Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, today's exam was random.

Of ALL the questions they could have possibly asked us given one of our 'seen pbl cases' had a woman diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome secondary to SLE (with possible Sjögren's involvement), they decide to ask the most random questions. One literally went along the lines: "...blah blah suffered from alopecia which was worsened during pregnancy. Draw a labelled hair follicle (4marks)". :dry:

My 'drawing' was atrocious. :/ I don't think anyone saw that one coming. :p:

We had more random questions: one asked us to define 'axilla'. :/ Er, it's your bloody armpit, who cares? :p:

Ahh, these examiners will enjoy reading some of my answers.

Ah well, EMQ and SBA paper tomorrow morning. Must get back to last minute cramming.
    :work:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Ah well, EMQ and SBA paper tomorrow morning. Must get back to last minute cramming.
    :work:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    Choice of;

A. Neuroscience

B. Molecular Medicine

C. Myocardial, Vascular & Respiratory Biology

D. Infection & Immunity

E. Signalling in Health and Disease
    Oh wow, that seems really limited compared to what we get one of my friends is doing engineering as his part II (intercalated year)

ReputationRep:
    OCSE tomorrow. ****.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    OCSE tomorrow. ****.
    Do you know what stations you have?

I've got my hip and shoulder examinations down to a tidy 3:20, allowing some spare time for panicking/forgetting what I'm meant to do next :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Do you know what stations you have?

I've got my hip and shoulder examinations down to a tidy 3:20, allowing some spare time for panicking/forgetting what I'm meant to do next :p:
    History taking, record keeping, ethics, CV exam, resp exam, CV/resp history, adult/infant BLS, blood pressure, peak flow, JVP and peripheral pulses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    You'll also get the option of doing an option in Experimental Psychology, which will be a term's worth of lectures and tutorials (~8L/6T)

... I wouldn't recommend it.
    does anyone actually do it? it sounds really good but like a huge amount of work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    does anyone actually do it? it sounds really good but like a huge amount of work
    About one a person a year does. Then they realise their exams finish after everyone else a feel a wally.

It's not that much extra work if you take one during trinity when you're free (although not sure if you can do that now your exams have moved) and it's definitely not much extra work when you do what I did and start revising two days before (woops).

If you're considering taking it then let me know and I'll give you a list of pros and cons.

Can anyone recommend where I can order a suture kit for practising? I've come across a few sites but I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations, eg, types, prices, etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
      In less than 24 hours my finals will be over (and I'll probably have failed!!!) How to learn 5 years of medicine in 17hrs...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
      Can anyone recommend where I can order a suture kit for practising? I've come across a few sites but I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations, eg, types, prices, etc.

Thanks!
      Nick some sutures, a needle holder, toothed and non-toothed forceps and practice on chicken legs, bananas, pig trotters.

You should be able to get the kit from a friendly A&E doctor or theatre staff, and use a disposable (single-use) suture kit from most wards or A&E.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      I'm starting to make some progress on immunology :woo:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
      I'm starting to make some progress on immunology :woo:
      It took me a good two and half years to understand immunology, I'm still a little shakey about hypersensitivity reactions but I'm ok as long as I don't ask too many 'why does that happen though?' :rolleyes:

(Original post by visesh)
        Nick some sutures, a needle holder, toothed and non-toothed forceps and practice on chicken legs, bananas, pig trotters.

You should be able to get the kit from a friendly A&E doctor or theatre staff, and use a disposable (single-use) suture kit from most wards or A&E.
        Good tip, though I don't have access to A&E right now. One for the future.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Kinkerz)
        Imperial do pharmacology? Wonder if (1) it'll be open to externals and (2) whether it'll be popular with internals.
        There used to be a pharmacology option several years back but it got canned, and now it's been brought back. If it runs smoothly in 2011-12 (which I hope it does!) they may increase the places available and open it up to externals for 12-13.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ali_)
        There used to be a pharmacology option several years back but it got canned, and now it's been brought back. If it runs smoothly in 2011-12 (which I hope it does!) they may increase the places available and open it up to externals for 12-13.
        Out of sheer curiosity, do you know the ratios of applicants/places for this years external applications?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by crazylemon)
        I really have no idea which one I want to do...
        In the proper bsc fair next year all the course leaders will give talks and will be running stands, which should help.

I have a feeling not many people will want to do haem...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
        Out of sheer curiosity, do you know the ratios of applicants/places for this years external applications?
        Im afraid not, but I know that as of last month there were still places left on cardio, endo, haem, global health, immunology, repro, resp and surgery, and that gastro, management and neuro were oversubscribed by internal students.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ali_)
        In the proper bsc fair next year all the course leaders will give talks and will be running stands, which should help.

I have a feeling not many people will want to do haem...
        Why even more so now? I know it is no longer Haemaholiday which greatly saddens me...I will look forward to the fair although some have already been crossed off :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by crazylemon)
        Why even more so now? I know it is no longer Haemaholiday which greatly saddens me...I will look forward to the fair although some have already been crossed off :p:
        Loads chose it this year even though its no longer a holiday, but I thought the S&P fiasco may dissuade people...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.