Maths Uni Chat Watch

DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
Pretty much. A sequence is compact if it contains a convergent subsequence. Too many words beginning with 'c' to learn, I say.
I've certainly never heard that definition before. (I've never even heard of "compact" as applied to a sequence).

Are you thinking of the result that a metric space (e.g. the interval [0,1]) is compact iff every sequence has a convergent subsequence.
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sequential compactness?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Again, a topological space is sequentially compact iff every sequence has a convergent subsequence.

In other words, you're still talking about a property of the space, not of the sequence.
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
I've certainly never heard that definition before. (I've never even heard of "compact" as applied to a sequence).

Are you thinking of the result that a metric space (e.g. the interval [0,1]) is compact iff every sequence has a convergent subsequence.
Yeah, sorry, I'm being sloppy. Let (M,d) be a metric space; a set K ( M is compact if every sequence contains a convergent subsequence.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
Yeah, sorry, I'm being sloppy. Let (M,d) be a metric space; a set K ( M is compact if every sequence contains a convergent subsequence.
My days, that sounds dry.
Penultimate exam today!
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Penultimate exam today!
That's your future, right there.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used to think topology was just a list of pointless definitions. I can't remember what made me change my mind.
around
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
I used to think topology was just a list of pointless definitions. I can't remember what made me change my mind.
Pointless topology?

Quotient spaces are quite cool though.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bring back the rain and snow! no one asked for this ********************** SUN! grrrr
Trying to revise mechanics is depressing enough without dieing
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
rant
Spoiler:
Show
Holy crap, today's exam was the worst exam I've ever taken. It was so hot and stuffy in the room, the window was open about an inch and it was so HUMID. I kept missing parts of questions and losing track of what I was doing, and then at the end the girl next to me handed in SIX graphs, the guy in front had drawn four... I'd done two. Why give you one piece of graph paper if they expect six graphs?!? argh argh argh

/rant
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
rant
Spoiler:
Show
Holy crap, today's exam was the worst exam I've ever taken. It was so hot and stuffy in the room, the window was open about an inch and it was so HUMID. I kept missing parts of questions and losing track of what I was doing, and then at the end the girl next to me handed in SIX graphs, the guy in front had drawn four... I'd done two. Why give you one piece of graph paper if they expect six graphs?!? argh argh argh

/rant
Which exam was it - stats?
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
Which exam was it - stats?
Yeah, open book as well which makes me feel like 100x the failure :/
I felt really unwell too because it was ridiculously hot, so I left halfway through and lost time just trying not to be sick. Have you ever been in Elvet Hill House?
Edenr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, open book as well which makes me feel like 100x the failure :/
I felt really unwell too because it was ridiculously hot, so I left halfway through and lost time just trying not to be sick. Have you ever been in Elvet Hill House?
Yeah, I was in there on Tuesday. If it makes you feel any better, first year stats was the worst exam I've ever done; it was warm and I had so much stuff on my desk (notes, graph paper, answer book, exam paper, pens, pencils, ruler, water) that it was impossible to do anything efficiently. Plus, stats is so tedious. Bombed it.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Edenr)
Yeah, I was in there on Tuesday. If it makes you feel any better, first year stats was the worst exam I've ever done; it was warm and I had so much stuff on my desk (notes, graph paper, answer book, exam paper, pens, pencils, ruler, water) that it was impossible to do anything efficiently. Plus, stats is so tedious. Bombed it.
(This does make me feel better, if YOU found it hard, then what chance did I have? )
So what did you end up getting?
Hathlan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(This does make me feel better, if YOU found it hard, then what chance did I have? )
So what did you end up getting?
I tired to PM you but your inbox was full :emo:
Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hathlan)
I tired to PM you but your inbox was full
That's what she said.

Here's an educational video for you;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn8j7S4uKU
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hathlan)
I tired to PM you but your inbox was full :emo:
I cleared it, I cleared it!
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Well, I have to learn half a terms work in 2 days. But, yeah first year is to easy everything is stupid. All the proofs are trivial and the only non trivial things I came across are not examinable.

P.S. Found a really good book on geometry by Coxeter. Thought I would download it as I read something called the Coxeter group, so the author is probably a decent mathematician.

Anyway, I better revise now.
studyboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Well, I have to learn half a terms work in 2 days. But, yeah first year is to easy everything is stupid. All the proofs are trivial and the only non trivial things I came across are not examinable.

P.S. Found a really good book on geometry by Coxeter. Thought I would download it as I read something called the Coxeter group, so the author is probably a decent mathematician.

Anyway, I better revise now.
Really? What do you guys do in your first year? What kind of non-trivial proof do you expect?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by studyboy)
Really? What do you guys do in your first year? What kind of non-trivial proof do you expect?
Type manchester and maths you can pretty much find it.

P.S. Well, something that is more than half a page of ad hoc reasoning would be a start. Also, too much bookwork there should be non trivial stuff in the exam instead of joke calculations that a baby could do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
37.98%
No - but I will (53)
7.24%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (348)
47.54%

Watched Threads