Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plumpOlhenry)
    Oh my days. Theres hella enzymes to learn you know
    Brah, don't even

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon we need to know the pathway to make Golden Rice?

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to work out what do I need tomorrow to get a C overall. I got 200 UMS last year so basically I only need 160 UMS at A2. I got 34/40 in controlled assessment which should be a B, so 42/60 UMS at least. I think I did okay in the F214 paper so hopefully a C so 54/90 UMS. I need 64 out of 150 UMS tomorrow to get 360/600.
    Am I thinking too positive or did I do the calculation wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Crafter)
    Must we need to know the experimental work done into the effects of gibberellins on stem elongation (pg.225 in the Heinemann txt bk.) in detail? Because I just can't get it into my head at the moment.
    Here is what I have learnt (quoted from my notes):
    Gibberellins are plant hormones
    They are synthesised throughout the stem and causes the cells to elongate...
    Plant height is regulated by genes
    Dominant allele = tall plant
    recessive allele = short plant
    dominant gene codes for an enzyme that catalyses the synthesis of activated gibberellins
    Homozygous recesive plants can only produce inactive gibberellins, so the plant is short
    If applied to dwarf plants activated gibberellins can normalise their size
    Dwarfing can also be induced by treating plants with substances that prevent them forming activated gibberellins
    Mechanism of gibberellin action...
    1) activated gibberellin affects gene expression
    2) it binds to receptors on the plasma membrane
    3) this sets off a a cascade of reactions which lead to the breakdown of DELLA proteins
    4) these DELLA proteins usually inhibit transcription factors, so when they are broken down the transcription factors are released and transcription of the gene can begin
    5) this leads to stem elongation

Gibberellins
    Increases yield of sugar from sugar cane - the sucrose is produced in the stem, the longer the stem the more sugar is stored
    Gibberellins also stimulate seed germination
    used in the brewing industry where they are sprayed in barley
    the germinating grains produce enzymes that convert starch to maltose
    yeast + maltose = alcohol

I think that is everything on Gibberellins!

ReputationRep:
    I got 240 Ums last year. what do I need this year for an A/b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    What's the state of my future?
    Haha that I'm afraid is beyond my scope of knowledge

ReputationRep:
    This isn't maths where you need to be sharp to understand the questions, it's mostly fact recall. Even if you remember 30% of what you looked over in the extra hour before bed, that benefits you more than nothing imo
    aahh ok- I just feel so tired and drained

ReputationRep:
    This isn't maths where you need to be sharp to understand the questions, it's mostly fact recall. Even if you remember 30% of what you looked over in the extra hour before bed, that benefits you more than nothing imo
    True but a very small percentage of the paper is on recall. Most will be applied especially this year's paper judging by how f214 was.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing an allnighter?
    Thought I was ready, got 70/100 on a past paper, obviously not ready :/ xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baymax96)
    aahh ok- I just feel so tired and drained
    Well it depends on how are you I guess. I'm the kind of bloke who, even if they get like4 hours sleep, will be able to be awake once properly woken up and is ok in the morning but it hits me in the afternoon/evening, I know some people who can barely function without 8 hours sleep minimum though and feel shattered in the morn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klesia)
    Ive scraped in A in every paper ive done and then the one I did earlier today I got a low C in which has destroyed my confidence not an all niger but late, for sure. 3am probs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klesia)
    Might stay up till 2.

Isn't that an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baymax96)
    I got 240 Ums last year. what do I need this year for an A/b
    240 UMS for an A, 180 for a B.
    So if you want an A overall, you need to get an A. If you want a B overall, you need to get a C overall.

I got the same UMS as you next year and I need an A for medicine so hopefully we both get As.

ReputationRep:
    Ive scraped in A in every paper ive done and then the one I did earlier today I got a low C in which has destroyed my confidence not an all niger but late, for sure. 3am probs
    I'm exactly the same. I'm just hoping it comes together in the exam and the paper is easier than F214.

ReputationRep:
    At least u all were able to revise all day, I have a 1 year old son who's teething and took an hour to put to bed b4 I could do some proper revision.

I haven't even done a past paper yet.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUY_-LK_lOc peak of revision

ReputationRep:
    id rather go to sleep than pull an all nighter
    end up panicking more and totally dead for the exam tmrw with no sleep

ReputationRep:
    Guys, don't even. I haven't looked at F215 for roughly 2 months and I know NOTHING. I've got 287 UMS from last year though and 39/40 raw marks on the PSA. Revised for F324 though and think I may have at least 80/90 UMS on that so I should be good for an A.

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE NEEDS SLEEP-don't do alnighters, do another hour, have a bath, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_2_be)
    At least u all were able to revise all day, I have a 1 year old son who's teething and took an hour to put to bed b4 I could do some proper revision.

I haven't even done a past paper yet.
    Me neither.
    I have done questions, but not entire papers.
    Luckily, this isn't chemistry.
    I don't think past papers matter as much as the content...
    I just think of it as testing if I know something - so, once I think I know the topic, I try the questions on that topic (thebiotutor.com splits the past papers into the modules) and then I move on.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.