Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just heard back from white and case re: summer vac's and managed to bag one, so they are replying. There was a guy earlier who was saying that they might not be impressed with first round vid interviews so shot out another few the other day. Not so. I did my interview early feb and heard back today - anyones still game!

Me and another mate still have'nt heard back from Mishcons - assuming PFO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajoset1993)
    Just heard back from white and case re: summer vac's and managed to bag one, so they are replying. There was a guy earlier who was saying that they might not be impressed with first round vid interviews so shot out another few the other day. Not so. I did my interview early feb and heard back today - anyones still game!

Me and another mate still have'nt heard back from Mishcons - assuming PFO
    Can I ask what day you did the vid interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyangelg)
    Can I ask what day you did the vid interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my opinion it doesn't matter, but the 15th ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    So if you're writing a cover letter within an application form and you can't find who to address it to, what is the best thing to do ? Write "Dear Sir or Madam" or find out who the Recruitment Manager is and address it to them?

I've found something online where recruitment manager talks about TC interviews and what the firm looks for etc but it doesn't confirm this anywhere.
    Might be a bit late now but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a quick call in HR/grad recruitment and ask them who it should be addressed to, shouldn't be a problem, I did this for a couple of applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    Just in case this helps anyone: if you are in a situation where you have to reject a firm after you receive an offer due to date clashes, I would advise asking them if you can change your application to a TC application. I had to reject Clifford Chance for a VS but I was still planning on applying for a TC there.

They said to me that they can transfer my application to a TC application and all I will have to do over summer is have a one-hour interview with a partner, rather than repeating the full assessment day.
    Congrats on your fantastic news! Any tips on performing well at the Clifford Chance assessment day? Worried about the case study interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyclaireL)
    did anyone else do the charles russell speechly online tests? has anyone heard? i foud them incredibly difficult!

Hi Kittyclaire,

I completed the CRS tests a week or so ago, and found them absolutely horrendous. Spent all weekend brushing up but nothing compared to the real thing. I ended up guessing most of the numerical, and ran out of time on the logical one. No news yet, so haven't quite given up hope. Can't see it going well for me though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twizzzzzzter)
    Still nothing from Squire's and TLT despite their assurances of a response this week
    I received my invite to SPB's vac scheme on Thursday (having attended an AC on Tuesday!). Hope that helps and sorry if that means you've not been successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingojango)
    Well done on the interview! Hope it goes well. When did you apply? I applied on the 31st, right on the deadline. Also, was it a private number that called you and when is your AC? Thanks so much for your help
    Hi! Sorry for the delay. I applied shortly before the deadline (30 Jan). No, it wasn't a private number. My AC was on Tuesday. I received my offer yesterday. Good luck with your other apps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugo grotius)
    Me three! I'm taking the later two weeks.
    Me four!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejc27)
    Has anyone tried the logical reasoning test for CRS? I completely ran out of time

As did I. You are not alone! The whole process of testing was a disaster for me to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrero247)
    Congrats on your fantastic news! Any tips on performing well at the Clifford Chance assessment day? Worried about the case study interview!
    Sure, just copying something I PM'ed to another member for ease:

I honestly wouldn't worry about the case study, it was the easiest case study I did out of CC, Freshfields and A&O. I wouldn't say it required any 'commercial awareness' as such, just a general understanding of how business and commerce works, e.g. the sorts of things a business needs to think about when considering a merger for example. It wasn't anything overly specific, just general considerations. Let's say it was a merger for example, try to go over general issues like: how it would be financed, what due diligence would be needed, tax structuring, are there any disputes pending, what rights do employees have, etc. and try to relate it back to CC's departments.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sports007;53953909]Anyone heard from Nabarro post AC

Myself and another candidate at my AC heard back positively on Monday; just over a week since the AC

ReputationRep:
    Might be a bit late now but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a quick call in HR/grad recruitment and ask them who it should be addressed to, shouldn't be a problem, I did this for a couple of applications.
    Hey thank you for the reply - I tried calling but couldn't get through - from what I can see, the firm only seems to have one number listed on the website for the firm and no separate number for HR? good luck for all your applications!

ReputationRep:
    Sure, just copying something I PM'ed to another member for ease:

I honestly wouldn't worry about the case study, it was the easiest case study I did out of CC, Freshfields and A&O. I wouldn't say it required any 'commercial awareness' as such, just a general understanding of how business and commerce works, e.g. the sorts of things a business needs to think about when considering a merger for example. It wasn't anything overly specific, just general considerations. Let's say it was a merger for example, try to go over general issues like: how it would be financed, what due diligence would be needed, tax structuring, are there any disputes pending, what rights do employees have, etc. and try to relate it back to CC's departments.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you! That was incredibly reassuring All the best with your vac schemes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian.)
    Anyone heard from eversheds Manchester post telephone?
    Yes, I've been invited to an interview in their office on Wednesday :s They got back to me about 3 weeks after my telephone interview.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything further from Sidley Austin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh thanks, congrats!! Is this London or Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any tips for the Bird & Bird vid interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matic)
    Probs. Easter
    Me too, maybe i'll see you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bibidi)
    A question for anybody who can help:

I've been offered two vacation schemes. One is at Easter and the other is during summer. I would (much) rather work for the firm that I'm completing the summer vacation scheme with.

If I'm offered a training contract at the end of Easter and accept, what stands in the way of me reneging on my acceptance if offered a training contract at the second firm during summer?
    Not really a reply to your question but as i'm in a similar position: is it normal for a firm to offer a TC at the end of an Easter vac?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.