Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    I think women's tennis in some ways is more unpredictable than men's tennis. There's been nothing like a big 4 in the women's game and even with Serena's dominance this is the first season in a long time that she hasn't been upset in an early round of a slam, how many times has that happened to Djokovic in the last few years that he's been dominating and the other members of the big 4 aren't far behind. The 5 sets definitely increases the likelihood that men's games will be more dramatic but not in every case, just compare the 2014 finals at RG... I personally enjoy both the women's and men's tours because they're both entertaining in their own ways
    I agree with you. Women's tennis is actually not that predictable, despite Serena currently holding all the GS.

In regards to the length. I just find the 5 sets boring and prolonged for no reason. A match can go 5 sets and be the worst match ever. I'm up for everyone playing 3 sets in the first week and then 5 sets in the second week.
    Apart from Wawrinka vs Gasquet and Federer's match yesterday I've enjoyed watching the women play a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So that makes it 21 for Serena.

If Roger wins tomorrow then we'll have two 33 year old champions this year! I hope he does it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skkc16)
    I agree with you. Women's tennis is actually not that predictable, despite Serena currently holding all the GS.

In regards to the length. I just find the 5 sets boring and prolonged for no reason. A match can go 5 sets and be the worst match ever. I'm up for everyone playing 3 sets in the first week and then 5 sets in the second week.
    Apart from Wawrinka vs Gasquet and Federer's match yesterday I've enjoyed watching the women play a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah even though Federer beat Murray in very comprehensive straight sets because of the quality of the match it wasn't a let down. It's the quality of matches that matters to me not the number of sets played

ReputationRep:
    Well, Wilander just said Federer is the favourite.

There goes Federer's chances of winning.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to Serena - just cannot be stopped at the moment, and will probably reach the pinnacle of tennis in New York by completing the Calendar Year Grand Slam!

As for tomorrow: Djokovic is the favourite. Would be a pleasant surprise if Federer won, but don't want to get my hopes up too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Congrats to Serena - just cannot be stopped at the moment, and will probably reach the pinnacle of tennis in New York by completing the Calendar Year Grand Slam!

As for tomorrow: Djokovic is the favourite. Would be a pleasant surprise if Federer won, but don't want to get my hopes up too much
    Nah fed is the favourite in my books. He played flawless tennis in his last match. Djokovic also played well, but not at the level that fed is currently on. Fed in 4. However, I'm a Djokovic fan, so I really hope I am wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic played his best match on grass imo last year to beat Federer. I hope he doesn't decide to do that again tomorrow. I heard that it might be raining tomorrow which means advantage Federer.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind who wins tomorrow both great champions, maybe edging closer to federer.

Serena had an early scare but I knew she'd recover. She always does and deservedly holds the title. Women's tennis has a long long way to go, it's predicactable. Sharapova seen as a great champion swept away so easy

ReputationRep:
    If Federer plays like he did against Murray then I think he wins but I don't know if he can sustain that level again.

Also, I'm sure this has already been mentioned here but Roddick is one of the best things to ever happen to sports broadcasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    If Federer plays like he did against Murray then I think he wins but I don't know if he can sustain that level again.

Also, I'm sure this has already been mentioned here but Roddick is one of the best things to ever happen to sports broadcasting.
    Andy roddick is a boss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please can no-one win today? I dislike both Federer and Djokovic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd give Federer a 70 percent chance of winning this. He is playing better than last year and even in 2012 in my eyes. A lot of people are saying that this will be a classic but I don't see it that way -- if Federer plays like he did on Friday I don't think that this match will last long.

I'm not ashamed to say that I will be gutted if he loses. This is a big match: the head-to-head is 20-19, 1-1 on grass, 1-1 in major finals.

Edit: Noticed how Federer has started to swagger like a boss again? Big sign of confidence. There is usually only one outcome at times like these except when a certain Spaniard is on the other end of the court...

ReputationRep:
    Hope both men play their best, wish there was some way they could both win but there'll have to be one winner. I think Federer is the favourite but he was the favourite last year too so it's anyone's game. May the best man win

ReputationRep:
    The best man is the djokovic

ReputationRep:
    He needs to be more judicious in his net approaches though -- hope I don't spend the day watching him get passed by Novak.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so good being a neutral today. Hope this is a great match and not a blowout either way.

ReputationRep:
    There goes the break advantage. It was the bizarre volley at the start of the game that cost him. Those are the margins.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I thought Federer had that set all sewn up but Djokovic just wouldn't go away, still anyone's game

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Fed peaked too early - Djokovic somehow hangs in there and takes the set. Really good so far, but could get even better.

A rain delay might just help out Federer here (if it comes)

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is just so solid off the ground it's unreal; Federer just can't cut through him. As in last year, he has peaked exactly at the right time in this tournament. Unlike Federer, who seems to have reserved his best stuff for Andy Murray and Gilles Simon... shame.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.