Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I'd volunteered in about 3/4 different schools before I got onto the course. I just used a CRB from a different volunteer position with an autism charity. I haven't met a school that weren't happy with that, but they all wanted to take a copy which I think is standard.

I can't remember the personal statement limit but it's the same as for your undergraduate degree IIRC. Good luck with your application! Have you started volunteering in school yet? I think most schools look for about 10 days experience as a minimum but they are flexible.

---

Can't believe week 3 is over already! I'm teaching for 15 minutes next week which doesn't sound like much but they're slowly building us up. I'm looking forward to it. Loving the PGCE so far even if it is a lot of work!
    Hi Alabelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad you are settled on to the course and it is going well for you.

It is such a lengthy process just getting on a place. Did the schools just photocopy the CRB you got done initially and do you know if I will receive a certificate for the one the primary school sent off for?

Anyways, all the best with the rest of your course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    Haha, no, bit further north! Are you doing it the same way there then? I got placed in a year one class, eep!
    Winchester did things was exactly the same! Found out I'm in Year 3 for this placement which I'm quite excited about. Although this means my longer placement will be in KS1 which makes me slightly nervous as I'm not confident at all with this Key Stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilymc)
    Hi Alabelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad you are settled on to the course and it is going well for you.

It is such a lengthy process just getting on a place. Did the schools just photocopy the CRB you got done initially and do you know if I will receive a certificate for the one the primary school sent off for?

Anyways, all the best with the rest of your course
    It is a lengthy process but it's set up that way because (as you may know) the course is demanding and involves a lot of hoop-jumping/paperwork. Be persistent when trying to get a placement in schools, make it clear that you're there to help and be polite but don't let them forget about you. If you already have a certificate, schools will just take a photocopy of that. If you don't already have one, you may have to get a school to send off for one for you. It will arrive at your house and you will have to show them it.

Thanks, if you have any more questions feel free to pm me!

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, how long is planning taking you people per 1 hour lesson?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have a formative assessment task tomorrow to teach a plenary to my peers but I'm feeling absolutely rotten. Had to have last Tuesday off but struggled through school placement because I didn't want to miss any days. I really don't want tomorrow off uni but I think I'm making myself sicker by not resting up.

Should I just stay in bed tomorrow? I have a two hour commute each way so it's not like I can even nip in to do my part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayB23)
    Just curious, how long is planning taking you people per 1 hour lesson?
    A good three hours, maybe more! I've had to plan two literacy lessons this week, plus a 1-1 maths session, a small group maths intervention and guiding reading. I spent most of the day Thursday doing it, all Friday evening, two hours yesterday and two hours today.
    I'm sure we will get quicker, it can't get longer!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    A good three hours, maybe more! I've had to plan two literacy lessons this week, plus a 1-1 maths session, a small group maths intervention and guiding reading. I spent most of the day Thursday doing it, all Friday evening, two hours yesterday and two hours today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're over thinking it way too much if its taking you that long. I'm doing Schools Direct too and most lesson planning can be done in around 15 minutes provided you know what resources you have access too. I've done quite a few different tasks now. I am taking a whole class phonics class in year 2 next week and supporting on a reception one too.

We've had a lot of music lectures recently and I am very weak in that area. I am fairly confident in everything else but music is so hard. I am not at all musical so I find it v difficult. I imagine I can just blag my way through it though.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, that's too long. You can't sustain that. You need to find a way to cut your lesson planning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone tried the 5 minute lesson plan? If so how did you get along wuth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nearly everyone starts off taking longer than needed, and gets quicker.

Really I think it's about figuring out what is important. When you first start you get given all these headings and feel you have to put everything in when in reality some things need less detail. You just have to figure out what those things are.

Look at your mentor/class teachers planning to get help. Try and stick to only that level of detail.

It also varies on the individual as some teachers like to have their plans written out like a script. If this is you it will of course take a bit longer but should still get a lot quicker than it is currently.

Another thing that I find helps is longer term planning. If I jot down what I'm gonna do for a sequence of lessons in spare moments, on the bus etc then when it comes to planning I already have the ideas and just need to fill in the schools proforma.

Just remember, your plans should be for you, to help you teach better. I know schools asking for certain formats makes that harder to stick to but try to bring it back to that all the time. If you're sitting there taking ages on something you know won't help you teach better, stop and just tick the boxes then make better use of your time.

Don't worry it will get easier!!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    You're over thinking it way too much if its taking you that long. I'm doing Schools Direct too and most lesson planning can be done in around 15 minutes provided you know what resources you have access too. I've done quite a few different tasks now. I am taking a whole class phonics class in year 2 next week and supporting on a reception one too.

We've had a lot of music lectures recently and I am very weak in that area. I am fairly confident in everything else but music is so hard. I am not at all musical so I find it v difficult. I imagine I can just blag my way through it though.
    I don't think I'm overthinking at all! This is my first time planning. If I did it in 15 minutes then I'd be doing something wrong.
    Obviously I'm just finding my way round the lesson plans that we have to fill in, and the abilities of each child eg what groups they are in. As I get further along, I'll know that sort of thing without having to check. I'm not worried at all! I think it's better for me to take my time now, and learn everything than to take shortcuts now and make mistakes later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Nearly everyone starts off taking longer than needed, and gets quicker.

