The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123chem
my prediction will be A*,A*, A/A*. My UKCAT is 750. But my GCSE's arent great; 4 A*, 5A, 1 B. Applying for dentistry. Which unis are best to go for?

Who told you those GCSE grades aren't "great"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Suri2017
Hi guys, please can someone help: I have UKAT average of 653 sjt band 1.

1A* and 6A's and 2 b's . My AS levels were not brilliant, B in economics and C's in biology and chemistry and maths. but I'm determined to do well at A levels. Is there any university options or is it a lost cause to try and apply this year?. If there's any chance of getting in please can give me some suggestions for uni's. I would really realy appreciate any feedback.
I should say I want to do medicine.

Take a year out. Focus on turning your grades around in year 13 and then apply with the grades already achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MsFissy
i really don't understand whether people are being sarcastic or not when they say "i got like 5 A*/A's..., i know they're really bad". As long as you've got the requirements i'm pretty sure you're good.

They ask because they are aware the average for medicine is around 5/6A* grades. Its very normal for people to doubt their abilities, especially in a field saturated with outstanding applicants, it can be incredibly overwhelming.
Also a fair few medical schools have very high GCSE requirements and often applicants look at past med school threads on here and see the standard of the applicants getting in and begin to doubt themselves... I was one of those people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sciencelover99
I sat my UKCAT and got:
VR: 600 (didn't go too well)
AR:680
QR:790
STJ Band 2
So my overall average is 690

I have 11 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS and am predicted 3A*s at A level. I was thinking of applying to Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Oxford but am concerned about Manchester and Birmingham because my UKCAT score is a little low. Any advice?

I have similar stats to you:
GCSEs:9a*s 2as
As level: 3as Chem bio maths
Predictions: 3a*s
Ukcat: 690 avg band 2
VR:540 (yeah lol...)
QR:740
AR:790
I was worried about my ukcat being too low as I'm applying Birmingham, Manchester, kings & Nottingham but our GCSEs will balance it out esp with bham as they are 70% academic so don't worry!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medic99
I have similar stats to you:
GCSEs:9a*s 2as
As level: 3as Chem bio maths
Predictions: 3a*s
Ukcat: 690 avg band 2
VR:540 (yeah lol...)
QR:740
AR:790
I was worried about my ukcat being too low as I'm applying Birmingham, Manchester, kings & Nottingham but our GCSEs will balance it out esp with bham as they are 30% academic so don't worry!

Birmingham have a points system to see if you're worthy of interview. The maximum overall UKCAT score (2700) is taken and split up into 5 equal portions of 540.

Each portion is one point, so any score from 0-540 is one point, 541-1080 is two points, 1081-1620 is three points, 1621-2160 is four points and any higher is five points.

The points you've gained from your UKCAT will be added to your 'global' score of your whole application, and the highest scores are those who get interviews. So even if you don't do too well in your UKCAT, as long as it's not horrible, and your other sections check out, you'll be fine.

This was explained to me by the admissions tutor, and he said that it was because Birmingham had only recently started using it. They don't take your Band for SJ into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another wannabe medic here!:biggrin:

GCSE: 6A* (English x2, French, German, Biology, Chemistry)
7A (Maths x2, Physics, History, Drama, Dance, Music)
A2 predictions: AAA (but could probably be pushed to A*AA)

UKCAT: VR - 670
QR - 800
AR - 640
(2110 total and 703 average)
SJT - Band 2
Unsure where to apply - I feel like my UKCAT is better than average, but not quite good enough for the really UKCAT heavy unis:s-smilie:
Original post by GetOverHere
Birmingham have a points system to see if you're worthy of interview. The maximum overall UKCAT score (2700) is taken and split up into 5 equal portions of 540.

Each portion is one point, so any score from 0-540 is one point, 541-1080 is two points, 1081-1620 is three points, 1621-2160 is four points and any higher is five points.

The points you've gained from your UKCAT will be added to your 'global' score of your whole application, and the highest scores are those who get interviews. So even if you don't do too well in your UKCAT, as long as it's not horrible, and your other sections check out, you'll be fine.

