Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    So many of these fs.

Whether you get an interview will mainly depend on your score in the ELAT, GCSE's are only a rough guide. Besides, you've sent off your application already, so just focus on getting a good score on the ELAT, and stop focussing on matters out of your control
    Yes it seems as though every other question on TSR is about whether someone's grades are good enough for Oxbridge doesn't it! Surely if an applicant is concerned about one part of their application, just focus on doing well in the other areas, instead of asking TSR. There are too many of these questions on here, it's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this has probably already been asked but does anyone know how much emphasis Oxford put on the LNAT relative to other aspects of the application in terms of invitation for interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraxmarie)
    I don't know if this has probably already been asked but does anyone know how much emphasis Oxford put on the LNAT relative to other aspects of the application in terms of invitation for interview?
    I think admissions tests generally are used to whittle down the numbers of people they interview. It's an easy way to weed people out at that stage and it's sensible as they can't interview everyone whose jostling for a place and have very similar GCSEs, AS, reference and PS. I think they also take into account contextual factors, extenuating circumstances etc.
    I know you've already done the LNAT so I can't say something like "just try and get the highest score you can" but hopefully yours is high enough to merit being called to interview. They say they use GCSEs and admissions test performance to decide who is and who is not interviewed, this is true of all the admissions tests I think. However. sometimes they can interview more than the figure stated in the prospectus for each subject. I have heard that for my own subject (HisPol) Trinity College typically interviews quite a high percentage of applicants as there aren't that many to begin with, but I'm still going to try to smash the HAT. I hope your admissions test went well btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I think admissions tests generally are used to whittle down the numbers of people they interview. It's an easy way to weed people out at that stage and it's sensible as they can't interview everyone whose jostling for a place and have very similar GCSEs, AS, reference and PS. I think they also take into account contextual factors, extenuating circumstances etc.
    I know you've already done the LNAT so I can't say something like "just try and get the highest score you can" but hopefully yours is high enough to merit being called to interview. They say they use GCSEs and admissions test performance to decide who is and who is not interviewed, this is true of all the admissions tests I think. However. sometimes they can interview more than the figure stated in the prospectus for each subject. I have heard that for my own subject (HisPol) Trinity College typically interviews quite a high percentage of applicants as there aren't that many to begin with, but I'm still going to try to smash the HAT. I hope your admissions test went well btw.
    Thanks so much for such a detailed reply, that's great help! The LNAT is such an abstract test it's hard to know how it went to be honest, I did it in early October! But my GCSEs are pretty strong so hopefully if I didn't do as well as I'd have liked it will offset it a tad! I applied to LMH, so I will have a dig around in their stats. Best of luck with your application and your HAT too, fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    I find it ridiculous that we can't be given our LNAT scores as soon as we finish or at least two weeks/a month after. It's not fair that depending when you take it you could wait >3 months or <2 weeks.

I'm dying to know how I did, I didn't do any practice tests beforehand so I don't even have a guess. I thought it went well, but seeing that getting "only" 10 wrong is seen as a miracle I must be overestimating my performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraxmarie)
    Thanks so much for such a detailed reply, that's great help! The LNAT is such an abstract test it's hard to know how it went to be honest, I did it in early October! But my GCSEs are pretty strong so hopefully if I didn't do as well as I'd have liked it will offset it a tad! I applied to LMH, so I will have a dig around in their stats. Best of luck with your application and your HAT too, fingers crossed
    Thank you.

I have also heard from the admissions tutor at Trinity that Oxford tend to interview 3 people per place so if you found out how many people LMH accepted last year I'm sure you could work out how many roughly are called to interview.
    I found this page really useful when finding out about interviews/offers by college for each subject:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-...-success-rates

Hope this is useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebklaine)
    I find it ridiculous that we can't be given our LNAT scores as soon as we finish or at least two weeks/a month after. It's not fair that depending when you take it you could wait >3 months or <2 weeks.

I'm dying to know how I did, I didn't do any practice tests beforehand so I don't even have a guess. I thought it went well, but seeing that getting "only" 10 wrong is seen as a miracle I must be overestimating my performance.
    Pftt everyone elses admission test scores are only released (if your request it) in January so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Pftt everyone elses admission test scores are only released (if your request it) in January so
    Really? Medics have it really good then XD we get our UKCAT scores straight after finishing and we get our BMAT scores on the 25th of November

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Really? Medics have it really good then XD we get our UKCAT scores straight after finishing and we get our BMAT scores on the 25th of November

Haha luck you!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else really worried for the BMAT? I want to do well but I don't think it's going to go that way haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Is anyone else really worried for the BMAT? I want to do well but I don't think it's going to go that way haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try not to stress about it! I'm also a medic and I'm worried (I've applied to 2 BMAT unis), but just try your hardest, that's the best you can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so worried!! my marks fluctuate so much as well, sometimes I'm getting 4s (so bad i know) and sometimes I get 6s I have no idea how I'm doing section 3-wise either :/ how's your prep going?

ReputationRep:
    BMAT students, you guys are also slowly giving up on the test ? :')

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else submitted written work yet? It took quite a while to scan everything and attach is at a PDF. I keep thinking it's going to be returned due to me not doing it right lol
    Yeah, I have done. I sent mine off by post and I'm also doubting whether I've done everything right and whether they'll even get it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes it seems as though every other question on TSR is about whether someone's grades are good enough for Oxbridge doesn't it! Surely if an applicant is concerned about one part of their application, just focus on doing well in the other areas, instead of asking TSR. There are too many of these questions on here, it's annoying.
    LOL. Feel for those current students/alumni who get zillions of PMs as well as these questions

Annoying as it can get, there is a LOT of bad information put out there, mostly by the media but also by fellow applicants. It's understandable that people get confused and insecure! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Any Brasenose History applicants?
    Yep....History Ancient and Modern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxfordmist)
    Yep....History Ancient and Modern.
    coooool...I know someone who does that course

ReputationRep:
    Do they enjoy it?
    Just started to practice some HAT papers...I work well under pressure haha!

ReputationRep:
    I work well under pressure haha!
    You too ? I had to push myself to start practicing last week ! Studying for the ELAT and MLAT though

ReputationRep:
    Do they enjoy it?
    Just started to practice some HAT papers...I work well under pressure haha!
    Same, but not when the exam is this close. I started studying really hard for PAT since September and I'm really glad I have at least Section A in the bag

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.