic change.
    How do you think I feel as a Derby fan?!

After years of treading water under Clough, we've currently spent 5 million on Ince, 2 on Weimann and, apparently, we're soon to splash another 5 on Shackell and Bridcutt!

I've seen that you guys have apparently bid for Daryl Murphy as well. That would be a very decent signing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Daryl Murphy goes for half a million less than RVP. Christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    How do you think I feel as a Derby fan?!

After years of treading water under Clough, we've currently spent 5 million on Ince, 2 on Weimann and, apparently, we're soon to splash another 5 on Shackell and Bridcutt!

I've seen that you guys have apparently bid for Daryl Murphy as well. That would be a very decent signing.
    I don't know how to react to it all we've been linked with literally anybody who is half decent and would be open to a transfer. I'm hoping that the 4.5 million bid for Murphy from us is a rumour.

We've just signed Lewis Price today as backup to Westwood which is good news. We've apparently signed Alex Lopez on loan from Celta Vigo as well. Now he looks a good signing!

ReputationRep:
    New Leeds kit. After a second look, I'm unsure about it. Will need to see what it looks like irl.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    New Leeds kit. After a second look, I'm unsure about it. Will need to see what it looks like irl.

Half of them look like Jack Grealish.

Josh McEachran finally confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    Jason Shackell has played every game for Burnley over the past two years... before tonight. Not part of a friendly due to a "calf strain", despite being photographed today taking part in full training.

Very suspicious if you ask me. I think his move to Derby could be close.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tom Adeyemi has joined Leeds from Cardiff.

Very good signing, that.

ReputationRep:
    Loan with a view to permanent, as I understand it. With the fee for permanent reportedly around £1mil. We have a nice little team coming together here
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cardiff City told only £2.5m offer will tempt Derby County to sell Johnny Russell.

ReputationRep:
    Russell is a bargain at that price.

Pre season or not, we beat Dagenham and Redbridge 2-1. Sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff City told only £2.5m offer will tempt Derby County to sell Johnny Russell.
    Not sure where that's from but it's rubbish. Paul Clement has explicitly stated that he's not for sale and is firmly in his plans.

Having said that, I'd take 2.5m for him. Massively overhyped by our fans because he's a hardworker and scored THAT goal against Forest. Besides the odd wonder goal, he's one of the worst finishers I've seen in ages. Doesn't affect the game enough to warrant a starting place over Ince or Weimann for me either.

ReputationRep:
    Off to the first pre-season game this saturday, looking very forward to it

EDIT: As it'll be my only game of the season following the scandalous price hike for matchday tickets (Linky link). £39 for cheapest ticket on the opening day of the season versus Bristol City. If they don't do a u-turn i'll be doing a bit of a one man boycott for the upcoming season.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sheffield Wednesday charging fans up to £52 (yes, FIFTY TWO) for second-tier football next season.

Farce.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield Wednesday charging fans up to £52 (yes, FIFTY TWO) for second-tier football next season.

Farce.
    Scandalous isn't it? Word has it the Leeds and Rotherham 'derby' matches (if you can even call them derby games) are in that category. I'm livid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.