" Hands of the BBC "
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Excellent Queen Speech so far
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why was it no surprise that most SNP MPs stayed in the commons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why was it no surprise that most SNP MPs stayed in the commons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And a few tories i noticed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcparliament

State opening of parliament

" Hands of the BBC "
    Pft, all about parliamentlive.tv

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can dennis ****ing kinner shut the **** up for once in his irrelevant career
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by banterboy)
    Can dennis ****ing kinner shut the **** up for once in his irrelevant career
    The one good thing the SNP has ever done was make Skinner too tired to do much last Queen's Speech.

Excellent Queen Speech so far
    Somebody forgot to put the Sovereignty Bill in it though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcparliament

State opening of parliament

" Hands of the BBC "
    *off

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching for several minutes and it's quite funny how seriously they take themselves and how populistic their policies and arguments are. :laugh:

The bunch thrown in the corner is all Scottish, correct?

ReputationRep:
    BREAKING NEWS;

BMA and the DoH have reached an agreement over the junior doctor contracts. They will be sent out to junior doctors to vote on now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    BREAKING NEWS;

BMA and the DoH have reached an agreement over the junior doctor contracts. They will be sent out to junior doctors to vote on now.
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You're welcome.
    You should be apologising for the unnecessary disruption for patients, the uncertainty over staffing for next term, the refusal to negotiate via ACAS, the misrepresentation of data etc.

I'll be keen to see what the details are and what exactly has changed, it still goes to vote for members but I imagine with BMA approval it will pass. Wonder what's new.

Should have come with Hunt's resignation tbh. Should be crucified for how he's handled this but no doubt this will be spun as a government victory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You're welcome.
    Also, yes, lol, timing couldn't be better for you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    BREAKING NEWS;

I hope it isn't a sign of weakness from Hunt and minimal concessions were made (i.e. the BMA basically said "we'll come back to the table and do an EU")

ReputationRep:
    I hope it isn't a sign of weakness from Hunt and minimal concessions were made (i.e. the BMA basically said "we'll come back to the table and do an EU")
    I'll be seriously disappointed if the BMA caved and Hunt still hasn't addressed the antisocial hour payments. At the very least Hunt should be saying along the lines of "we will aim for a 24/7 NHS, but it needs to be implemented long term, so for now we will seek to trial this"

I expected this to be resolved after 23rd June once the news was no longer Europe saturated, so someone must have caved. They said that 95% of the contract was agreed months ago but I don't believe that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'll be seriously disappointed if the BMA caved and Hunt still hasn't addressed the antisocial hour payments. At the very least Hunt should be saying along the lines of "we will aim for a 24/7 NHS, but it needs to be implemented long term, so for now we will seek to trial this"

I expected this to be resolved after 23rd June once the news was no longer Europe saturated, so someone must have caved. They said that 95% of the contract was agreed months ago but I don't believe that.
    If Hunt caved I will be close to breaking one of my golden rules, which is not to distort politicians' names in a derogatory manner, it continues the erosion of one of the key parts of Thatcher's legacy. Why is it that I can sit here and say without any doubt that Thatcher defeated the public sector unions? It's not just that she came out victorious in the 84-5 miners strike, it's that she showed that the government is in charge and the days of even the most powerful unions running the show were over, even with a (just shy of a) year long strike; now we're back to the days where it takes very little for the government to bend.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested, based on the vague details revealed so far, I'll list what seems to be confirmed with what the BMA/govt initially promised. Full contract details to be revealed May 31st.

# Guardians ARE NOT independent as per BMA request, however will have some junior doctor input (+government)
    # Priority "locum" services to be NHS exclusively, instead of fair competition with private (government led, but no objection here)
    # Basic pay increased if a doctor works more than 1 weekend in 7, with a progressive scale the more weekends you work (+ for BMA)
    # Introduction of nodal pay scheme linking rank to pay, not work to pay (+ for Government)
    # Out of hours pay retained, but cut (compromise)
    # On call pay increased BUT no payment if not used (not sure who benefits there, that's not good for the docs, so a +government there)
    # Cost neutral, with a basic pay increase (+government) with no details of what's cut
    #Hunt guarantees will be "equal" - but no details on maternity leave/research absence, however "training schemes" will be implemented to guarantee this. Funded separately (+BMA)
    #Guardians able to fine for doctors missing multiple breaks IF it's reported (+BMA, sceptical, so I think a +Government too)
    #ACAS to have impartial role overseeing guardian reviews
    #Saturday and Sunday to paid as if they were a weekday (+government)

Outstanding issues;
    - Vague recognition that doctors can report if they are working overtime and "should" be paid for it
    - No recognition that doctors frequently expected to exit EWTD
    - Guardians not to be independent, so sceptical how useful they actually will be, contract theoretically gives them the power to enforce what BMA regard as necessary protections for staff

Meh, seems fairly neutral overall. All depends on those outstanding issues however. Seems like a compromise.

EDIT: Okay, missed the bit about saturday and sunday. Really depends on the guardians now but that probably swings it in favour of government.

ReputationRep:
    If Hunt caved I will be close to breaking one of my golden rules, which is not to distort politicians' names in a derogatory manner, it continues the erosion of one of the key parts of Thatcher's legacy. Why is it that I can sit here and say without any doubt that Thatcher defeated the public sector unions? It's not just that she came out victorious in the 84-5 miners strike, it's that she showed that the government is in charge and the days of even the most powerful unions running the show were over, even with a (just shy of a) year long strike; now we're back to the days where it takes very little for the government to bend.
    As above, to me it seems to be a decent compromise. It's all about the balance between union and govt. Politically I oppose alot of what Hunt promises, but professionally I need to see how he addresses the areas of short staffing, and how he plans on covering the spiralling costs of care (privatising services for example.)

You break the union, you lose I'd say about 25% of the workforce and the NHS collapses. You can import cheap coal, you can't just import doctors. The BMA should have most influence because it is by nature very conservative.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As above, to me it seems to be a decent compromise. It's all about the balance between union and govt. Politically I oppose alot of what Hunt promises, but professionally I need to see how he addresses the areas of short staffing, and how he plans on covering the spiralling costs of care (privatising services for example.)

You break the union, you lose I'd say about 25% of the workforce and the NHS collapses. You can import cheap coal, you can't just import doctors. The BMA should have most influence because it is by nature very conservative.
    A 25% loss would show just how hypocritical the BMA are though, claim to be working in the interests of the NHS and the people but then **** off when they don't get their way, and if we can't import doctors then how come one of the big arguments in favour of staying in the EU is that leaving would stop us importing doctors?

ReputationRep:
    A 25% loss would show just how hypocritical the BMA are though, claim to be working in the interests of the NHS and the people but then **** off when they don't get their way, and if we can't import doctors then how come one of the big arguments in favour of staying in the EU is that leaving would stop us importing doctors?
    That's not the BMAs doing. The BMA has relented on a big concession and backed this deal. Its up to the docs though on whether they want to accept. I wouldn't blame people if they calculate this makes them worse off so decide to leave. If this makes you £10k worse off you're saying they should just suck it up?

You could import SOME junior docs, but they won't be trained to the same level, patients won't like them as much, there may be language barriers, I imagine safety risks will increase and certainly it would take time to implement (and I'd bet they'd end up actually costing more too)

I don't see why leaving the EU would make a difference, if anything there's more NON-EU than EU (not british ) docs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.