Evening..
Morning.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Wether you call it left or right it doesn't matter. Its just words. The compass removes the problem. The left tend to occupy the bottom left corner and the right the top right corner. What's wrong with that?
Becuase:

1. That catagorises behaviour rather than defining an ideology.

2. Two because it acts as if left and right are seperate from libertarian vs authoritarian leanings when factually, this is how we define economic left and right, so this is a logical contradiction.

3. Knowing which state reflects what ideology is important.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Morning to everyone.

Before I joined the House when first elected, I thought a compass was only to be found in a pencil case. I have learnt a lot since.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lmaooo^
----------
I just bought something on Amazon, and as it brought me to the finished page it showed me recommended items based on my browsing history.

One of them is "smirnoff red label vodka"...

goddamn Amazon knows me well.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Becuase:

1. That catagorises behaviour rather than defining an ideology.

2. Two because it acts as if left and right are seperate from libertarian vs authoritarian leanings when factually, this is how we define economic left and right, so this is a logical contradiction.

3. Knowing which state reflects what ideology is important.

No on the compass the left and right sides are the economic ones.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No on the compass the left and right sides are the economic ones.
And that's what I think is wrong. Because the reason for the distinction between left and right can be applied to the State as a whole, there's no reason to distinguish up and down as if it's a separate criteria. The only reason one would want to is to link conservative States to right because they don't want to deal with questions such as the Nazis being as far right as you get told they are in GCSE history.

This makes perfect sense when you see where they rank labour on the compass; they're clearly one of those "labour are secret Tories we need to vote the greens or the communists to get back to the centre left" nut cases.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And that's what I think is wrong. Because the reason for the distinction between left and right can be applied to the State as a whole, there's no reason to distinguish up and down as if it's a separate criteria. The only reason one would want to is to link conservative States to right because they don't want to deal with questions such as the Nazis being as far right as you get told they are in GCSE history.

This makes perfect sense when you see where they rank labour on the compass; they're clearly one of those "labour are secret Tories we need to vote the greens or the communists to get back to the centre left" nut cases.
The Nazis were far right socially because they believed in racial supremacy. i.e. not equality. They were economically all over the place as a populist party. They implemented left-wing measures for the war effort as did virtually every country.

Of course up and down are separate criteria. Economic and social left and right are totally different. You can be economically left and socially right (e.g. BNP) or economically left and socially left (e.g. Greens) or economically right and socially left (e.g. Libertarianism) or economically right and socially right (e.g. Thatcherite).

The political compass website is ****e, but the theory is perfectly solid.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
I think it will, yes. Also, I don't think it's rude to say that you don't agree with the RL Green Party's economic policies. I feel the same way about some of the Conservative policies, especially where they hurt the poorest and most vulnerable members of our society. But then, I don't agree with the RL Green Party on everything. And I know that there are Conservative members here who don't agree with all the Conservative policies, either.
Ah excellent, and it's more that I wasn't in the mood to offend some RL Greens who would start a 'but you smell more!' debate about Tory vs Green policies. There's a lot of RL Tory policies that I disagree with, but for me, it is more a question of who is the least awful.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
"smirnoff red label vodka"
Disgusting.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Disgusting.
I actually agree, it's not the best.

I prefer Absolut to Smirnoff.

Then again I can't say I've ever drank vodka just for taste.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Nazis were far right socially because they believed in racial supremacy. i.e. not equality. They were economically all over the place as a populist party. They implemented left-wing measures for the war effort as did virtually every country.

Of course up and down are separate criteria. Economic and social left and right are totally different. You can be economically left and socially right (e.g. BNP) or economically left and socially left (e.g. Greens) or economically right and socially left (e.g. Libertarianism) or economically right and socially right (e.g. Thatcherite).

The political compass website is ****e, but the theory is perfectly solid.
Well, socially left countries did things like discriminate against religious believers. So there are clearly exceptions to that rule.

I don't see how values such as fairness are inherently left or right because both the left and right have their idea of fairness. I think you're confusing correlation with causation; more right wingers happen to be conservative, and more societies in the pat were authoritarian and anti civil rights.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May the Fourth be with everyone!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Care far more about May the seventh.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago

Absolut is okay for a middle market vodka, the best in my opinion is Belvedere although there's another camp that prefers Grey Goose... That camp is wrong and one day they'll all be shot!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, socially left countries did things like discriminate against religious believers. So there are clearly exceptions to that rule.

I don't see how values such as fairness are inherently left or right because both the left and right have their idea of fairness. I think you're confusing correlation with causation; more right wingers happen to be conservative, and more societies in the pat were authoritarian and anti civil rights.
'socially left' is a label. If I, as a left wing individual, did something right wing would my actions change the definition of being left wing? Of course not.

It is very clear what left and right are both economically and socially.

I'm confusing nothing, your confusing me with the other people you've had this discussion with - I never said anything about conservatives being right wing.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I can say every vodka I've ever drank tasted the same. It's like 10% vodka, 90% marketing. :dontknow: I don't like any vodka, in fact.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apologies everyone for the sporadic appearances on here, and if I'm seeming a bit off handed with anyone. If I'm honest, I'm not doing the best.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
PRSOM!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Prefer Russian Standard myself if i must drink Vodka. That said it's awful stuff and why you'd not drink Disaronno is beyond me.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Apologies everyone for the sporadic appearances on here, and if I'm seeming a bit off handed with anyone. If I'm honest, I'm not doing the best.
You're a liberal. "The government who governs least governs best". You're doing what you're supposed to
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
7.09%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.24%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.54%
It might lead to more bullying (91)
35.83%
There's nothing they could do (77)
30.31%

Watched Threads