• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    This is a House of the written word. I have no wish to communicating the business of this House by Skype- I will save that for friends who have moved abroad.
    To be fair, I don't think any of the House matters are ever really discussed seriously on there like we do on here...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm not a fan of off-site communication. The discussion of MHoC issues, even trivial things, should only take place on the forum where everyone can read it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm not a fan of off-site communication. The discussion of MHoC issues, even trivial things, should only take place on the forum where everyone can read it.
    So you mean we should get rid of private subforums and not be allowed to PM anybody about anything relating to the house?

Ultimately offsite comms are really just PMing dome way more effectively

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So you mean we should get rid of private subforums and not be allowed to PM anybody about anything relating to the house?

Ultimately offsite comms are really just PMing dome way more effectively

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Obviously not, hence why I said "off-site". :rolleyes: Private forums and PMs can be moderated by the ST, SL and CT, Skype chats can't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Obviously not, hence why I said "off-site". :rolleyes: Private forums and PMs can be moderated by the ST, SL and CT, Skype chats can't.
    Can, but generally aren't.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can, but generally aren't.
    Not the point.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, most of what's discussed on the Skype chat is more personal. No-one's been discussing the House's business in too much detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Strictly speaking, they are also against TSR rules.
    Off-site comms aren't against TSR rules at all. What members say and do outside of the House cannot be used against them inside the House.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nah, reason to do more off site communication so I'm used to how everyone sounds.....the more the merrier
    My views on this are well known, but I agree with Aph's point about activity. Sure, it may not happen today, but I think it's very much a slippery slope that will either decrease activity here in the long run or there'll be some problem which comes back onsite and then needs mod intervention - need I remind people of the whole twitter stalking incident or whatever it was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    My views on this are well known, but I agree with Aph's point about activity. Sure, it may not happen today, but I think it's very much a slippery slope that will either decrease activity here in the long run or there'll be some problem which comes back onsite and then needs mod intervention - need I remind people of the whole twitter stalking incident or whatever it was?
    To pass and debate on legislation, as well as vote, members need to remain active in the House. I honestly see no reason why off-site comms will cause a decrease in activity.

As for off-site problems, maybe you should make it clear that what goes on outside stays outside. If arguments continue here, then the members concerned should be warned or (in very extreme cases) banned.

ReputationRep:
    Moderation on MHoC is ultimately a bad thing because TSR rules require it to be overly keen. I should be able to tell someone to **** off when their argument is patently ridiculous.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    As for off-site problems, maybe you should make it clear that what goes on outside stays outside. If arguments continue here, then the members concerned should be warned or (in very extreme cases) banned.
    On this point, the problem is that you can't - if an issue is brought onsite, then it becomes a moderation issue here, but one which is far more difficult to handle because of the offsite chat element.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    On this point, the problem is that you can't - if an issue is brought onsite, then it becomes a moderation issue here, but one which is far more difficult to handle because of the offsite chat element.
    :ditto:

*steals item of furniture in protest of complications*
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Pretty sure the moderation argument comes up every time, and it's very hard to manage... In my opinion, if you're incapable of holding off site communication without threatening someone with something, you're too immature to be online.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Pretty sure the moderation argument comes up every time, and it's very hard to manage... In my opinion, if you're incapable of holding off site communication without threatening someone with something, you're too immature to be online.
    It does and that's because it's a valid argument and concern. I agree with your last sentence, but we also know at times that maturity isn't always the House's strong suit.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It does and that's because it's a valid argument and concern. I agree with your last sentence, but we also know at times that maturity isn't always the House's strong suit.
    Yeh, I just mean, it'd almost be easier to post a ****ing post saying about it xD

Yeh of course haha, and it'd be incredibly boring if no one ever had no fun xD
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yeh, I just mean, it'd almost be easier to post a ****ing post saying about it xD

Yeh of course haha, and it'd be incredibly boring if no one ever had no fun xD
    Quite, but when it already takes ages to get things done around here, CT are hardly going to be happy if we create more work for them because of some offsite chat issue.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Quite, but when it already takes ages to get things done around here, CT are hardly going to be happy if we create more work for them because of some offsite chat issue.
    Nope :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    If anyone makes threats to people on skype, I will hunt them down and beat the **** out of them.

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    If anyone makes threats to people on skype, I will hunt them down and beat the **** out of them.

Uh huh... same to people on TSR

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.