Really I think it's about figuring out what is important. When you first start you get given all these headings and feel you have to put everything in when in reality some things need less detail. You just have to figure out what those things are.

Look at your mentor/class teachers planning to get help. Try and stick to only that level of detail.

It also varies on the individual as some teachers like to have their plans written out like a script. If this is you it will of course take a bit longer but should still get a lot quicker than it is currently.

Another thing that I find helps is longer term planning. If I jot down what I'm gonna do for a sequence of lessons in spare moments, on the bus etc then when it comes to planning I already have the ideas and just need to fill in the schools proforma.

Just remember, your plans should be for you, to help you teach better. I know schools asking for certain formats makes that harder to stick to but try to bring it back to that all the time. If you're sitting there taking ages on something you know won't help you teach better, stop and just tick the boxes then make better use of your time.

Don't worry it will get easier!!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My class teacher doesn't plan...

I'm not worried at all this is my first time planning. Obviously I'm going to spend a while perfecting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So! Taught my first ever lesson today, both good and bad feedback. From the good side my mentor said i came across as really comfortable and relaxed so the pupils responded to that (as opposed to coming across nervous). On the negative side, they said i needed to make the objectives of the lesson clear to my kids as apparently they got what they were doing but not really what timeline i'd put on the work. Also apparently i need to up my classroom management as there were a couple of times when i didn't spot that kids were talking when i had someone answering a question to the class...not awful but I'm a bit gutted about the objectives bit!

ReputationRep:
    My class teacher doesn't plan...

I'm not worried at all this is my first time planning. Obviously I'm going to spend a while perfecting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good!

And ohh, that's cool. I work in early years and really want to try not writing plans, only reflections and assessment, or perhaps a form of "retrospective planning". But I'm yet to work in a setting where they don't require a specific format for plans.

(Original post by Ratchit99)
    So! Taught my first ever lesson today, both good and bad feedback. From the good side my mentor said i came across as really comfortable and relaxed so the pupils responded to that (as opposed to coming across nervous). On the negative side, they said i needed to make the objectives of the lesson clear to my kids as apparently they got what they were doing but not really what timeline i'd put on the work. Also apparently i need to up my classroom management as there were a couple of times when i didn't spot that kids were talking when i had someone answering a question to the class...not awful but I'm a bit gutted about the objectives bit!
    That sounds pretty good to me. Plus the attitude/comfortable thing is a really good positive to have- something like clearly passing on timeframes is easy to achieve/evidence when you know it's a target

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Good!

That sounds pretty good to me. Plus the attitude/comfortable thing is a really good positive to have- something like clearly passing on timeframes is easy to achieve/evidence when you know it's a target

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, i guess it does make life easier to known presentation is done, but now im really nervous that im not going to have the work finished by the end of next lesson so it can be levelled
    Just have to try my best i guess!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Placement day one today!!!!!

Lovely class, lovely school - feel a little like I dont know what I am supposed to be doing but so far so good! How is everyone getting on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantaltyler)
    Hi guys

Placement day one today!!!!!

Lovely class, lovely school - feel a little like I dont know what I am supposed to be doing but so far so good! How is everyone getting on?
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Thanks, i guess it does make life easier to known presentation is done, but now im really nervous that im not going to have the work finished by the end of next lesson so it can be levelled
    Just have to try my best i guess!
    I wouldn't feel really worried about that, it's your first two lessons, things will go wrong. Things will go wrong sometimes even as an experienced teacher. I found time one of the hardest things to figure out, as a normal school day feels so rushed to me- you're trying to fit lots in to a very short time, and I worry that I'm not doing it justice.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys,

I wanted to by a teacher's planner - particularly the pirong's range as my tutor has one and they reviews are good.

I looked on the website and with VAT and delivery charges it goes upto 20 something quid - is that a bit much to spend on a planner? :|

Anyone know of alternative sites or shops I can get this specific brand?

I tried amazon but they only have 5 lesson planner and I need 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hiya guys,

I wanted to by a teacher's planner - particularly the pirong's range as my tutor has one and they reviews are good.

I looked on the website and with VAT and delivery charges it goes upto 20 something quid - is that a bit much to spend on a planner? :|

Anyone know of alternative sites or shops I can get this specific brand?

I tried amazon but they only have 5 lesson planner and I need 6!
    I don't think it's too much to spend if it's going to help you keep organised. Organisation and knowing what you have to do is very important as a teacher (to me at least!).

Having said that I am a bit of a stationery geek so I spend that much on a nice diary anyway. I find it takes time and practice to work out what suits you, so don't be too disappointed if you buy it and find some elements don't work and you want to try a different one next year, or add a notepad or something.

Some other options that teachers can use:

Personalised planner - reasonable price for the amount of personalisation, have some teacher options
    http://www.personal-planner.co.uk/EN/

Filofax - if you want to go the whole hog you can print or even design and print your own inserts, to make it exactly how you want it.

Erin Condren - super super expensive, but gets rave reviews!! Personally don't think it'd work for me - too much of the stuff in the book I have to record somewhere else/digitally anyway. But if you're working somewhere where you're more in charge of your own organisation then it does look pretty swish.

Or just standard, A4 page to a day diaries, if you like to plan everything.

I personally have a diary that I like the design layout of for personal and work use, then have a separate notepad for work to dos and jotting down planning ideas.

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.