This was explained to me by the admissions tutor, and he said that it was because Birmingham had only recently started using it. They don't take your Band for SJ into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So a scores of 540 and 720 are of equal worth!? That can't be right?
1621/3=540 and 2160/3=720
Surely they need a way to distinguish betweenn applicants with such contrasting scores?
Original post by emelinaw
Another wannabe medic here!:biggrin:

GCSE: 6A* (English x2, French, German, Biology, Chemistry)
7A (Maths x2, Physics, History, Drama, Dance, Music)
A2 predictions: AAA (but could probably be pushed to A*AA)

UKCAT: VR - 670
QR - 800
AR - 640
(2110 total and 703 average)
SJT - Band 2
Unsure where to apply - I feel like my UKCAT is better than average, but not quite good enough for the really UKCAT heavy unis:s-smilie:

Yes your ukcat is definitely above average and you are good enough for ukcat heavy unis as you have sufficient GCSEs to balance it out.
Southampton is v ukcat heavy so avoid that but kings is ukcat heavy but takes into account GCSEs, PS and most importantly predicted A2.
Look at Newcastle and Manchester.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by MsFissy
I'm aware that a lot of uni's want like 7 A's minimum at GCSE but seriously there are people on here with 9 A*'s saying " i haven't got great GCSE's"

Some unis don't look at them at all. At GCSEs I got 2 As and a levels were shite so I did a degree first. I have all the requirements now for my choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
My test tomorrow. any tips please on QR, I cant ever seem to get more than 10Qs right.*

Really struggling. Im not thinking that I'm going to get a score to get in this year, but I don't want the score to be so low. As that won't help me for next time!
Original post by xJessScott
Thank you that's great :smile: I'll be a graduate but applying mostly for normal 5 year course
Newcastle
Queen Mary
Warwick
Newcastle (4 years)
Just hope I do good in the ukcat as Newcastle is fairly ukcat heavy as I would love to go there and I live near and me and boyfriend have a house so would be awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,*

Hope you don't mind me asking, why are you a graduate but applying mostly to 5yr courses?

Thanks*
Original post by 123ash
Hello,*

Hope you don't mind me asking, why are you a graduate but applying mostly to 5yr courses?

Thanks*

thats fine :smile: erm well i really really want to go to newcastle so applying for both 4 and 5, i think i have more of a chance getting onto the 5 year courses obviously depends on my ukcat score but then they usually look more at gcses and a levels etc which mine are rubbish. plus theres more places for 5 year course so more of a chance
thats fine :smile: erm well i really really want to go to newcastle so applying for both 4 and 5, i think i have more of a chance getting onto the 5 year courses obviously depends on my ukcat score but then they usually look more at gcses and a levels etc which mine are rubbish. plus theres more places for 5 year course so more of a chance

But as grad students there is not much funding help at all. Good luck :-)
Original post by 123ash
But as grad students there is not much funding help at all. Good luck :-)

true but i would rather get onto the course with minimal funding then not get on at all aha ill see what my ukcat is like first
is it worth applying for medicine for a Ukcat average of 590? I did it today and it went horribly wrong for some reason.... practiced sooo much but don't know what happened

GCSE's: 5 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs
AS levels: As in biology and chemistry, B in ICT (maybe I'll get that remarked and push it to an A) and a C in maths which I'm retaking all the exams for this year
true but i would rather get onto the course with minimal funding then not get on at all aha ill see what my ukcat is like first

Please don't mind me asking. I ASKED BECAUSE MY UKCAT IS TOMORROW AND FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS I HAVE NOT IMPROVED. My score is not even good for the required 5yr UG courses. I myself just want to get in, so have been thinking of asking family and friends for help financially. But It's just too much. But if I could get the help, I would def be looking into it too.

But yes, It is all down to the UKCAT score, and hopefully you'll excel and get a hit score.

Good luck. When is your test?*
Original post by &Hope
is it worth applying for medicine for a Ukcat average of 590? I did it today and it went horribly wrong for some reason.... practiced sooo much but don't know what happened

GCSE's: 5 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs
AS levels: As in biology and chemistry, B in ICT (maybe I'll get that remarked and push it to an A) and a C in maths which I'm retaking all the exams for this year

I'm so sorry to hear your test did not go well. I'm sorry I cant comment on the UG scores required. But you never know it may be a good score :-)

I think you might be eligible for tuition fee funding from SFE because you would have had them covered by the NHS for your Nursing, wouldn't you? So technically as you haven't borrowed any tuition fee funding from SFE before I think you might get more than most in your circumstances? :-) **
Original post by 123ash
I'm so sorry to hear your test did not go well. I'm sorry I cant comment on the UG scores required. But you never know it may be a good score :-)

what universities usually have the lowest ukcat entry requirements?
Original post by &Hope
what universities usually have the lowest ukcat entry requirements?

I'm not sure when it comes to the UG courses. I'm a grad so only looked into those Uni's. Sorry not much help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending