Pepsi (Cool & Crisp)
    36.56%
    Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Surely they are better in BINARY!

:nothing:
    In Chinese some tongue twisters are pronounceable, readable but incomprehensible when heard.

ReputationRep:
    \displaystyle\frac{12 + 144 + 20 + 3 \times \sqrt{4}}{7} + 5 \times 11 = 9^2 + 0.

Spoiler:
    Show
    A dozen, a gross, and a score
    Plus three times the square root of four
    Divided by seven
    Plus five times eleven
    Is nine squared and not a bit more.

Shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bex285)
    Who's this guy?! :eek:
    dunno.

Hypermnesia. Not my fault :sad:
    I actually have this as well, to an extent. I can also lipread :lolwut: something that i've always considered normal and all my friends freak out and think it's awesome that I can remember so many things and lipread. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    \displaystyle\frac{12 + 144 + 20 + 3 \times \sqrt{4}}{7} + 5 \times 11 = 9^2 + 0.

Spoiler:
    Show
    A dozen, a gross, and a score
    Plus three times the square root of four
    Divided by seven
    Plus five times eleven
    Is nine squared and not a bit more.

Shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia.
    This is old old old:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo...uffalo_buffalo

ReputationRep:
    Every single conversation is stored in your head for perfect recall years later.
    How good is the temporal identity of these memories? That is, if I asked what I'd said on the 27th March 2005, would you have a chance of knowing what I was talking about?

Are you sure? It's the proper condition. It's just a step under photographic/eidetic memory. And sometimes it's a pain the ass because you will mostly ALWAYS be right about something when you recall it and someone ELSE WILL LIE and you will be like THATS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED. You realise people have such horrible memories even the ones that claim they have "excellent memories". Every single conversation is stored in your head for perfect recall years later. Word by word recall.

As for lipreading? Seriously? That's an awesome ability to have picked up. I'm into deception/microexpressions/facial body language/body language :cool:
    Okay, maybe not the full blown condition, but I can remember conversations from a few years back word for word. I also remember specific mundane events well and also big, fun/serious events as well. It annoys me, when I can remember something so well, but my friends or someone else say that isn't what happened.

I can lipread, have been for as long as I can remember, it's pretty amusing sometimes. I can read body language well too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    night guys

ReputationRep:
    Not date-wise, no. But if you asked what did I say word for word that day I met you in Glasgow. (Gave me a place/event - something to identify where it happened rather than when) then I would be able to recall everything. Word for word. Even the way you said things, what parts you were being sarcastic at. And this can be years later and not just one person. Every single conversation I have ever had IRL.

I'm not even exaggerating in the slightest...
    *tests* What was the first thing you quoted me on TSR? :p:

You should get into deception then :yep:

Read up on some Paul Ekman. All those eyebrow movements, twitches, fake smiles, suppressed anger, fake anger all become so clear.
    I take it you watched 'Lie To Me' the night before the higher english exam? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's not reading, silly. :p: Else, I would have got As for my exams. It's conversations in real life, events, actions that people do in precise, precise detail.
    Interesting. You should declare yourself sight-challenged and order all your revision stuff (and exams) in audio format.

Also can't you do this with lessons given by a teacher?

I LOVE Lie to Me :love:

And it's all enhanced by the fact that it's based on the real life research (20 years worth) by Ekman. I would really love to accumulate that wealth of knowledge for myself. :yep:
    Any links to anything by him? I went on his website, but you need to pay for it all.

I couldn't find anything initially, for free that is. :no:

:o: I bought like 7 books on Amazon on the subject. I don't recommend you do the same. :p:

Sorry I can't be off much help. That *******! charging us for his knowledge.

But you're lucky anyway YOU LIP READER. :sigh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_Project
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microexpression
    Lipreading can be amusing sometimes, but it's annoying when you can see at breaks two people standing together talking nastily about a friend or yourself. It's good for standing up to them and telling them what they said, they look freaked out. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Lipreading can be amusing sometimes, but it's annoying when you can see at breaks two people standing together talking nastily about a friend or yourself. It's good for standing up to them and telling them what they said, they look freaked out. :awesome:
    You can't lip read another language :awesome:

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    I would be able to lipread Italian and Spanish. :p: Quite badly, I must say.

ReputationRep:
    Facial expressions/microexpressions/body language however surpass this boundary because they are universal. :yep:
    This really isn't true. Expressions are a societal trait, which is why feral children (protip: I wouldn't start looking too closely at any specific cases unless you want to hear some really upsetting stories ) often have different or wholly absent expressions.

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    Out of curiosity, is it even technically possible to lipread Chinese, since it's tonal?

ReputationRep:
    There are always exceptions :rolleyes: such as with people who cannot smile when told to but can smile when they are actually happy (meaning they are not able to hide pain beneath a smile) and people who cannot smile when they are "happy" but can smile when told to at will (these people find it easy to deceive people into thinking they are "happy" )
    Okay, I picked an extreme example for the interest. On a more mundane level, you will find variations in reaction between societies. For example, research shows that East Asian expressions (and correspondingly the perception thereof) are more eye-focussed than in the West. I don't think I'm entirely disagreeing with you, just more suggesting it's not nearly so clean-cut.

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through the second of 4 questions of 4 collections of questions. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    This really isn't true. Expressions are a societal trait, which is why feral children (protip: I wouldn't start looking too closely at any specific cases unless you want to hear some really upsetting stories ) often have different or wholly absent expressions.

Out of curiosity, is it even technically possible to lipread Chinese, since it's tonal?
    You can get the jist of it. In spoken Chinese the information is reduced from the written form already because your brain has to pick the right word out of all the homophones that match the specific syllable + tone combination. If you lipread you'll get the syllable which means it's far less accurate but you might still work something out based on the contex.

ReputationRep:
    Something interesting on False Anger.

If someone speaks angrily THEN slams their fist on the table, the anger is false.
    If someone slams their fist on the table THEN speaks angrily, the anger is true.

I think I got the order right :awesome:

If someone's figure is pointing in another direction whilst they are directing their words towards you, they are most likely lying because their brain is working so hard to construct the story the brain isn't telling the finger to point at you rather than the door.
    Just imagine someone doing this - it looks unnatural and certainly an overaction.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.