Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't see any way back for Federer now.

ReputationRep:
    Federer still alive in this match, far from over yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Federer still alive in this match, far from over yet
    Federer alive and kicking for now.

For now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Federer been serving in this fourth set like he's drunk or in a coma.

Edit: just don't understand how he could look so tired in the fourth set. His run through to the final was nigh on perfect and he's only 33.

ReputationRep:
    Poor 4th set from Federer.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible win for Djokovic he was just too solid and saved his best for the final. Feel for Federer but the better player won it today. First time since 2011 Djokovic has won more than 1 slam, testament to how well he's played this year

ReputationRep:
    Nice win from Djokovic. Easiest £95 I ever made. I said at the beginning of the tournament that Djokovic was the clear favourite to win the title. Everyone called me a troll when I said that. Now you see why I was right. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Fatigue from the great man.

After 2012 I always thought he had just one more in him. Just one more. Bad luck to be around in the era of Djokovic (Fizzel). Novak has proved himself one of the greatest grass court players ever, taking Federer out like that - the mental strength in the first set decided it. It's a bit depressing but that performance against Murray was one for the ages, and a gift to the tennis world.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed to say the least. Sad that Federer didn't bring his A-game today when he looked so promising on Friday. Djokovic was immaculate though except at the end of the second set. Where was the Djokovic that turned up at the finals of US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013, US Open 2013, French Open 2014? I know this pointless fan boy whining but it's frustrating that Federer can't seem to get a break here against this guy.

Edit: And both times, here and last year, Djokovic got ran close in at least one of the earlier rounds while Roger was completely untroubled, yet Djokovic lifts the trophy both times.

ReputationRep:
    Strange to think that Djokovic now leads Federer 2-1 on grass, something that would've been hard to believe a couple of years ago

ReputationRep:
    Federers wife really doesnt look like a tennis players wife
    Djoks wife though
    Pepper hot

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is an unbelievable force, and he's very hard to beat on any given day. Federer played decent tennis but he needed to replicate Friday's performance to win. Still, he obviously had nothing to prove and Djokovic was too good on the day.

Novak is definitely racking up his slam count now. I reckon he might equal Sampras by the end of his career.

ReputationRep:
    Andrew Castle just can't help himself; whenever there is no one else speaking he thinks he has to fill the gap with utter ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Andrew Castle just can't help himself; whenever there is no one else speaking he thinks he has to fill the gap with utter ****.
    I fully agree with you. He has to be the single most annoying commentator in British sport.

ReputationRep:
    The last set today was just sad. I wanted it to be over so I didn't have to see poor Roger trampled anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    The last set today was just sad. I wanted it to be over so I didn't have to see poor Roger trampled anymore
    He had a good two weeks, to be honest I'm just glad to see him still play and after the level he produced on Friday I'm still rooting for him at flushing meadows, sure he'll be 34 but I heard the same thing last year, don't count the guy out. Also congratulations to Djokovic, he played awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMadClown)
    He had a good two weeks, to be honest I'm just glad to see him still play and after the level he produced on Friday I'm still rooting for him at flushing meadows, sure he'll be 34 but I heard the same thing last year, don't count the guy out. Also congratulations to Djokovic, he played awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He did, he's generally been excellent. It's still not nice to see him playing badly when it matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    Nice win from Djokovic. Easiest £95 I ever made. I said at the beginning of the tournament that Djokovic was the clear favourite to win the title. Everyone called me a troll when I said that. Now you see why I was right. :cool:
    how much did you put down on him?

ReputationRep:
    Ah man, I'm so happy for Novak after the disappointment at the French. If he had lost this match, especially after his second set collapse (missed 7 set points!), it would have been an incredibly tough recovery. Now onto New York. Another 3 slam year please!

It was a weird match. Federer didn't play as well as he did against Murray obviously, and I think Novak was a big part of that. On the face of it, I think Murray is a better player than Djokovic on grass if they are matched up together, but Federer finds Djokovic tougher for three reasons IMO. First of all, Djokovic is a better server and Federer can't exploit the second serve anywhere near as much to make as big of an impact on return games. How many times did Federer run around Murray's WTA second serve on Friday to crush that forehand winner? Certainly a lot more than he was able to against Djokovic. Second, Djokovic is a more aggressive returner and is capable of neutralising the Federer serve by ridiculously dropping seemingly unreturnable serves on the baseline. I think served pretty well (not as well as against Murray obviously), but we saw the GOAT returner in full display here. Third, Djokovic seems to play more aggressively and force Federer back. His depth, at times, is outrageously good.

As I said earlier on in the thread, the biggest thing with Federer now is his consistency. Not just match to match, but set to set. He can't maintain his level against the brutal consistency of Djokovic's groundstrokes, leading to those unforced error shanks we have become sadly accustomed to seeing. I think a lot of them are 'forced' in that Federer feels he needs to go for more because Djokovic can just pummel BHs to Federer's feet.

One thing I found disappointing in Federer's approach is that he didn't go to the net that much. It seemed to me that he was getting a lot of success going there with Djokovic's pathetic lobs and some pretty bad passing shots, but he was too engaged in those baseline rallies, which was a mistake. By the end of the 4th set, I think he should have changed it up and just rushed to the net every opportunity to at least make Novak pass him. I think he was waiting for choke that didn't come.

And very impressed with Novak's ability to withhold is choke in sets 3 and 4. We saw glimpses of classic Chokovic in that second set, but he battened down the hatches and took it comfortably in the end, unlike last year's final

I don't think there's much anyone on tour can do against Novak now. Aside from Wawrinka GOATing, who is capable of stopping him?

ReputationRep:
    Also, this was sad. Yet hilarious. :laugh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.